Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorus ntl Broadband any good?

• 27-09-2009 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I am sick of Eircom's servers nosediving every few weeks so I want to switch. I've been looking through all the sites (at an agonisingly slow speed) for an hour or two and have decided that the Chorus ntl 20mb Broadband Ultra (http://www.upc.ie/broadband/twenty/) deal is the best I can find. I'm not too concerned with cost. All I want is fast download speeds (at least 4mb) and upload speeds of at least 1mb and no monthly usage cap.

This service advertises 20mb dl speeds and 1.5mb upload speeds for €48/mont (Price listed, €42, is the price for those who already have ntl tv which I don't have or want).

Does anyone have this service? Is it reliable? I know that the speeds advertised are "up to's" but given the speeds they claim to provide I would assume they are usually above 8 to 10mb downloads.

Thanks for any help with this
    Rory

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Rorkimaru wrote: »
    I am sick of Eircom's servers nosediving every few weeks so I want to switch. I've been looking through all the sites (at an agonisingly slow speed) for an hour or two and have decided that the Chorus ntl 20mb Broadband Ultra (http://www.upc.ie/broadband/twenty/) deal is the best I can find. I'm not too concerned with cost. All I want is fast download speeds (at least 4mb) and upload speeds of at least 1mb and no monthly usage cap.

This service advertises 20mb dl speeds and 1.5mb upload speeds for €48/mont (Price listed, €42, is the price for those who already have ntl tv which I don't have or want).

Does anyone have this service? Is it reliable? I know that the speeds advertised are "up to's" but given the speeds they claim to provide I would assume they are usually above 8 to 10mb downloads.

Thanks for any help with this
    Rory
    Firstly, have you tried changing your DNS server ip addresses? My understand is that it is the DNS servers that are the problem with Eircom.

I have the 10mb package with NTL. I haven't had a problem with it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Rorkimaru

axer wrote: »
    Firstly, have you tried changing your DNS server ip addresses? My understand is that it is the DNS servers that are the problem with Eircom.

I have the 10mb package with NTL. I haven't had a problem with it yet.

I remember being told that before actually. I'll try switching to OpenDNS and If I'm still getting problems I'll switch ISP

Edit: Switched to opendns, tried speed tests again and got the exact same results. Guess I've to just switch ISP. Looks like NTL is the way to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

Make sure UPC is available first.
    They don't cover all of Dublin.

Advertisement