Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mince ?

Options
  • 27-09-2009 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭

Besides from spag Bol chillie, cottage buy and lasange what wlse can you do with it :confused: and hamburgers

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I make a meatball casserole.

Add breadcrumbs, salt& pepper, chopped onion and a beaten egg to your mince and shape into meatballs. Roll in flour and brown in the pan. Put into a casserole dish with roughly chopped carrot, onion and celery, sprinkle on a dessertspoon of flour and stir. Add seasoning, herbs, a beef stock cube and half a tin of tomatoes (or fresh ones if you have them. Top up with hot water and stir. Cover with a lid and cook at 180c for 2 hours. I cook mine in a slow cooker for 4-5 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

You can make yuk sung (mince in lettuce leaves)

Another nice dish is to sweat finely diced onions in oil, add mince and chopped peppers, cook until mince is nicely browned then add paprika (off the heat) and a little water, stew until it's cooked and reduced to a thick, loose consistency. In a greased baking dish layer cooked rice, the mince mixture, cooked french beans/peas, more mince, rice, then sour cream on top, with grated cheese to finish. Bake at 180c for 30-45mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Enchilladas are tasty. Chilli con carne can be good too served with rice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Colpriz

Moussaka..layered dish of eggplant, flavoured mince with a topping of bechamel sauce..is the yummy! Is thought of as mostly a Greek dish, but not specifically..recipes vary..but you're 99% sure you find one in a Greek cookbook..enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Meatballs!

Pound of mince, pound of sausage meat, grated onion, squirt of tomato puree.

Mix well, then round into balls, fry off, then bung in the oven for ~20mins.

Serve with whatever sauce you fancy, I usually do a tomato sauce. But they'd also be nice with a creamy mushroom sauce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

love mince. How about wontons?

But chilli is the business. Use left overs with wraps to make burittos.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Another vote for meatballs here. I've made this a few times, simple enough and tasty. http://www.thegoodmoodfoodblog.com/2007/10/italian-meatballs-mood-food-style.html

Chilli is a good way to go, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

I make a spicy mexican casserole.

Fry up some mince with onions and put some chilli powder (and salt and pepper of course) in with the mince when cooking it. Chop up some peppers and fry them with it too. When all is done ad a tin/ or 2 of chopped tomatoes (juice and all). Cook for about 5/ 10 min with the tomatoes in it for the flavours to mix around. All the while when doing this add the chilli powder to the mince till it is spicy enough for you. Get some potatoes on the pot, and have them mashed by the time this is done. Put the mice and all in a casserole dish and put the mashed potato on top (like a Shepards pie). If you want you can grate some red cheese to put on top of the potatoes, then put in the oven on about 180 for 10min. This is really easy and quick enough to cook, and it tastes lovely :) You can also add whatever you want when frying the mince garlic, mushrooms, whatever really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

+1 for Moussaka....

and it can be frozen.

I also make koftas or pasties/samosa's or just plain curry (with potatoes in it).

My dad makes a 'soupy stew' - its like a stew but with mince, celery + what ever vege is around - so its more of a soup. he adds dumplings and its yummy, cheap and tasty. Its his 'signature' dish ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Shouldn't Yuk Sung technically be made with pork mince?

Anyway, my staples with mince are:

Burrito Pie

Italian Meatloaf

Meatball Stroganoff

Cheeseburger Macaroni

Beef Florentine

Cumin Onion burgers

Tater tot pie

Let me know if you want any of the recipes.

• Advertisement

Yep, in that recipe yuk sung is made with pork mince, but OP didn't mention beef mince, just mince, which I take to mean any type of meat, minced. I've made it with beef mince before and it's just as nice. And for meatballs using 50:50 pork:beef is a really nice combo too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

OP didn't mention beef mince, just mince, which I take to mean any type of meat, minced.

Considering he mentioned spaghetti bolognese, cottage pie and lasagna I would have thought chances were he was referring to beef mince.

Where do you get your pork mince? My butcher doesn't do it and the very odd time I've bothered with it from the supermarket it's been VERY fatty.

I just ask my local butcher to do it; they're happy to oblige as they mince their meat to order anyway. They use trimmed pork leg which is quite lean. I like the flavour and it's a nice change from beef. If you ask your butcher to do it for you I'm sure it'd be no problem.

Advertisement