Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does a NO vote Mean?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭vanla sighs

K-9 wrote: »
    Guarantees are new. They mightn't be important to you, but they maybe important to others.

The referendum isn't about so-called guarantees, the referendum is about the Lisbon Treaty - a treaty which has not changed. While some concerns of some people who voted No may have been addressed many concerns of many other people who voted No have not been addressed.

Dinner wrote: »
    How come you never mention the work that went on between votes to find out and satisfy the concerns held by the public?

Why should I? The treaty which we rejected has not chnaged.....lol....not a comma, not a word, not a sentence. The people voted on the treaty, the people rejected it, yet the people are now being forced to vote on the very same treaty they have just rejected.....lol It is undemocratic not to accept the will of the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

How come you never mention the work that went on between votes to find out and satisfy the concerns held by the public?

Fair point and well said, we have extracted the best deal possible with those guarantees for a small country, with a NO vote we will end up diplomatically overplaying our hand. Vote Yes and knuckle down to getting this country up and running again. I just wish Lisbon was passed and over.

I have one sentence for you:

To stand still is to go backwards

That is a proven fact in business and life, as a country we must continue to progress at the main political negotiation table or risk isolation. Unfortunately our past boom not only gave us NAMA but an inflated opinion of ourselves (arrogance). Our best days were the 90's to 2003 the years we diligently and quietly built up our wealth through honest hard work and endeavour, plus we were universally liked around the world. Time to knuckle down again and work our diplomacy quietly behind the scenes.

I have two words for you:

Respect democracy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Why should I? The treaty which we rejected has not chnaged.....lol....not a comma, not a word, not a sentence. The people voted on the treaty, the people rejected it, yet the people are now being forced to vote on the very same treaty they have just rejected.....lol It is undemocratic not to accept the will of the people.

You are misrepresenting the position. Changes and guarantees have been made but it suits the No camp and their agenda, and you evidently, to deny these. Have a read http://www.consilium.europa.eu/uedocs/cms_data/docs/pressdata/en/ec/108622.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I would have voted yes in the first election. Why? Becausse we are part of Europe now. Cant stay little England forever.

Im voting NO on friday. Why? Because this is no way to run a democracy. Having re votes until you get the answer you want. The people have spoken.

Fair point and well said, we have extracted the best deal possible with those guarantees for a small country, with a NO vote we will end up diplomatically overplaying our hand. Vote Yes and knuckle down to getting this country up and running again. I just wish Lisbon was passed and over.

Lisbon has nothing to do with as you said "getting this country up and running again". On Oct 3rd whether we have a yes or a No the country still is in a lot of trouble. A yes vote does nothing for Ireland except weaken our democracy, imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

1) How are you being forced to vote? I haven't had a visit from anyone sternly telling me that it would be 'in my best interests' to go and vote.

2) If somebody had a concern about what implications the Lisbon treaty would have is it undemocratic to sort out those concerns?

3) Why is it undemocratic to have another vote since their concerns have been satisfied? Bear in mind that in order to satisfy their concerns the treaty didn't have to be changed.
    Or should the treaty have had a 'token change' even if it wasn't necessary?

4) Is it always undemocratic to have a second referendum? Or what arbitrary time period must pass before it gets the 'vanla sighs' stamp of approval?

namloc1980 wrote: »
    You are misrepresenting the position. Changes and guarantees have been made but it suits the No camp and their agenda, and you evidently, to deny these. Have a read http://www.consilium.europa.eu/uedocs/cms_data/docs/pressdata/en/ec/108622.pdf

Are you saying the Treaty of Lisbon has changed from what we rejected last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Respect democracy

Lisbon 1 was won by the No side because their main arguments were:

- No permanent commissioner – sorted this time
    - Abortion fears scared our older generation – sorted with guarantees
    - Loss of Taxation independence – again sorted with explicit guarantees

So yes the debate is different this time, the posters are different. This is democracy there are changes.

In case you have not noticed we live in an interconnected world with the traditional boundaries between countries eroded as each year passes. Its corporations and large power blocks rule the world now. We have to play the game like every other country unless you suggest we cut those fibre links, close our borders and yes tell those multinational corporations to leave; we want to retrench into our own disconnected world.

• Advertisement

1) How are you being forced to vote? I haven't had a visit from anyone sternly telling me that it would be 'in my best interests' to go and vote.

2) If somebody had a concern about what implications the Lisbon treaty would have is it undemocratic to sort out those concerns?

3) Why is it undemocratic to have another vote since their concerns have been satisfied? Bear in mind that in order to satisfy their concerns the treaty didn't have to be changed.
    Or should the treaty have had a 'token change' even if it wasn't necessary?

