Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lisbon canvassers

Options
  • 27-09-2009 1:53pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone in Galway been canvassed by politicians for the Lisbon vote? Door-to-door or in the street? I've yet to be and am deeply disappointed not to have a chance to vent my anger..

Someone told me Frank Fahey was pressing the flesh in Oranmore during the week, I'd have some choice words for him.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Yep, they've gotten me at home and walking down the street. Found some pretty pushy ones (for both sides) on Shop St yesterday.

My neighbour got shouted at for having the 'wrong opinion' by a delightful militant canvasser, who then called back a half an hour later, forgetting she had already called and ranted at the occupants.:rolleyes:

had one while i was out washing the car.. laid it out to him what i thought of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 AnchormanSL

Frank Fahey was canvassing outside Knocknacarra Church Saturday Evening.

Éamon Ó Cuifadav and Michael D Higgins were on Shop Street yesterday about 3.

I saw some FGs around Eyre Square last week sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

i havent been canvassed yet, id love to have a "disscusion" with frank fahy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

I called a campaigner on Shop St. a "stupid ignorant f*cker" yesterday.

I feel kinda bad about it now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

Frank Fahey was canvassing outside Knocknacarra Church Saturday Evening.
    for heavens sake we cant pray in peace now. he,s such a prat. cant he get his driver go door to door in the country side and charge millions for doing it.we havent seen anyone around our gaff. why would we cos its way out in the country .2miles from carnmore airport moniva rd..we have no vote where we are anyway. aint going 50miles just to vote NO.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 AnchormanSL

blond45 wrote: »
    for heavens sake we cant pray in peace now. he,s such a prat. cant he get his driver go door to door in the country side and charge millions for doing it.we havent seen anyone around our gaff. why would we cos its way out in the country .2miles from carnmore airport moniva rd..we have no vote where we are anyway. aint going 50miles just to vote NO.

Frank Fahey being Chauffeur driven to your door and the thousands of other Rural voters-€€€€€
    Your 50mile drive to vote NO-€5-10
    Wiping the smirk of most politicians faces with the NO vote-Priceless

• Registered Users Posts: 25,947 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

blond45 wrote: »

A politician who's named in this thread (but not Frank) was INSIDE at least one church in the city this morning. There for the mass, and mingled with peope afterwards. I saw another man with him (who I didn't recognise) wearing a bright yellow "yes" sticker.

I wasn't chatting to 'em, so have no idea of whether they were explicitly campaigning or not. But this kinda stuff makes me feel uncomfortable, personally. (Hell, I even think that it's wrong to have charities collecting money at church gates.)

Personally, I'm inclined to say Yes. The outright lies being told by the "No" side have me convinced that they're cracked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

snubbleste wrote: »
    Someone told me Frank Fahey was pressing the flesh,
    What? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

I had a Coir rep shove something in the letter box and leave very quickly. I was kinda disapointed cause I would have loved to have a chance to talk to one of them (and challenge almost everything on the leaflet, but that's for another thread!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Despite a big "No flyers or junkmail" sign on our letterbox, we've gotten a couple of NO pamphlets.

I'm inclined to vote YES for no other reason than Palestine Man on Shop Street is canvassing for a NO vote!

*please not that that was meant to be tongue in cheek; he only tilts the balance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

just drove in across the city around midnight and the No campain poster boys were running around putting up more and more posters.

its almost like they wont be seen doing it in the day time for fear of people knowing them.

i see alot of recycling of posters, with yes stickers over the vote for 1.2.3 from the last elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

just drove in across the city around midnight and the No campain poster boys were running around putting up more and more posters.

its almost like they wont be seen doing it in the day time for fear of people knowing them.

i see alot of recycling of posters, with yes stickers over the vote for 1.2.3 from the last elections.

Saw some guys messing with yes posters the other day, my mate shouted from the car asking them what they were doing, turns out the were putting them up. :o

Recycling the posters is a great idea as long as they cover up the Fianna Fail logo with a yes sticker. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Not yet

if that arrogant bold **** (excuse my language) Ganley ever shows up my doorstep

i would grill him like theres no tomorrow

and god help if anyone from Coir comes around :D ill abort them before they could say another lie :P

im rather sick of all the lies and crap, and then we have NO campaigners vandalizing YES posters in Galway :( how low can they sink?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

One of the local councillors has been selected to put forward the No point of view on the bbc. Then I read the Yes section and the proponent says we're voting on a 'new package', eh it's the same treaty woman!
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8275265.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

as far as ive heard it has some slight differences.

Sean Whealan just mentioned on RTE1 Radio debate that we would have lost our Representative councellor last time round had we voted yes, amendments to the treaty now mean we wont.

Im not arguing if we do or dont just stating that there are changes

It's the exact same Treaty, nothing at all in it has changed not a single dot!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

This is the formation of an EU Federal government. Blank cheque of power for the establishment to impose whatever rule they wish.

Human nature doesn't scale.

I don't agree with any argument I've seen on the posters, pure propaghanda scare tactic bull**** from both sides.

"Oh the waste is shockin' so it is"

• Registered Users Posts: 25,947 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's the exact same Treaty, nothing at all in it has changed not a single dot!

How come the proposal last time meant that Ireland would not have have a permanent commissioner, but the proposal now is that we will? Are we voting on more than just a treaty?

