Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What highlights show do you watch??

• 27-09-2009 11:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

Not much to add to this, what to see peoples view on it.

Thanks

What show do you watch? 91 votes

Football First (Sky)
    0% 0 votes
    Match of the Day (BBC)
    2% 2 votes
    Premier Soccer Saturday (RTE)
    83% 76 votes
    Other (Please say below)
    14% 13 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

MoTD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

MoTD.

Sometimes I'll watch Premier Soccer Saturday for the more comical analysis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

MoTD FTW!

Better highlights and analysis than that RTE show

A bit OT i know(Highlights related though) but just there over my breakfast, i was flicking through the channels and noticed that Champions League Magazine was on TV3. However, the eejits had never voiceover-ed it so basically, all you could see was pictures and then Edin Dzeko and Grafite talking away in German!(Twas a feature on Wolfsburg!):D Top class coverage! Hope they bother commentating on Tuesday night though!:eek::)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Gotta go with MOTD. No ads, more action from the games involving the teams placed lower in the league, and inoffensive analysis (albeit quite poor at times).

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

Maybe Im a sad act but I watch both MOTD and The Premiership. Usually record and fast forward through analysis. George Hamilton is particularly grating at the mo as is Jimmy Magee.

They need to take Jimmy off the air for his own good. Was watching Sunderland vs Burnley last week and he was talking up Reid cause of the whole Irish squad been announced. Four times he gave Reid credit for crosses and passes that he didnt make and then airbrushed over the fact that Reid was at fault for the equaliser. Just terrible terrible stuff.

Ive started watching the highlights with the sound muted since. Better for my blood pressure!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Sportscene (BBC)

MoTD on Sunday mornings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I'll watch whatever is convenient at the time. The analysis across all three is fairly pedestrian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Usually watch MoTD and Goals on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Premier SS usually and that's only cos I don't have BBC.
    My heart sinks when I see the B team of Peter Collins, Ronnie, and Ray Houghton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

MNS

• Advertisement

cashback wrote: »
    My heart sinks when I see the B team of Peter Collins, Ronnie, and Ray Houghton.

Collins actually gave up trying to talk last night at one stage when trying to tell us about Monday Night Soccer. Pitiful, shameful stuff considerin he is getting paif for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Goals on Sunday and sometimes MoTD if I'm not doing anything better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

The Premiership is handy if your heading out and just want to see the goals and won't get to see MOTD, but MOTD definitely much better.
    Definitely agree what a previous poster said, Jimmy McGee is a disaster and shouldn't be allowed commentate on a football game ever again, the mistakes he makes and not knowing players names is comical and cringeworthy-"and now its........the Blackburn player on the ball". Also, RTE could show a 1min cameo of say, Bolton v Wigan and not say a word of analysis about it (fair enough I know the target audience for this wouldn't be big but even a few words on it would do).
    MOTD2 is the best tho, good mix of highlights and comedy, esp love the 2good 2bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,595 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

MOTD, MOTD2 and Goals on Sunday (Sky)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

MOTD 2. I know alot of people hate him but I think Adrian Chiles is a legend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Gillington wrote: »
    MOTD 2. I know alot of people hate him but I think Adrian Chiles is a legend!

I like him too, gets dogs abuse but always struck as a likeable fella with a good sense of humour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

Football First will put you to sleep, 50 mins of every game. I watch the start to see that ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

MOTD2 - it's the great safety net really.

You've been coming back from the pub whilst RTE's Premiership is on, and heading back out whilst MOTD is on. Then you've slept through Goals on Sunday and you keep missing the goals when you flick onto SSN.

But you know that Adrian Chiles will save you. (Unless you forget.)

I forgot about MOTD2. Chiles saves it though. The ex gooners mob are always so boring on it. Fence sitters. Im going to suggest this now. They should snap Craig Bellamy up when he retires. It wouldnt be boring anway. I like Merson too but I know that not highlights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Why no multiple voting?

I watch MOTD/MOTD2 and PSS (just to hear Wheelans comments!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Just MOTD, like someone said earlier best analysis (well, better then the rest), no ads and I find it easier to listen to their commentators then any of the rest. Good show all round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

MNS and Serie A highlights on Youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Most of the time i watch MOTD but i like PSS if Giles and/or Dunphy are on it. Don't know if Dunphy ever does PSS these days though.

MOTD has no ads and good coverage of all the games. Hanson does some good analysis when it comes to defending. Keone and Dixon are worth listening to when they're talking about their areas of expertise as well. But beyond that the analysis is usually fence sitting, boring and often stupidly wrong. Another good thing about MOTD is the music :)

When i can't take anymore of MOTD's blandness PSS makes a nice change. There's always a chance that you'll hear a pundit really laying into a manager on there, which is entertaining.