4) Is it always undemocratic to have a second referendum? Or what arbitrary time period must pass before it gets the 'vanla sighs' stamp of approval?

1) People who voted No have not had their wishes respected by their own sorry excuse for a government. So in essence they, we, are being forced to vote again as the government have in essence invalidated the first rejection of Lisbon and are forcing a rerun. If we don't vote we open the possibility to Lisbon passing the second time....even though the Irish people have already rejected Lisbon.

2) Em, you do know that the Lisbon Treaty has not changed don't you? Not a single comma in it.

3) When you say "their concerns" who do you speak of? The limited number of people who were contacted and asked to take part in post-referendum opinion polls after Lisbon 1 was defeated?

4) No, by all means hold reruns but a "reasonable" ammount of time should pass before the question is put back to the people. Explain to me why it is only when it comes to EU treaties that are rejected that we are in such a rush to have reruns? As for who decides what a 2reasonable" ammount of time is, that is open to debate, I personally would suggest 5 years.

Well, nearly time for zzzzzzzzz, lotsa flyers to hand out in Cork City centre tomorrow........for yesmen I've a special take one and get one free! This campaign ain't over yet......come Friday the people will decided once again.......and the mood is swinging to the No side :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Respect democracy

Your idea of respect for democracy is refusing to allow the people have their say on Friday :confused:.... I wouldn't want to live in any 'democracy' you run.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The referendum isn't about so-called guarantees, the referendum is about the Lisbon Treaty - a treaty which has not changed. While some concerns of some people who voted No may have been addressed many concerns of many other people who voted No have not been addressed.

Referenda aren't going to solve the concerns of the many.

It isn't the system to do that. Ironically, Representative democracy and PR would be better.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Are you saying the Treaty of Lisbon has changed from what we rejected last year?

Protocol has been secured which pretty much debunks the No campaigns myths from the 1st Treaty on Neutrality, abortion, tax as well as securing commissioners for every state. Whether you like it or not the proposal has changed. Or do you deny this??

The government addressed as much as they could the concerns of the ppl as expressed last time out and it is only right that we are asked to vote again given the guarantees that have been secured.....that is Democracy in action!!!

1) People who voted No have not had their wishes respected by their own sorry excuse for a government.

But many people who voted yes last time, will vote no next time and vide versa, what about their wishes? :confused:
    2) Em, you do know that the Lisbon Treaty has not changed don't you? Not a single comma in it.

We don't vote on the Treaty, we vote on the amendment to Bunreacht na hÉireann, that amendment made in light of the legally binding guarantees.
    4) No, by all means hold reruns but a "reasonable" ammount of time should pass before the question is put back to the people. Explain to me why it is only when it comes to EU treaties that are rejected that we are in such a rush to have reruns? As for who decides what a 2reasonable" ammount of time is, that is open to debate, I personally would suggest 5 years.

So if we vote in 5 years again, that would be respecting democracy? :confused: Whereas voting now isn't?
    This campaign ain't over yet......come Friday the people will decided once again.......and the mood is swinging to the No side :)

I thought you were against people deciding again :confused: Surely if you disagree with having to vote a second time, you should abstain?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

1) People who voted No have not had their wishes respected by their own sorry excuse for a government. So in essence they, we, are being forced to vote again as the government have in essence invalidated the first rejection of Lisbon and are forcing a rerun. If we don't vote we open the possibility to Lisbon passing the second time....even though the Irish people have already rejected Lisbon.

The Lisbon treaty wasn't ratified so what are you on about? I want to vote Yes on Friday as is my right, it's seem my rights don't count as much as yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Ah, so you're not actually being forced, you just feel you should to try prevent a yes vote. Thats not being forced.

Erm...yes you only say it in every second post so I'm sure I picked up on it somewhere. Why would the treaty need to be changed to sort out peoples concerns on taxation, abortion, conscription, neutrality etc.?

3) When you say "their concerns" who do you speak of? The limited number of people who were contacted and asked to take part in post-referendum opinion polls after Lisbon 1 was defeated?

When I say 'their' concerns I refer to over a quarter of no voters as discovered by the statistically accurate Millward Brown post Lisbon study. A second referendum is also a great oppertunity for the 42% of no voters who didn't know what they were voting on. The only problem is people like you who take a perfectly democratic act and twist into being undemocratic because it better suits your agenda.

We are in such a rush for reruns because it doesn't take long to satisfy peoples concerns. With divorce you had to wait for the entire opinion of society to shift.

