Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do any hiking clubs allow dogs?

Options
  • 27-09-2009 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey,
    I've recently taking up hiking again, but I would be interested in joining a hiking/hillwalking group (in the Midlands/Dublin?). The only drawback is that I have a dog and would like to bring her too. I have contacted one group and they said that they "do not allow dogs, it is part of our agreement with the landowners".
    Is this the case for most clubs?
    Thanks,
    Mags

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

I doubt any clubs allow them. Generally clubs or individuals rely on the landowners permission to access their land, it's not always sought but there's a kinda general agreement to allow access, throw a Dog into the equation and there's a good chance you won't be allowed access. That's a very simplified answer but you'll get the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MagsB

Hi Gillo,

Thanks for the reply - that's what I thought. It's a shame though, some dog owners are responsible and clean up after them and don't allow them to chase livestock, but I suppose, what can you do? Oh well!

Thanks,
    Mags

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

There's probably some insurance issues, too. The world's very litigious these days.

You could always organise, privately, walks with your mates (even those you meet through a club that doesn't takes dogs) and go that way.

Advertisement