Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most embarrassing bowling moment.

Options
  • 27-09-2009 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭

I don't know if a thread like this has been done before, but I was recently going through some old stuff and found some of my bowling trophies and medals, and two prizes in particular made me laugh.

Anyway, I've got 2 embarrassing "moments".

I was invited by a friend to play a league in Bray. It was a 6 p.m. or 7 p.m. game and inevitably they'd just oiled the lanes. It was 4 to a team and I bowled atrociously for the whole league. We managed to scrape into the round robin final, which was also held on a Friday night but they'd moved it from the 6 or 7 p.m. start to a 9 p.m. start. I went into that final with a handicap of 43. That was pretty embarrassing for me. In practice that night I knew after I'd rolled the first ball that there was a huge difference in the oil on the lanes. We won the tournament, but I got some funny looks and more than a few snide "sandbagger" comments. Over the 5 games I bowled and average ......

wait for it ..... :D:D:D

236 :eek:

The second one, and the one I referred to above was in Palmerstown. I'd only bowled in one league there prior to this and had also performed dismally. A friend asked me to play in a 10 p.m. Doubles league. Knowing my game and the way the lanes would be I didn't have to think about it.

Thankfully I knew most of the bowlers in this league as a lot of them played in Crumlin as well. So when I marched out with a 40+ handicap it was regarded by almost all as funny (My Crumlin average was a pretty consistent 180 - 190). But they knew my style and understood why I could have a 40+ handicap playing in a different house.

Anyway, when it came to the awards at the end of the league, I won the HIGHEST SERIES (740 ish) and then came THE single most embarrassing moment in my bowling career. I had just sat down after picking up my prize when I was called back up to collect the prize for "MOST IMPROVED BOWLER". There was uproarious laughter and then the ribbing started. "CHEAT! SANDBAGGER! BOLLIX! :D" I admit, I was a strange colour when I collected that prize. :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Funnily enough in my earliest days of bowling I bowled in Palmerstown leagues and was averaging 140. Then one week I ended up partnering a guy from Palmerstown bowl in a handicap tournament in Stillorgan. His original partner, a better bowler than me at the time, had to pull out late in the day.

So I go to Stillorgan with my polyester Ebonite Maxim ball and proceed to bowl three 180+ games with my huge handicap.

I'd never heard the term 'sandbagger' before that :)

Another time I was on the approach and somehow managed to slip mid release. The result was that my ball landed on the lane to my right and knocked some of his pins :o

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭gs300

I was bowling for Ireland inthe junior triple crown in wales last year, It was just after the singles and some of the middle lanes were a few frames behind due to a break down,anyway i had taken my last shot for the singles and was looking down the other end of the house looking at my other team mates, DOR if you are a bowler you will know who that is ha ha well he as on the lanes when all of a sudden from the main door a basket ball came flying over the reception and the crowd bounced on the approach and finished in the middle of the gutter on his lane, the crowd went silent for a couple of seconds while everyone was looking around and then fits of laughung broke out it was the funniest moment of the comp ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 woodyb

I was entered in the kerry open this year, my name was put in by someone in tralee and it was my very first comp. started a five minute warm up and was getting strike after strike so needless to say the confidence level was high. anyway practice time ran out and the competition was on. being a newbie i didn't have enough confidence to throw the first ball so let most of the other lanes start first. came to my first shot and released the ball nicely, it was travelling nicely down the lane when the mechanic, in his infinite wisdom, decided to reset the pins on my lane for some unknown reason. so down came the sweep, my ball clattered into it and the whole place stopped to look, mortified.

Another moment was when i got my new bowling shoes and didn't realise how slippy they are when new. Needless to say, first shot ended up arse over elbow on the approach.

both first shot blunders so from now on i'm gonna try start on the second frame:)

Advertisement