In the case of Lisbon it doesn't take 9 years to sort out peopels concerns. So why do you think we should artifically inflate the gap between treaty referenda beyond what is necessary? If the concerns are sorted in a year why wait 5?

Why 5 years? why not 4 and a half? of 6, or 9! 9 has worked well in the past.

Or how about, and I may just blow your mind with this incredulous leap of logic, how about not sticking an arbitrary countdown clock on referenda, instead doing it when;

1) There has been a significant shift in public perception that warrents the reexmination of the subject. (eg. Divorce).
    2) There has been sufficient developments to change the minds of a sizable proportion of the electorate (Nice, Lisbon).

We shouldn't need to insert an extra layer of beurocracy because you are incapable of looking at something objectivly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ringostarr

I am voting no for 3 reasons
    1. voted no the last time
    2. I don't think its fair or democratic that a small island like ours decides on the direction Europe is taking.
    3. although I haven't read all of the treaty as it is boring as hell the below extract I feel is a good enough reason for me to vote no.

'Member States shall undertake progressively to improve their military capabilities. The Agency in the field of defence capabilities development, research, acquisition and armaments (hereinafter referred to as “the European Defence Agency”) shall identify operational requirements, shall promote measures to satisfy those requirements, shall contribute to identifying and, where appropriate, implementing any measure needed to
    C 306/34 EN Official Journal of the European Union 17.12.2007 strengthen the industrial and technological base of the defence sector, shall participate in
    defining a European capabilities and armaments policy, and shall assist the Council in evaluating the improvement of military capabilities.' (page C306/34)

The scaremongering tactics from both sides are equally annoying and untrue but the No side's posters are a disgrace particularily the Libertas one with the photoshoped child on it.

ringostarr wrote: »
    2. I don't think its fair or democratic that a small island like ours decides on the direction Europe is taking.

By that logic Lisbon would be passed long ago :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

What was your first reason for voting no the last time?

• Advertisement

3. although I haven't read all of the treaty as it is boring as hell the below extract I feel is a good enough reason for me to vote no.

'Member States shall undertake progressively to improve their military capabilities. The Agency in the field of defence capabilities development, research, acquisition and armaments (hereinafter referred to as “the European Defence Agency”) shall identify operational requirements, shall promote measures to satisfy those requirements, shall contribute to identifying and, where appropriate, implementing any measure needed to
    C 306/34 EN Official Journal of the European Union 17.12.2007 strengthen the industrial and technological base of the defence sector, shall participate in
    defining a European capabilities and armaments policy, and shall assist the Council in evaluating the improvement of military capabilities.' (page C306/34)

The scaremongering tactics from both sides are equally annoying and untrue but the No side's posters are a disgrace particularily the Libertas one with the photoshoped child on it.

"The Union's action on the international scene is guided by the principles of democracy, the rule of law, the universality and indivisibility of human rights and fundamental freedoms, respect for human dignity, the principles of equality and solidarity, and respect for the principles of the United Nations Charter and international law.

The Union's common security and defence policy is an integral part of the common foreign and security policy and provides the Union with an operational capacity to undertake missions outside the Union for peace-keeping, conflict prevention and strengthening international security in accordance with the principles of the United Nations Charter.

It does not prejudice the security and defence policy of each Member State, including Ireland, or the obligations of any Member State.

The Treaty of Lisbon does not affect or prejudice Ireland's traditional policy of military neutrality. It will be for Member States - including Ireland, acting in a spirit of solidarity and without prejudice to its traditional policy of military neutrality - to determine the nature of aid or assistance to be provided to a Member State which is the object of a terrorist attack or the victim of armed aggression on its territory.

Any decision to move to a common defence will require a unanimous decision of the European Council. It would be a matter for the Member States, including Ireland, to decide, in accordance with the provisions of the Treaty of Lisbon and with their respective constitutional requirements, whether or not to adopt a common defence.

Nothing in this Section affects or prejudices the position or policy of any other Member State on security and defence.

It is also a matter for each Member State to decide, in accordance with the provisions of the Treaty of Lisbon and any domestic legal requirements, whether to participate in permanent structured cooperation or the European Defence Agency.

The Treaty of Lisbon does not provide for the creation of a European army or for conscription to any military formation.

It does not affect the right of Ireland or any other Member State to determine the nature and volume of its defence and security expenditure and the nature of its defence capabilities. It will be a matter for Ireland or any other Member State, to decide, in accordance with any domestic legal requirements, whether or not to participate in any military operation."