• Advertisement

JustMary wrote: »
    How come the proposal last time meant that Ireland would not have have a permanent commissioner, but the proposal now is that we will? Are we voting on more than just a treaty?

All we are voting on is the Treaty like we did last year.
    However our government has said they have some 'guarantees' in relation to some issues, which will be meaningless in the future. If they really wanted to include those guarantees for the electorate, they'd be incorporated into the treaty itself.

anyway, my first canvasser came to my house last night, I was overjoyed to see him, delighted! They could'nt argue any of the points i made except say 'europe has been good to us' and 'jobs' and 'goodwill'..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

All we are voting on is the Treaty like we did last year.
    However our government has said they have some 'guarantees' in relation to some issues, which will be meaningless in the future. If they really wanted to include those guarantees for the electorate, they'd be incorporated into the treaty itself.
    And then have to have it re-ratified by the 24+ other member states who have already ratified it? If you want to keep on selling these magic beans, come on over to the European Union subforum of Politics, see how high they grow. Otherwise we can discuss who's been knocking on our Galway doors.

For the record, I haven't seen a single campaigner so far but there's no change there from any previous referendum/election. I did see the charming and honest Frank Fahey dishing out flyers at the Connacht-Cardiff game two weeks ago and the Galway branch of Hamas on Shop St but that's it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Zxyton

I plan to vote No and even I will agree that the No campaign has gone way over the top! I just hope that people can look past the campaign strategies and vote on the issues :)

The Good Friday agreement was an international treaty in just the same way as the current guarantees are. Are you saying that its invalid aswell?

po0k wrote: »
    This is the formation of an EU Federal government. Blank cheque of power for the establishment to impose whatever rule they wish.

How does it do that:confused:
    I don't agree with any argument I've seen on the posters, pure propaghanda scare tactic bull**** from both sides.
    I couldnt agree with you more!

My area has still been quiet with campaigners do they call around during evenings at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Only had the one campaigner round in the last few weeks (Salthill area), she was a Yes campaigner so no issues really as I am voting Yes.

Am really hoping to get to talk to a No canvasser before the vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 MrBill

I wish these politicians would take their goddam referendums and shove them up their arses. What the hell do we pay them for? Cant they sort this sh1te out themselves over in Dublin? What the hell do we know about this lisbon crap? Stinky hippies and politically minded arsegons running around town with their stupid yes and no stickers. I wish they would goddam...

cooperguy wrote: »
    How does it do that:confused:

Through dilution of the current bodies and creation of the office of European president, further abstraction of power from José and Margot Spudjzic and concentrated into a central body.
    Heil Monsieur President!
    Call me naïve, idealistic, faux-nostalgic for a time before my own, but I prefer the thought of mutually-beneficial co-operation, not [forced] co-opting of power and responsibility into the hands of largely faceless politicians and beurocrats. The election of a president flies in the face of co-operation and the theory that it is harder to corrupt a group than one person.

This whole thing stinks of a setup white-washed as 'democracy'.

I'm not anti-EU, I just do not see how having England, France, Germany and Italy leading us up the garden path is a good idea considering the skullduggery those countries' governments are involved in.

I don't agree with representative democracy, I feel it is an anachronism in an age of near-universal instantaneous communication.
    Open Network Society++

And I would like to see abortion legalised, regulated and requiring a medical necessity to be carried out. Boots 2for1 Babortion SlimMax €9.95 I do not want.

Any hoo, OT: Have there been any groups holding public meetings, debates, soapboxing etc. around town?
    Any meetings at the docks? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Through dilution of the current bodies and creation of the office of European president, further abstraction of power from José and Margot Spudjzic and concentrated into a central body.
    Heil Monsieur President!
    Call me naïve, idealistic, faux-nostalgic for a time before my own, but I prefer the thought of mutually-beneficial co-operation, not [forced] co-opting of power and responsibility into the hands of largely faceless politicians and beurocrats. The election of a president flies in the face of co-operation and the theory that it is harder to corrupt a group than one person.

I'm not anti-EU, I just do not see how having England, France, Germany and Italy leading us up the garden path is a good idea considering the skullduggery those countries' governments are involved in.

I don't agree with representative democracy, I feel it is an anachronism in an age of near-universal instantaneous communication.
    Open Network Society++

And I would like to see abortion legalised, regulated and requiring a medical necessity to be carried out. Boots 2for1 Babortion SlimMax €9.95 I do not want.

Any hoo, OT: Have there been any groups holding public meetings, debates, soapboxing etc. around town?
    Any meetings at the docks? ;)

Meh, try reading the summary of the text again, you see it as a conspiracy I see it as an attempt to improve efficiency (and the EU is currently very inefficient when it comes to operations) and removing any country bias from the role of the president. We'll never agree on this will we :P

No :)

• Advertisement

Heil Monsieur President!

The president your talking about isnt the president of Europe, he is the president of the European Council. Also this president isnt the same as President Sarkozy or President McAleese it is like the role of chairperson and he communicates between the Parliament and the Council etc.

This treaty was negotiated and agreed upon by all governments in the EU including Ireland. England, France, Germany and Italy didnt write it and produce it for everybody else to sign. Nothing sinister here.

Lisbon wont have any effect on this either way so your safe here.

Advertisement