Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orange light in the sky

Options
  • 27-09-2009 11:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I seen a bright orange light in the sky last night at about 2300 and was moving slowly. looked like something burning.

Anyone know what it might have been?

This happend over tallaght (Dublin)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭calchas

What you describe was almost certainly a Chineese lantern.

But as every one would prefer another explanation:

It was a chineese latern, there are so many these days because the Irish Defence Force are using them to cover up thier secret spy plane program.
    It's an easy google search if you are interested.

All the best
    Calchas

• Registered Users Posts: 15 RodHaan

I had to look up (Google) this whole Chinese Lantern thing. I checked to see whether anyone had seen an orange light, 'dripping' embers at about 10 second intervals passing in an easterly direction over Killiney at sometime after 9pm last night (Sunday).

****e! I thought I'd seen a meteor for the second time in my life (I was lucky enough to have witnessed the Murchison Meteorite passing over Melbourne in 1969). But a quick search, yielding very similar sightings, tells me that meteors don't pass over roughly the same area so frequently.

Ah well...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

RodHaan wrote: »
    I had to look up (Google) this whole Chinese Lantern thing. I checked to see whether anyone had seen an orange light, 'dripping' embers at about 10 second intervals passing in an easterly direction over Killiney at sometime after 9pm last night (Sunday).

****e! I thought I'd seen a meteor for the second time in my life (I was lucky enough to have witnessed the Murchison Meteorite passing over Melbourne in 1969). But a quick search, yielding very similar sightings, tells me that meteors don't pass over roughly the same area so frequently.

Ah well...

Ye i seen tat too man ... Got me camera and recored it ... not much clarity in it but it definitely looked like a chineese lantern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

I've seen this strange orange light myself, twice. Couldn't tell if it was moving or not.

EDIT: As right... sky lanterns.. doh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Woofie

Hi, I saw a bright orange light in the sky at 21:20 last night over Cardiff.
    As soon as I saw it I said to my daughter, who was with me in the car, 'what the hell is that'!? I stopped the car for a closer look. It was very high up, not moving much. I listened out for the sound of an aircraft or the rota blades of a helicopter but I heard nothing. It looked like it was throbing..slowly going small then huge. The orange light was very bright. Im aware of chinese lanterns being mistaken for something else but Im 100% positive it wasn't. I watched it glowing for about a minute then it disappeared in a blink of an eye. I googled it and found a wide range of other sightings world wide! Did anyone else see it?

• Advertisement

sorry didn't see anything.
    Must have been the start of an invasion by the irish defence force. If I were you I'd make an anti thought control helmet of foil right now.

That is one of the better descriptions of a chineese lantern I've read.

all the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭blackbetty69

no i didnt see that one, the rain made it hard to see tbh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

splash of fanta on your glasses

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

calchas wrote: »
    sorry didn't see anything.
    Must have been the start of an invasion by the irish defence force. If I were you I'd make an anti thought control helmet of foil right now.

That is one of the better descriptions of a chineese lantern I've read.

all the best

Lol calchas! You're getting as jaded as me with all the orange lights in the sky threads.

Personally I believe every orange light in the sky sighting is without a shadow of a doubt, a Chinese lantern sighting...

However, I believe they are being released by human agents of the illuminati or human agents of alien powers to convince us that all orange lights in the sky are Chinese lanterns, thus we won't realise the flotilla of orange lights we'll see one night is in fact the invading alien warfleet until it's too late.

:D

or it's the training of a new defence force squad of attack hamsters, each of which has it's own thermal atmospheric wind powered assult aircraft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Chinese lanterns - very popular for weddings and very popular for idiots who release them over urban areas.
    They are on fire and they land, morons!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 StephByrne

Hi

Last night @ around 10pm i was gettin out of my boyfriendds car and I seen a large orange light in the sky . At first I thought it was a plane on fire (worst case scenario) as it was moving very quick. My boyfriend got out to have a look and we had no idea what it was. Went in and got my ma n da to come out and it was going really quick and increasing in height by the second - When it went into the clouds another would come out and go in the same direction. In total we seen four 1 after the other . 4 came outve the same direction 3 went in the one direction (very high min the sky) and 1 went real high and then got lower before it went out of sight.

At first we could not hear any engine noise but then we listened carefully there was a low humming noise. Surely if these where chinese lanterns they would burn out after they reached a certain height !

Am still flabbergasted as to what it was ?

Ne1 any ideas other than chinese lanterns ?

Advertisement