Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying 3 year old a bike

Options
  • 27-09-2009 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭

hi all, our almost 3 yar old has a little trike bike which he uses his feet to run along with, he ignores the pedals. he also has a tractor with pedals that he has no interest in as of yet. and he has a scooter that he has begun gettin lots of fun out of latley. it's his birthday coming up and since he is our first child we don't know much of their biking needs at this age. i've hear alot of this type of bike lately but don't know if it would be much fun for him

http://www.onestepahead.com/product/osa/534607.html

has anyone seen or had any of these bikes/ or did you leave him on his trike until he gets bigger and then get him a bike with stabilizers?

also when we'r sort of on the subject, what age do you think is the norm to introduce roller skates? they say age 3plus on them but would this be the age you'd first giv them to your little ones? thanks a million, any suggestions welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,360 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

we got ours a pedal-less bike when around 2 and a half , so they had about 6 months to learn balance and then straight on to a normal bike no stabilizers. Was riding no problems over a weekend.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Kaybe

Hi,

our little lad was 3 recently, and we debated whether to get him a bike or not... he had a tractor that he had never properly figured out how to pedal, so we wondered if he'd be able to manage pedalling a bike.
    But, then I read somewhere that it's a lot easier for little ones to pedal a bike because the pedals are directly below them, rather than a tractor or trike where the pedals are in front of them.

So, we bought him the bike and lo and behold within 5 mins of getting home he was cycling up and down the garden - no problems with pedalling at all, and he LOVEs his bike now.
    Still no interest in pedalling the tractor....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Hi loismustdie,

We do a number of these balance bikes/ training bikes.

1215429794.jpg&w=300&h=256
    My First Bike (pink): €64.99

01252.jpg&w=300&h=295
    My First Bike (blue): €64.99

1215429902.jpg&w=300&h=270
    My First Bike (red): €64.99

4501_02-print.jpg&w=300&h=199
    Eichhorn Balance and Training Bike: €72.99

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I think Like-a-bike was the original of this type of bike.
    I have one and my 2.8yr old loves it but the 4.10 has no interest at all, it may be a case of just trying them out on it and seeing if they are interested in them.
    maybe they would prefer a pedal bike instead?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The wooden bikes di11on posted are hugely popular among the 2-3 year olds my son hangs around with. They're way more expensivee over here (about €200) or I would probably have got one. The pedal-tractor has never really taken my son's fancy; he tends to get off it after about a minute of messing with the too-far-forward pedals or scooting along with his feet.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

my little cousin is 3.5 years and he learnt to cycle a proper bike last week without the stablisers

so would say buy him a proper big boys bike:)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Um, I'd advise against it, purely as there are no breaks. You want to teak the kid to ride a bike, thats cool, but bike + no breaks + any sort of slope = ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

the_syco wrote: »
    Um, I'd advise against it, purely as there are no breaks. You want to teak the kid to ride a bike, thats cool, but bike + no breaks + any sort of slope = ouch.

They use their feet as brakes, they learn pretty quick actually.
    As long as they have a helmet it's cool.

Advertisement