Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champion Front Page.... What are we like?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

No need for such a big argument on the punctuation, we try to be light hearted here. I don't find the punctuation of the poster Hi Sir such a big problem, I was able to understand it without a problem.
    If it was all txt spk it would be a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

hi_sir wrote: »
    Please explain the rip off i was at the event ok accomadation was expensive but as has been debated on rallying forums this is a problem nation wide when a big event takes place, the fan got to see one of the bigest motorsport type events about forFREE[/B] if you go to rally gb rally germany and other wrc events you will have pay for stage passes.

So mate dont go blowing the fans got riped off card as a person that has competed in rallying in the past and spent my hard earned money on a car to go out and compete and yes give the fan a free days sport those sort of comments make my blood boil,

I dont Know anything about mark mcsharry but fair play to him for fighting for his local area can you imagine that if this was monte carlo treir in germany or jyvaskala finland do you think people would not be highlighting this in the local press after all id say this was the biggest ever event to take place in sligo.
    all i can say is fair play to the people of sligo that made this a top class event and i have been to many WRC events in my time.

You should be positive and be greatful to all the people that put there free time into this event and made it such a sucess instead of whinging about a front page of a paper

Ok Hi Sir. I will try to explain my position in a little more detail.

Firstly, I have nothing but respect for the hundreds of volunteers who devoted vast amounts of time and I am sure money in ****ty weather to ensure the competition ran, as indeed it must, to the required standards of a WRC leg. Fair play to them and it is a positive attribute that the Rally community would pull together and demonstrate that they can so professionally, stage an event like this. However as a spectaluar, it was ****e, a ****e rip off. I love motorsport and have traveled to many GP's, and what gives it the 'wow' is not the cars but the whole athmosphere and feel during the events.

The Volvo ocean race was not a huge hit because of sailing but as a result of the sense of carnival which so lacked in both Sligo WRC years. Top bands, FREE every night, for 10 nights in a row, with no big budget, all hotels, bars and B+B etc hold normal prices etc.

I may stand corrected but I remember meeting a mate, with his two sons, comming out of the Motorpark in the IT and I think it cost him over €50 to bring them in to look around, it was ****e weather and for all the excitement there he would have being better taking them to the flicks.

Next, I do know and like Marc McSharry, I think he is and will be a good Sligo representitive however he has his head in the sand if he thinks that the overall experience of WRC being held twice in Sligo warrants us retaining the event.

I think you should put a little more effort in to your punctuation etc, only because its a good habit,

And please please dont call me 'mate', that I am not.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

O'Connell St. debate, WRC & punctuation getting an equal amount of airtime.:rolleyes:

I've listed to many people talk about the O'Connell St. issue and the recurring point in favour of opening it is to allow people in the East Ward get to the hospital quickly. Seriously? How many instances have there been of people from the east ward dying on their way to Hospital? It will take people in South County Sligo longer to get to hospital but there is no movement to accomodate this. It seems like a ridiculous argument tbh..

The traffic in Sligo is really not that bad compared to other irish towns and Cities (Dublin, Galway). I hear people complain about delays on the inner relief road. It only takes me 15 minutes to get from the New Bridge to Summerhill during rush hour. get real!

Why is opening O'Connell St. seen as the only option. Opening O'Connell St. will not necessarily make the journey any quicker:
    • The street opposite the Glass house has just been narrowed and bollards erected, this will result in a bottleneck with extra traffic from O'Connell St.
    • Extra traffic will use the route once it is opened, causing further delays

So let's build a bridge in the East Ward - oh wait people in the East Ward don't want that..

How about we make Bridge Street a two way street?

I'm not a traffic planner but the arguments in favour of opening or closing should surely examine all options and weigh up the pros and cons of each ..

Anyone got any positive ideas on what these might be?

Is my punctuation ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

i think you will find that most people in the east ward do want a bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

i think you will find that most people in the east ward do want a bridge.

Is it just the location thats the problem then or a very vocal minority led by one very vocal person in particular or is the bridge location ok but the route to not ok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

up until 3 years ago o'connell street was open to vehicular traffic and was the route used by residents of the eastward for many reasons(work,health,travelling north,etc)....that route was removed because a bridge was proposed to be built at some location some time in the future.
    due to a number of factors (lack of consultation,location,recession) the bridge is not going to be constructed at any time in the near future.
    now common sense would dictate that the street should never have been closed until the alternate route was provided, it did'nt prevail at that time
    but thankfully it has now.
    i will be happy to see it reopened at this time....and if in the future the project goes ahead properly and not the usual half-assed sligo way then, i will support that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Is it just the location thats the problem then or a very vocal minority led by one very vocal person in particular or is the bridge location ok but the route to not ok?

The people are not vocal people at all, they are very quiet people. I personally am opposed to any eastern bridge (I am also opposed to cars and not a local) but I think the local residents dislike the approach, the design, the location in that order these feelings would be seasoned with the naked contempt that Sligo CoCo officials have added to the pot.

The planners wanted to (i) accommodate local developers,(ii) have a vain glorious design,(iii) and address traffic issues, in that order.

Eugene McGloin who leads the residents campaign is a very decent man very well liked locally and a smart focker he has delivered some very shrewd blows to the CoCo plans.

Gonna start a new thread for this as well if thats ok mods but there is a protest meeting outside the town hall this monday at 7.15pm. Just show up, bring a placard if you want but mostly rally others as well please, this is a time to be counted and the oppertunity to do something about it. Keep the street closed and lets not go down this retrograde route.

just saw its 7.45 for 8 sorry http://www.sligotoday.ie/details.php?id=6394

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Ok Hi Sir. I will try to explain my position in a little more detail.

Firstly, I have nothing but respect for the hundreds of volunteers who devoted vast amounts of time and I am sure money in ****ty weather to ensure the competition ran, as indeed it must, to the required standards of a WRC leg. Fair play to them and it is a positive attribute that the Rally community would pull together and demonstrate that they can so professionally, stage an event like this. However as a spectaluar, it was ****e, a ****e rip off. I love motorsport and have traveled to many GP's, and what gives it the 'wow' is not the cars but the whole athmosphere and feel during the events.

The Volvo ocean race was not a huge hit because of sailing but as a result of the sense of carnival which so lacked in both Sligo WRC years. Top bands, FREE every night, for 10 nights in a row, with no big budget, all hotels, bars and B+B etc hold normal prices etc.

I may stand corrected but I remember meeting a mate, with his two sons, comming out of the Motorpark in the IT and I think it cost him over €50 to bring them in to look around, it was ****e weather and for all the excitement there he would have being better taking them to the flicks.

Next, I do know and like Marc McSharry, I think he is and will be a good Sligo representitive however he has his head in the sand if he thinks that the overall experience of WRC being held twice in Sligo warrants us retaining the event.

I think you should put a little more effort in to your punctuation etc, only because its a good habit,

And please please dont call me 'mate', that I am not.:)

Marc McSharry, I think he is and will be a good Sligo representitive

And where was he in the campaign to save cancer services at SGH?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Nostradamus

I don't buy the Champion anymore as their entire function is to provide a free platform for politicans. Every single story now have to begin with some TD, Councillor or MEP looking for votes.

The paper is frankly an embrassment to Sligo.

Advertisement