That is a direct quote from the Protocol that Ireland secured and clarifies the position for each member state. Basically Ireland or any member state is not obliged to do anything with regard to militarism, military spending etc. This area remains unanimous. Note that 21 of the EU 27 are members of NATO so the EU is already heavily militarised in that sense and voting No won't change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

prinz wrote: »
    So if we vote in 5 years again, that would be respecting democracy? :confused: Whereas voting now isn't?

A good point. It's not like other referendums that get voted down are the final word. Will we never again be able to vote on abortion? Will the cry of undemocratic be raised if we hold a referendum on that again? It would be rather odd (and expensive) to do it year on year, but that's where the two things differ. There's a time issue here and Lisbon can't wait 5 years just to satisfy some arbitrary line in time where most people consider it appropriate to ask again.

Couple that to the known reasons why many people voted no (and I really cannot believe we're sneering at polling and statistics as a means to gather information in a thread about voting) and asking again is really quite fair and reasonable. If no really means no in some absolute sense (as Coir keep saying rather than forming an actual argument), then it will mean no again.

A good point. It's not like other referendums that get voted down are the final word. Will we never again be able to vote on abortion? Will the cry of undemocratic be raised if we hold a referendum on that again? It would be rather odd (and expensive) to do it year on year, but that's where the two things differ. There's a time issue here and Lisbon can't wait 5 years just to satisfy some arbitrary line in time where most people consider it appropriate to ask again.

Couple that to the known reasons why many people voted no (and I really cannot believe we're sneering at polling and statistics as a means to gather information in a thread about voting) and asking again is really quite fair and reasonable. If no really means no in some absolute sense (as Coir keep saying rather than forming an actual argument), then it will mean no again.

All you yes folks forget that the people already rejected the Lisbon Treaty....what is now before the people once again is the very same treaty we just rejected, with not even a comma chnaged it in. We are not voting on so-called guarantees, we are voting on the 28th Amendment to the Constitution (The Treaty of Lisbon) Bill 2009. We already rejected the 2008 bill, which was exactly the same. And come Friday if the people are wise we will reject it yet again.

Ah, so you're not actually being forced, you just feel you should to try prevent a yes vote. Thats not being forced.

Erm...yes you only say it in every second post so I'm sure I picked up on it somewhere. Why would the treaty need to be changed to sort out peoples concerns on taxation, abortion, conscription, neutrality etc.?

When I say 'their' concerns I refer to over a quarter of no voters as discovered by the statistically accurate Millward Brown post Lisbon study. A second referendum is also a great oppertunity for the 42% of no voters who didn't know what they were voting on. The only problem is people like you who take a perfectly democratic act and twist into being undemocratic because it better suits your agenda.

We are in such a rush for reruns because it doesn't take long to satisfy peoples concerns. With divorce you had to wait for the entire opinion of society to shift.

In the case of Lisbon it doesn't take 9 years to sort out peopels concerns. So why do you think we should artifically inflate the gap between treaty referenda beyond what is necessary? If the concerns are sorted in a year why wait 5?

Why 5 years? why not 4 and a half? of 6, or 9! 9 has worked well in the past.

Or how about, and I may just blow your mind with this incredulous leap of logic, how about not sticking an arbitrary countdown clock on referenda, instead doing it when;

1) There has been a significant shift in public perception that warrents the reexmination of the subject. (eg. Divorce).
    2) There has been sufficient developments to change the minds of a sizable proportion of the electorate (Nice, Lisbon).

We shouldn't need to insert an extra layer of beurocracy because you are incapable of looking at something objectivly.

By the government usurping the democratic will of the people and holding a rerun those who care about democracy are forced to vote once again unless they want to abstain thereby helping the undemocratic yes side.

Re: the treaty, very many don't wish Ireland to lose its veto in numerous areas. That is one of the prime reasons why I am voting No.

And how many yes voters were polled by Milward Brown and asked what were the reasons they voted yes? As far as I know, none....hmmm, fancy that, the government worry so much about the reasons why people voted that they only asked on side, the winning side come to think of it. It is undemocratic for a government to ignore the wishes of the majority. The majority voted on Lisbon and the majority rejected it......it is the job of any government to represent the will of the people, the government have failed to do that. And by the way it is referendums which decide propositions and not post-referendum opinion polls.

As for when to have reruns, I mentioned 5 years....you mention 9, yeah, 9 is fine with me too :) In my opinion any "reasonable" timeframe would suffice but the populace should not be lambasted with repeat referendums on the very same issue until the government of the day gets the result it seeks. The people decided, the people said No. We'll see what's what come Friday.........

