Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thoughts on a new protest against Nama

• 27-09-2009 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Hi all,
    I know there are many users on this site who have a huge contempt for the government at present and rightly so. Nama is likely to pass but the public need to make their voice heard. I believe we cannot sit idly by and let this happen without at least trying. I am not proposing another march and I would rather the 'headbangers' stay away.
    The ordinary people of Ireland are witnessing the greatest injustice that this government have ever done and we do nothing.
    The Dail is not in session next week due to campaigning for Lisbon. They return to the Dail on Tuesday week. What I am proposing is that there would be a consistent presence outside Dail Eireann for the 3 days a week that the TD's are present. I am hoping that passers by will stop and stay.
    I am hoping that the media will gather and see that this is a protest that is being organised by someone who has no political affiliation and has been motivated by pure frustration and anger.
    If there was only a core group of people who were there every day and the people online here were attempting to get more people to join us.
    By the way I will be travelling from Cork and will have to sacrifice a lot to start this. Time is scarce.
    A mantra I grew up with was 'they shall succeed who want to enough'. Big question is 'do we'?
    I look forward to hearing your thoughts and hopefully seeing you Tuesday week.

Regards,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

It's a good idea but unfortunately if the Shinners (or others) catch wind of it they will hijack it for their own ends. I've been at two of the NAMA protests and a couple of the Union protests a while back and they are like clockwork. 8/10 guys with SF placards and a banner proclaiming the success 1916 and the Hunger strikes. At the CPSU protest people were very pissed off with them for gatecrashing, but there is nothing you can do if it is a public protest.

There's little you can do to stop it unfortunately. You may get away with it for a day or so but they will turn up like a bad rash.

It's a good idea though and I'd certainly join you.

Just don't expect the 'screwballs' to stay away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 honesty101

Thanks for that. I have set up an e-mail address for all interested parties as I want to have an idea of numbers. Please mail namagate@gmail.com

Regards,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I'm not a member of anything but it seems like the 'screwballs' are the only ones who protest on a regular basis and others only turn up when it interests them. So who is really hijacking protests?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

So who is really hijacking protests?

The last NAMA protest was a shambles because it was dedicated to NAMA (it's original intention) but we had RSF, Unions etc descending on it with their own particular agenda rather than a cohesive body of Irish citizens devoted to protesting NAMA.

THAT is hijacking a protest. I can tell you that at least a dozen people I know who are ordinary Irish taxpayers had intended to protest NAMA but when they saw the disjointed collection of protesters, they refrained. And I would say more were put off by the protesters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I'm not a member of anything but it seems like the 'screwballs' are the only ones who protest on a regular basis and others only turn up when it interests them. So who is really hijacking protests?

there are loads of professional protesters - who turn up in support of ANYTHING - just 'cos its against "the man" .... some of the same people who were in support of the Rossport5, were in support of "Shannon plane activists" .... and have also turned out in support of Dublin Docklands workers and Thomas Cook workers.

these are the very same people who the Gardai video at protests (and who ALWAYS have a video camera pointing back at the Gardai - while covering their own faces) .... in my opinion its these people who start/incite violence at protests - they usually have a megaphone for their chants and get in the face of Gardai....I'm all for making the ignorant politicians aware that they have destroyed the country - while they are chauffer driven around to appointments/meetings.....but if things are done properly and proper punishments for politicians when caught abusing public money.

Personally I think lots of politicians should be sacked - but they are nearly all at it - its been common place for years and only recently its becomming more and more evident that its our money that they are spending/wasting - we as a nation cant afford to spend money - let alone waste it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement