Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tap problem

Options
  • 27-09-2009 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know what the tap attached is meant to do at the relevant positions? Or if you can tell me the name of the tap I can google it maybe.

These taps are for my old washing machine and I can't switch the taps off/stop the water coming through them for some reason. The red tap on the left only turns a quarter turn. Both 3 o'clock and 6 o'clock don't stop the water from coming through the tap. Should I be forcing the tap to a different position? I'd be a bit scared to force plumbing issues.

Any suggestions at all welcome :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

they should move 90 degrees. usually if the lever is on correct it indicates the direction of the valve inside. horizonatal for off and vertical for on. if they havent been turned off in a good few years u may have a lime buildup or something which is stopping them from closing fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Horizontal, ie: pic on the right yeah?

I imagine it hasn't been turned in ages, how can I go about fixing that do you think? Or is it plumber time?

ya the red in right pic. but thats if the lever is on in the right oreintation. if ur any way good at diy could prob replace them yourself. just turn off water in house and drain hot and cold tanks before changing them over

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Aye, I'll need to see if I can find the mains tap. Cheers maz.

its under the sink or outside under a little silver cover usaually

• Advertisement
Advertisement