Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Ericsson W995

• 27-09-2009 1:07pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,578 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi
    I was thinking of getting this on meteor bill pay,Im just wondering if anyone here has it and is it a good phone?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,578 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Anyone at all have it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Yeah its a brilliant phone!

Great battery life, good mp3 player etc

Camera is OK only, was expecting a bit more from an 8MP....

Would recommend it, especially for €80 on Meteor!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,578 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

whats the internet like on it?does it come with opera?I know its wifi compatible but dont have wifi at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Doesn't have opera no, but there is a built in browser which is grand. Using Edge is fine for browsing on the move getting emails etc Also includes a youtube app

The built in sat nav application is actually pritty good. Also has google maps!

Pacifico wrote: »
    Doesn't have opera no, but there is a built in browser which is grand. Using Edge is fine for browsing on the move getting emails etc Also includes a youtube app

The built in sat nav application is actually pritty good. Also has google maps!

Cool,how much a month are you paying?20? also did you get an allowance for the internet use? and was that extra?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

Hi
    I was thinking of getting this on meteor bill pay,Im just wondering if anyone here has it and is it a good phone?

Have ths phone for a few weeks now and totally love it.

My first SE phone but just a couple of things I'm not happy with,

The 8.1 MP camera is such a disapointment, I've got better pictures from my my old N73 3.2MP and its nowhere near my Nokia 6220C 5.0MP. It has face detection and alot of normal camera features, but picture quality is so poor. ( Maybe more time needed in manual set up?)

The GPS is so slow, again its nowhere near the quality and speed of my Nokia 6220C. Takes forever to lock onto sats.

It sounds like I dont like it but when you have used good phones with good features I think honest feedback is of upmost importance for someone purchasing.

I use this phone on 3 network and its web browsing is far superior to any Nokia I've used.

Meteor, well I wouldn't touch them wth a barge pole so cant help ya there.

Overall I'd highly recommend the phone, I'm just picky!

How much did you pay for it in 3?

How much did you pay for it in 3?

Way more than I allowed myself to pay for an upgrade! HA!

It was €225 I think? On Relax 350

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

I got mine for €49 on Meteor, and bar the slightly sub-par camera, everything's just fine. I like it very much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,243 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

gpjordanf1 wrote: »
    its web browsing is far superior to any Nokia I've used.

that's a bold statement, are you just using the standard sony browser? What makes it so good? Quick?

• Advertisement

Way more than I allowed myself to pay for an upgrade! HA!

It was €225 I think? On Relax 350

Jaysus bai,you payed 225 for it on bill pay?whens it 49 in meteor :O.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭IH77

The GPS is so slow

I know its wifi compatible

Why does the meteor site say this phone doesn't come with wifi and GPS? Yet this site confirms these features? ...and "M2 cards (up to 8MB)" : I think they mean 8GB!

This phone looks good and I would have looked at it sooner had the Meteor site had more accurate information :confused:

that's a bold statement, are you just using the standard sony browser? What makes it so good? Quick?

Yeah its very quick, would kick Nokias ass everytime. But that being said I have not used a N96, 97 etc?

So to me its very quick, smooth and responsive even with low signal.

Very happy with it!

I got mine for €49 on Meteor, and bar the slightly sub-par camera, everything's just fine. I like it very much.
    Jaysus bai,you payed 225 for it on bill pay?whens it 49 in meteor :O.

Sorry not a fan of Meteor at all, even if they gave me €225, the phone and a years free contract on their top package, I would gladly say No Thank You!

Yes I'm with 3 and most of ye would say the same about 3, but I'm happy and thats all that matters!

Move on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I wasn't impressed with the camera and I thought the button placement on the side was just awkward. I returned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I have the C905 which, as far as I know, is basically the same phone except the camera is miles better. Might be worth looking into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Completely agree on the camera !! What a disappointment !! I have the K800i with a 3.2 MP camera and AF excellent photos. But the thing is the K800/850 are sold as Cybershot Phone/Cameras whereas the W705/715/995 are sold as WALKMAN/Phones therefore the camera wouldn't be expected to compete.

The phone really does cram in a lot of bang for a lotta bucks though ! The DLNA Wifi system allows you to share the media on your phone with your PS3/WMP computer - The sound quality from the Walkman is excellent if a shade on the low side for driving good sized 'phones. I'd agree about the button location and the size of the volume control/camera zoom buttons. They force you to hold the phone in a dangerously precarious way - could easily be dropped.

GPS is good but I've no way of comparing it to similar devices _ I use a TomTom in car thingy :)

Build quality is quite good but I wouldn't like to drop it too often but then that would apply to any slider/flip style device I think - more bits to fall off.

