Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I remove the paint on a metal slide

Options
  • 27-09-2009 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭

I want to make te glock17 slide silver and then polish it, it's the metal slide I left it to soak in White sperit
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

I want to make te glock17 slide silver and then polish it, it's the metal slide I left it to soak in White sperit
    thanks

Use varying grades of sandpaper to remove the paint, start with a rough grade and go right down to a very smooth grade sandpaper.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

White spirit won't really do anything to the cured paint. Get hold of some nitromors paint and varnish remover from a DIY shop if you dont want to do the whole sanding lark.

I prefer to sand though since your not only sanding, your flatting the piece too and that makes a huge difference when polishing.

Depending on the surface, start with a minimum of 400(if its one of those course finish slides like the Miaster and Army) and work up through 600, 1200, 2000 and 2500 if you like, use thes papers with warm soapy water and a sanding block. then use a metal compound polish to buff it up. I usually use G3, a polishing compound used on freshly painted car panels.

After the P2000 paper it will already look kinda shiny but the polish really brings it to life.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Acetone is excellent for removing most paints and as it is a liquid it will remove from engravings and grooves.

Be cautious as this is a volatile solvent. It will attack most plastics so use with caution. However it will not damage any metal.

Take care, plenty of ventilation, no sources of ignition, eye protection and skin protection (i.e. nitrile gloves not latex as they will be disolved.)

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭elDiablo79

nitromors paint remover just dont leave it on too long or it will eat into the metal and then wash off and polish. i use it to strip paint off motorcycle frames before i get them powercoated. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Private Snafu

Sorry man, nitromors wont really do all that much to a decent aeg paintjob. Left a CA B&T body in it overnight but didnt do to much at all! Ended up rinsing and sanding :D

Your Best bet is doing as Masada said, sand using progressivly finer papers, then finish with polish to get that extra shiny :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭elDiablo79

lperrozzi wrote: »
    Sorry man, nitromors wont really do all that much to a decent aeg paintjob. Left a CA B&T body in it overnight but didnt do to much at all! Ended up rinsing and sanding :D
    are you sure you were using the proper nitromors because this stuff eats through 4 coats of clear and 6 coats of colour and this is motorcycle paint not the 1 or 2 coats of crap paint thats on AEGs. and you brush this stuff on and as soon as its on you can see paint bubbling and all you need to do then is wipe paint of with a rag. then polish the metal.

im sure sanding works but to me just seems alot of work to get paint off. you can go straight to the polishing part quicker this way.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Private Snafu

are you sure you were using the proper nitromors because this stuff eats through 4 coats of clear and 6 coats of colour and this is motorcycle paint not the 1 or 2 coats of crap paint thats on AEGs. and you brush this stuff on and as soon as its on you can see paint bubbling and all you need to do then is wipe paint of with a rag. then polish the metal.

im sure sanding works but to me just seems alot of work to get paint off. you can go straight to the polishing part quicker this way.:)

100% positive man, trust me I've worked with the stuff for years. Its grand on smaller parts were the paint isn't as resiliant... iron sights, small screws. But there was a complete lack of paint removal on the body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Aldi had a sandblaster a few weeks ago and Lidl have one on thursday

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20091001.p.Parksideun

Should do a nice job on it but you will need a compressor as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

trad wrote: »
    Aldi had a sandblaster a few weeks ago and Lidl have one on thursday

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20091001.p.Parksideun

Should do a nice job on it but you will need a ton of safety equipment as well.

FYP.

Advertisement