Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing trawlers off Rush

Options
  • 27-09-2009 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

Last week, what looks like fishing trawlers have arrived in the sea in Rush.
    I have never seen this kind of activity before in this area. Does anyone know if they are fishing or are the doing something else?
    Makes for a nice photo if your into that!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭QOTSA90

Yeah they were big huh? I think they're crabbing, I was standing on the Harbour beach staring right out at them, you could see the big pots being dropped.

Anyone who watches 'Deadliest catch' on the Discovery Channel will know what I'm talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭sashasdad

They've be there for a while now, heard they're trawling for razor clams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Mussels could be a likely target also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

If its clams, mussels or crabs. How come they never fished there before. They are fishing a long time now. They must have found a lot of stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

I would be suprised if it was clams or mussels. They are filter feeders and i didnt think the water was that clean for human consumption.

And before im attacked for saying the water is polluted, theres a massive difference between eating fish and eating mussels from the same area.

• Advertisement

The water is polluted, but nowhere near as much as it used to be. Most sewage from Dublin is now treated, but not Howth which gets diverted to Ringsend treatment plant sometime next year. There is fishing for mussels off Portmarnock beach. They lay long rusty chains down early in the year and harvest around now.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Sparky84

They are fishing for Razors. They work there from time to time. When the area is fished out they leave and return when the Razors return to a marketable size.

That area is definitely polluted, there's a sewage outlet around the back of the harbour close by to where they're fishing.

sashasdad wrote: »
    That area is definitely polluted, there's a sewage outlet around the back of the harbour close by to where they're fishing.

What comes out of that pipe is as raw as when it was first produced.. and theres actually 2 pipes.

have seen it washed up on the harbour beach a few times this summer, the council actually cleaned it a week after i made about 5 phone calls!

• Advertisement

Iv come face to face with it while jumping off the harbour.. not pleasent!!

Whats the point in cleaning it up? Its going to come back the next time the tide turns :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

These boats from Wexford and Waterford have been there about 3 weeks now. They will soom move on when they exhaust the beds of mussells.

Other boats were futher up the coast off the Drummagh last year.. Hope they dont drag away any of the lines of lobster pots that local fishermen depend on on which I believe can happen. Took this from North Beach In Rush
    [EMAIL="%3Ca%20href="]3963444685_fb8a07901d.jpg[/EMAIL]">

That's the mussel boat that came into Howth yesterday evening. They lay mats down and pull them up during the permitted months. However, as most have said, the water is polluted, so the mats get transferred to Carlingford or Wexford and relaid for 4-6 months to get cleaned. Then they're good enough for the french market.

The really weird thing is that the fisheries research crowd found out that on May 10th every year, like clockwork, the mussels detach and swim around to spawn for about 22 hours. It cost €600k and 5 an a half years of fisheries research to find that out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sammyh79

yea i seen them 3 were out there last sat . kids thought it was graet , a real deadliest catch scene , wonder what they were fishing for , i do love living beside the sea :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

LeoB wrote: »
    These boats from Wexford and Waterford have been there about 3 weeks now. They will soom move on when they exhaust the beds of mussells.

Other boats were futher up the coast off the Drummagh last year.. Hope they dont drag away any of the lines of lobster pots that local fishermen depend on on which I believe can happen. Took this from North Beach In Rush
    [EMAIL="%3Ca%20href="]3963444685_fb8a07901d.jpg[/EMAIL]">

Nice picture LeoB...

Nice picture LeoB...

Thank you. I usually have my camera with me when or if I get out in the evening with kids for a walk. Will try and get them doing their work before the end of the week.

What I actually heard about these vessels is they are actually lifting the beds and relaying the off Arklow. Dont know if this is true or not but I would imagine the boats from Balbriggan/Skerries who were after them last year would not be happy with this..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

They used to harvest the seed mussels off Arklow, several years ago and transfer them by road to Wexford. I'd imagine this is the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Mark O

3963444685_fb8a07901d.jpg">

Great shot!

This is my first post, but I found this thread interesting. My ancestors came from "Rush Bay" in county Dublin (emigrated to Boston in the 1860's where they opened fishing businesses). I've always wondered if they may have come from a fishing background in Rush. nyone have any idea if Rush was ever known as a fishing community?

Mark O wrote: »
    Great shot!

This is my first post, but I found this thread interesting. My ancestors came from "Rush Bay" in county Dublin (emigrated to Boston in the 1860's where they opened fishing businesses). I've always wondered if they may have come from a fishing background in Rush. nyone have any idea if Rush was ever known as a fishing community?

Yes Rush had quite a strong fishing history in times past. Now there are only a few lobster boats working from Rush harbour. Neighbouring ports Loughshinny, Skerries and Balbriggan have more fishing than Rush. Most of the bigger boats now fish from Howth and further down the south coast and along the Western seaboard.

If you send me a name I can get you information.

The shot below is from Rogerstown Estuary in Rush. Will look for one of Rush Harbour and post it later

[EMAIL="%3Ca%20href="]3483726766_8011f5686d.jpg[/EMAIL]">

• Advertisement

Was there a place called "Rush Bay"? If I look at a map of Rush, there appears to be two possible "bays", one to the north of the golf course and one to the south.

Mark O wrote: »
    Was there a place called "Rush Bay"? If I look at a map of Rush, there appears to be two possible "bays", one to the north of the golf course and one to the south.

Not exactly. It may have been called Rush Bay in times past but I have never heard of it.

There are a number of Coves along the Coast. Rush in Irish is called
    Ros Eó "headland of the ewe tree" To the south of the golf club you have Rogerstown Estuary and to the north you have the north beach followed by cliffs and some small coves, namely Ladycove and the Roaring well, before the Drummanagh and then Loughshinny. If you go into Google maps the satelitte view you get a good view or log onto www.fingalcoco.ie and there will be maps there. If you zoom in close enough you will see Channel Rd which I emailed you about.

Hope to pm you with some information tomorrow.

I never got that e-mail Leo. Woudl you mind sending it again, or try mark.ohara@oharaengineering.com

I found a great site for maps:
    http://ims0.osiemaps.ie/website/publicviewer/main.aspx#V1,724974,753398,6
    If you go to the right side of the screen, you can select differnt maps including some old ones (possibly maps created under the Griffith's Valuation???)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

That should be "headland of the Yew tree". (Unless you guys have tree-climbing sheep over there. ;))

Hill Billy wrote: »
    That should be "headland of the Yew tree". (Unless you guys have tree-climbing sheep over there. ;))

Thank you Sir, No they are not sheep, they are actually a cross between a Jack Russell and Squirell's;). They came to Rush because you crowd would not feed them:)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

They came to Rush because you crowd would not feed them:)
    Probably because we were interfering with them. You know what us Hills folk are like. ;)

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Probably because we were interfering with them. You know what us Hills folk are like. ;)

I knew I recognised you, You are one of the Beverley Hilly Bill(y)ies.... Black Gold, Texas Tea:)

Advertisement