Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me!

Options
  • 27-09-2009 11:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey, i was just wondering if any1 could shed some let on the fact that when you get your first provisional licence for a car, you also get the licence that allows you to drive up to 11kw/125cc bike, but then when you pass your full car licence you arent given anything for a bike at all?! see i passed my full car licence last october and never noticed than i wasnt given at least the same bike licence as was on my provisional until yesterday when i took my licence to an insurance company to try and get my Nsr 80 that i bought 2 days before, now i had already gotten quotes online etc, thinking i had the same bike licence as when i had my prov car licence, so now i am stuck and confused..

Will it cost more money to get the a licence to cover the Nsr?

Will i have to sit another test?

Is it going to take forever to get the licence?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hey, i was just wondering if any1 could shed some let on the fact that when you get your first provisional licence for a car, you also get the licence that allows you to drive up to 11kw/125cc bike, but then when you pass your full car licence you arent given anything for a bike at all?! see i passed my full car licence last october and never noticed than i wasnt given at least the same bike licence as was on my provisional until yesterday when i took my licence to an insurance company to try and get my Nsr 80 that i bought 2 days before, now i had already gotten quotes online etc, thinking i had the same bike licence as when i had my prov car licence, so now i am stuck and confused..

Will it cost more money to get the a licence to cover the Nsr?

Will i have to sit another test?

Is it going to take forever to get the licence?

There is no licence now that allows you to drive any type of bike except M, A1, A. Untill ~3 years ago if you had a full B licence that was also a M (and W) licence but that is now gone. Unless your permit had A1, B on it you where never licenced to ride motorbikes

Provided your permit for the car and bike wheren't issued more then 2 years ago you can get the permit re-issued to you for free, just fill in the permit form and 2 passport pics, just drop into a tax office and explain that they never re-issued your A1 permit. You can also use any remaining time from the car on anythig else you can apply for if you want.

There is no need to do the theory test if you still have time left on your permit, but if you've let it expire you may need to sit the Bike theory test if you haven't already.

You will need to take the A1 test, but if you are over 18 you are better off getting an A licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Advertisement