Web browsing is pretty good given screen size but just can't compete with the iPhone/iPod Touch. The installation of Apps isn't great again compared to the iPhone system. A saving grace I think is the auto orientation of the large clear and bright display.

The build in VideoDJ app is really cool IMO. Quick and simple to use and reasonable results perfect for YouTUBE !!

I'm using it on Meteor by the way.

My score would be 8.5/10 - let down by the camera and the button locations.

Ken

bigkev49 wrote: »
    I have the C905 which, as far as I know, is basically the same phone except the camera is miles better. Might be worth looking into.

Main problem with the C905 is the build quality, and lots of people returning them because the speaker stops working.
    ZENER wrote: »
    ..My score would be 8.5/10 - let down by the camera and the button locations.

I didn't think the SQ was that amazing. Between that and the camera buttons, I didn't see the point.

BostonB wrote: »
    Main problem with the C905 is the build quality, and lots of people returning them because the speaker stops working.

Yeah? Is it a recognised issue so? Just wondering because I have noticed a slight crackling in the speaker lately, nothing major but just irritating. Other than that I think it's a great phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I had a C905. Loved it, but had it repaired 3 times with the speaker issue. Got a replacement but I ended up selling it. Disappointing as I love Sonys, and the camera was great on it. Have the W995, and it's good but the camera is nowhere as good as the C905.

• Advertisement

Seems very common. Really pity becasue its a nice phone otherwise.

chrislad wrote: »
    I had a C905. Loved it, but had it repaired 3 times with the speaker issue. Got a replacement but I ended up selling it. Disappointing as I love Sonys, and the camera was great on it. Have the W995, and it's good but the camera is nowhere as good as the C905.
    BostonB wrote: »
    Seems very common. Really pity becasue its a nice phone otherwise.

Hmmm...so do you reckon it's better to pre-empt the failure of the speaker and get back to O2 about it? Maybe change to another model?

It really seems a quality phone though, each new SE I've had has been a good leap ahead from the last. T630-K800i-C902-C905.

Dunno mate. They have a 2 yr warranty so I your happy with the phone why not just use it and be happy with it? Get it fixed when it breaks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

Sorry not a fan of Meteor at all, even if they gave me €225, the phone and a years free contract on their top package, I would gladly say No Thank You!
    Yes I'm with 3 and most of ye would say the same about 3, but I'm happy and thats all that matters!

Move on!

Sorry, there seems to be crossed wires here.

I was just replying to the OP
    Hi

when I said

as I thought my purchase & network choice would be relevant to their decision. Your current choice of network and your thoughts on mine didn't really come into it, to be honest. :)

(however, there's been a price rise on the handset in Meteor stores now, so the phone is now €79 on the decent tariffs.)

Hmm I think I'll leave it and get something else or else wait for the next sony release.

Have this phone and love it.. Wasn't expecting much from the camera and I don't take photos anyway. The video quality is pretty good though I thought.
    Great phone and a joy to use..

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Philip42

I have this phone and I'm really happy with it...as a phone it's useability/keypad is excellent. i don't understand sites criticising the keypad feedback as I think it's the best on any phone I've ever owned (and that's a lot!). TrackID is excellent. Opera Mini can be installed no problem, so no need to use the Sony browser. I'm on Meteor Bill Pay Lite, so they won't give me an upgrade as such. At the time, my only way of getting this phone was signing up to one of their more expensive (less good) tariffs, so I bought it sim-free from an Irish website (based in Dublin City Centre!)...best price on the net. I'd highly recommend this phone. I have heard about the camera quality not being good, but 1. I rarely use the camera on the phone as I have a very good digital camera as it is, and 2. Are you sure the camera/photo quality hasn't been addressed since earlier posts with a firmware upgrade?

When I had one I kept pressing the buttons on the side by accident when I answered a call.

Have this phone a while now and the only problem is the audio is quite low.. I carry my itouch aswell because of this. Top notch phone though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,529 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I have mine since last summer. I wish I had waited and picked up a HTC Hero.
    I find it buggy as hell (using the Sony browser). Constant crashes and unforced reboots (and yes, I'm running the latest system software).

Just started using Opera Mini v5 beta, and that seems to have improved things significantly. Agree with the previous comments about the side buttons. They're practically unusable. Also, using the Sony browser (over Wifi) I have real trouble getting any secure sites to work correctly. Haven't gotten around to trying Opera over Wifi.

I find the camera to be fine, but not as good as my 3Mmp k800i. Chassis is great though. I like the small factor with the large screen, but would definitely pick up an Android instead.

Advertisement