I'm a big fan of MOTD2 aswell. Chiles is an entertaining bloke, don't know why he gets so much stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

MOTD & Revista De La Liga.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I used to watch the RTE version when Dunphy and Giles where on it but it's always MoTD nowadays.

I still think there's room out there for another highlights show- I've always liked James Richardsons shows and if the lads from the guardian podcasts where given a slot on ESPN or somewhere I'd definitely watch it instead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Aidric wrote: »
    I'll watch whatever is convenient at the time. The analysis across all three is fairly pedestrian.

Same as. Would prefer if the Premiership started at 7 as it used do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

MOTD and Goals on Sunday for me.

Premier Soccer Saturday is brutal tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Whichever is more convenient at the time for me.Was MOTD last night and i watch MOTD2 as Chiles is entertaining and 2Good2Bad is class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

KevIRL wrote: »
    Goals on Sunday (Sky)

I find that programme a bit annoying to be honest. I'd prefer it if they would cut down on the "filler" stuff and keep to the games. I still watch it occasionally but find that I will watch MOTD from start to finish but tune in and out of GOS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Myself and hubby usually watch MOTD as the show on RTE is on too early. Kids are fed up of watching so much football on Saturday between the telly and the internet so we like to give them at least a 3 hour break till MOTD......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

cashback wrote: »

you left out kenny 'eyebrows' cunningham.:eek:

however id take giles dunphy souness and brady/houghton anyday over hansen and shearer whom i cannot stand. he is the definition of 'droll'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭ollaetta

I tend to watch them all if I'm in but the Premiership can be hard going though. Too many ad breaks, a tendancy to over analyse (not always) and a crazy habit of leaving out bits of action that you later see on MoTD or on Sunday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭ToTheSea:

Is there any way to watch MOTD online? or even any highlights show?

I've just recently moved to america and I need my weekly football fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Have never watched The Premiership on RTE, MOTD is my first call on a Saturday, then I switch over to Football First( I actually watch it over and over again during the night particularly if Arsenal have won :p ).

Sunday night then I watch MOTD 2 which I love, I like Adrian Chilles and think Dixon and Keown are excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

ToTheSea: wrote: »
    Is there any way to watch MOTD online? or even any highlights show?

I've just recently moved to america and I need my weekly football fix.
    You can get torrents of MOTD but wont be able to watch it on bbci in america!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I watch MOTD but I don't bother with the league goals show after it as I'm in need of a break by that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I watch MOTD but I don't bother with the league goals show after it as I'm in need of a break by that stage.

Actually started watching that, the girl (Jackie Oakley) that reads out the texts on that show is the same girl that uses to commentate on MOTD that sounded like a boy :D .

It is not a bad show actually, I switch over to Football First after.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,339 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The Football League Show. There's more than just the Premier League, you know. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Agree re Football League programme. Very well put together show and some great football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Other (MNS)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭fkt

Both MOTD's and Goals On Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Imo the best highlights show is on Canal+ - it shows highlights from all around Europe with comprehensive interviews with almost all the French players playing in foreign leagues after the matches, you would often see Evra sitting in an empty Old Trafford stand for 10/15 mins after a match - it is something I think RTE could learn from - I watched the Premiership in its entirity for the first time in years this week and it was pathetic tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

comprehensive interviews with almost all the French players playing in foreign leagues after the matches, you would often see Evra sitting in an empty Old Trafford stand for 10/15 mins after a match - it is something I think RTE could learn from -

To be honest I'd be less likely to tune in if they spent xxx minutes of the program interviewing Irish players.

Player interviews are basically a waste a time - soft questions and answers which you could script in advance.... keeping our feet on the ground, one game at a time, not getting carried away, if you'd offered us this back in August we'd have taken it, hard games and challenges ahead, the fans have been brilliant, great working with the manager, looking forward to meeting up with the Ireland squad, we won't fear Italy, fantastic atmosphere at home games etc etc.

Any player who veers off the club script would quickly be gagged.

I don't know if the French players do it differently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I watch MoTD. I prefer the pundits on the Premier Soccer Saturday but PSS only ever shows about 2 minutes of the Blackburn games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Match of the day
    ARD Sportschau
    Eurogoals

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

MNS
    Revista de la Liga + Podcasts previously
    And of them all, MOTD2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

MoTD MoTD2, Football League Show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭ccosgrave

Premier Soccer Saturday usually or Goals on Sunday if I miss it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

MotD, will record Football First too (only the United game, if they are playing on the Sat) and watch it on the sunday morning

• Advertisement
Advertisement