Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another Query on Mary I Post Graduate Course

• 27-09-2009 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hello all.

In researching the Mary I 18 month postgraduate course for primary teaching, I've found that outside of the departments publication's, boards.ie was the main source of discussion on this subject.

I'm a 21yr old graduate who has always held great interest in this area and would greatly appreciate any help or advice you could spare.

My primary areas of concern are;

a) Getting my Irish back to an appropriate level.

b) The content of both Irish and English Interviews.

Are there any forum members that could spare some advice, perhaps some current post-grad students with testimonials of the dreaded interviews???

Thanks regardless.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

First of all I would find out whether they are running the Post Grad next year. My sister is interested in it but they have not announced whether it is going ahead or not. My mother was told by someone in the DES that they had decided not to run it but that they were going to discuss it and make a decision a few weeks ago. No such decision has been announced as far as I am aware. So I would check that first. :)

I am of no help in terms of the interview process as I didn't do it myself but I'm sure someone here can help you. Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

Donny_DMC wrote: »
    Hello all.

In researching the Mary I 18 month postgraduate course for primary teaching, I've found that outside of the departments publication's, boards.ie was the main source of discussion on this subject.

I'm a 21yr old graduate who has always held great interest in this area and would greatly appreciate any help or advice you could spare.

My primary areas of concern are;

a) Getting my Irish back to an appropriate level.

b) The content of both Irish and English Interviews.

Are there any forum members that could spare some advice, perhaps some current post-grad students with testimonials of the dreaded interviews???

Thanks regardless.
    A friend of mine went for this but didn't get it, as competition is very high for the course, about 400 people are interviewed for 120 places. In the Irish interview you are asked basic questions such as your interests and hobbies, the main thing to get right in the Irish interview is you past, present and future tenses. One question I remember he was asked in the English interview was whether he was prepared for the course (it's a 3 year degree rolled into 18 months so it is pretty intense). Basically in the English interview they are looking to know how organised you are and also how your communication skills are. My friend got an A in his English interview and a C for his Irish interview (he told me he messed up his tenses in the Irish interview) but it was not good enough.

Postedit: Here is the official Mary I boards thread: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055546785&page=6
    It's a stiky under the UL one and someone on there may be able to give you more information

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

you might find the forum on www.educationposts.com helpful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Donny_DMC

javababe wrote: »
    First of all I would find out whether they are running the Post Grad next year. My sister is interested in it but they have not announced whether it is going ahead or not. My mother was told by someone in the DES that they had decided not to run it but that they were going to discuss it and make a decision a few weeks ago. No such decision has been announced as far as I am aware. So I would check that first. :)

I am of no help in terms of the interview process as I didn't do it myself but I'm sure someone here can help you. Good luck.
    I appreciate your reply, thanks:)

I too had heard that they were unsure whether the course would run this year, as budget cuts were threatening the number of courses.
    However, I have been in contact with the college and they have told me that application forms will be available this Autumn :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I appreciate your reply, thanks:)

I too had heard that they were unsure whether the course would run this year, as budget cuts were threatening the number of courses.
    However, I have been in contact with the college and they have told me that application forms will be available this Autumn :)

That's great news. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Donny_DMC

A friend of mine went for this but didn't get it, as competition is very high for the course, about 400 people are interviewed for 120 places. In the Irish interview you are asked basic questions such as your interests and hobbies, the main thing to get right in the Irish interview is you past, present and future tenses. One question I remember he was asked in the English interview was whether he was prepared for the course (it's a 3 year degree rolled into 18 months so it is pretty intense). Basically in the English interview they are looking to know how organised you are and also how your communication skills are. My friend got an A in his English interview and a C for his Irish interview (he told me he messed up his tenses in the Irish interview) but it was not good enough.

Postedit: Here is the official Mary I boards thread: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055546785&page=6
    It's a stiky under the UL one and someone on there may be able to give you more information
    Thanks for the information.
    The stiff competition is petty much famous at this stage, but this is my only chance at achieving what I want. I'll do everything in my power to make it work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

my only chance

:confused: what about hibernia or the UK PGCE :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

pathway33 wrote: »
    :confused: what about hibernia or the UK PGCE :confused:
    Might be the fact that at the moment you have to pay for both of these, the Hibernian one costs around €8,000, and you are not entitled to any maintenance grant, seen as it is a privately run course.

Advertisement