Oh well, have to rush, have canvassing to do all day today, from morn till evening.....Roll on Friday :)

By the government usurping the democratic will of the people and holding a rerun those who care about democracy are forced to vote once again unless they want to abstain thereby helping the undemocratic yes side.

Re: the treaty, very many don't wish Ireland to lose its veto in numerous areas. That is one of the prime reasons why I am voting No.

And how many yes voters were polled by Milward Brown and asked what were the reasons they voted yes? As far as I know, none....hmmm, fancy that, the government worry so much about the reasons why people voted that they only asked on side, the winning side come to think of it. It is undemocratic for a government to ignore the wishes of the majority. The majority voted on Lisbon and the majority rejected it......it is the job of any government to represent the will of the people, the government have failed to do that. And by the way it is referendums which decide propositions and not post-referendum opinion polls.

As for when to have reruns, I mentioned 5 years....you mention 9, yeah, 9 is fine with me too :) In my opinion any "reasonable" timeframe would suffice but the populace should not be lambasted with repeat referendums on the very same issue until the government of the day gets the result it seeks. The people decided, the people said No. We'll see what's what come Friday.........

Oh well, have to rush, have canvassing to do all day today, from morn till evening.....Roll on Friday :)

So by voting yes you are actually being undemocratic....oh the irony of it, which I'm sure is lost on you. Also it is an insult to anybody who does vote yes......people who vote yes are just as entitled to vote as those who vote no but obviously not in your world. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I don't particularly want QMV at all.
    Well we've already got it so tough.
    There are other issues in the treaty which concern me, ranging from militarisation

"The Treaty of Lisbon does not provide for the creation of a European army or for conscription to any military formation.

It does not affect the right of Ireland or any other Member State to determine the nature and volume of its defence and security expenditure and the nature of its defence capabilities. It will be a matter for Ireland or any other Member State, to decide, in accordance with any domestic legal requirements, whether or not to participate in any military operation."
    to death penalty
    Nothing is changing in this respect. Latvia has a provision that allows them to keep the death penalty in times of war but it applies only to them
    to unelected President and so on and so on.
    It's the president of the council, a role which already exists and is rotated every 6 months. Instead of that sytem the council will elect a president for 2 years. This role is ceremonial and has no actual power.
    The biggie for me is the usurping of Irish democracy. For good or bad the people voted, it is not right that the democratic will of the people should be invalidated. No means No, it doesn't mean maybe.
    The Irish people said no to abortion, neutrality, conscription, taxation, the loss of a commissioner and accepting something they didn't understand.

Each of those issues has been addressed so they've been asked if they changed their mind. What's the problem?

If you intend to point out that the treaty has not changed, I would appreciate it if you would show me which parts of the treaty should have been changed to address each of the above issues. If you can't I hardly see how it's relevant that the treaty hasn't changed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭StealthRolex

A No says you really want to p*ss Michael O'Leary off

All you yes folks forget that the people already rejected the Lisbon Treaty....

I though we were voting on the amendment :confused:
    We are not voting on so-called guarantees, we are voting on the 28th Amendment to the Constitution (The Treaty of Lisbon) Bill 2009.

Which is it? You can't seem to make your mind up... is it the Treaty or the amendment? My polling card says it's the amendment... i.e. the one done in the light of the legally binding guarantees :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭StealthRolex

prinz wrote: »

Which is it? You can't seem to make your mind up... is it the Treaty or the amendment? My polling card says it's the amendment... i.e. the one done in the light of the legally binding guarantees :rolleyes:

The legal guarantees are not part of this amendment and will not be until they become a Protocol attached to any future change to a Treaty.

This is the same Amendment we voted on last year and that was an Amendment to allow our Governement to ratify the Treaty and include in the Consititution those parts that need to be included in the Consititution.

Effectively you will be voting on exactly the same thing you voted on last year - acceptance or rejection of The Treaty and nothing else.

• Advertisement

The legal guarantees are not part of this amendment and will not be until they become a Protocol attached to any future change to a Treaty..

They come into force when the Lisbon Treaty is ratified :rolleyes: They will be submitted to the UN as a watchdog to ensure they are complied with.
    The legally binding guarantees take the form of a decision of the Heads of State or Government of the 27 member states of the EU, meeting within the European Council, on the concerns of the Irish people on the Treaty of Lisbon. This Decision constitutes an international agreement, which will take effect on the date of entry into force of the Lisbon Treaty.

http://www.lisbontreaty.ie/guarantees/

The addition of these as a protocol will include them in future Treaties, but they are in force as soon as Lisbon is ratified by everyone.

Advertisement