Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning Stitches

Options
  • 27-09-2009 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

My dog had a lump removed on Thursday and shes doing well but I'm just wondering has anyone ever cleaned or washed the area where the stitches are? I spoke to the veterinary assistant about it and she said there is no need to clean the area but its still a slightly open wound (well its like a little cut on a human) so I'm just weary that it'll get infected or dirty.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Well you shouldn't really clean them, as you could introduce infection yourself, but you could ask the vet about using maybe a saline solution to clean it.
    Where are the stitches on your dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭MissyN

star-pants wrote: »
    Well you shouldn't really clean them, as you could introduce infection yourself, but you could ask the vet about using maybe a saline solution to clean it.
    Where are the stitches on your dog?

Thanks for the reply star-pants.

The stitches are on her chest. I'm a tiny bit OCD so this is probably why I'm dying to clean them!!! I'll ring the vet tomorrow and see what he says. It just doesn't make sense in my mind that I wouldn't clean the area at all in the 10 days before her stitches are removed.

Not to sound disrespectful but I don't trust what the assistants say yenno. They would have limited knowledge and proper care for my dog is very important to me.

Well you can talk to the vet yourself and enquire.
    When both my dogs got neutered we didn't clean their stitches, they lick them themselves and their saliva has antiseptic properties and will keep it clean too. Once they don't constantly lick it. They were both fine and healed great. So just keep an eye, or ask if you can maybe bathe the bottom half of them in warm saline water or something, but definitely ask before you try cleaning, you really don't want to make it any worse :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Hi,

I've worked as a Vet's Assistant and although we would have "limited knowledge" about veterinary medicine when compared to a vet in many respects, one of the first things I learned was aftercare of animals after surgery and particularly how to inform and instruct owners on aftercare at home.

Don't go near the stitches. If you think they look red, swollen, if there is discharge or if your dog is pulling at or excessively licking them or seems to be in pain then call your vet, but touching or cleaning them yourself in any way is not a good idea. It *might* do no harm but it might also lead to an infection, you just never know the outcome, it's best left to the professionals.

Just be vigilant and keep an eye on it for any of the symptoms I mentioned, that's the best thing you can do to help it heal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

star-pants wrote: »
    their saliva has anaesthetic properties and will keep it clean too.

I think you mean it has anti-bacterial properties!!! Hmm... if it had anaesthetic properties then surely a dog would be walking round all numb after licking himself!!!:D

• Advertisement

dee o gee wrote: »
    I think you mean it has anti-bacterial properties!!! Hmm... if it had anaesthetic properties then surely a dog would be walking round all numb after licking himself!!!:D

LOL sorry I meant antiseptic... stupid brain, my house is a mad house this weekend forgive me!

Spadina wrote: »
    Hi,

I've worked as a Vet's Assistant and although we would have "limited knowledge" about veterinary medicine when compared to a vet in many respects, one of the first things I learned was aftercare of animals after surgery and particularly how to inform and instruct owners on aftercare at home.

Now I did say that I didn't want to be disrespectful but honestly my dog is very important to me and since she cannot communicate with me about how shes feeling, I am depending on an expert in the field to help me so I only take what the assistant says with a pinch of salt. I've actually had to do this from bitter experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

You could get a tin of the spray the vet applies to the stitches after the operation and use that twice a day just to be sure.

I can't think of the name of it now but I'm sure you know the stuff, it's like silver paint, there are different brands the one I use is silver but it could be green or white either.

edit its called ALUSPRAY.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I've used Aluspray on small nicks and cuts like when they catch a nail on something works grand. But if the wound area is dirty then obviuosly it needs to be cleaned before you put it on, if it's not that the spray is fine.
    If unsure though you'll be buying it at the vets anyway so you could ask there.

To be honest anytime mine have had a small cut or nick I've been told by vets to use salt water. You can buy saline solutions but you can also boil a kettle that sterilises the water and then add salt to it and allow it to cool, if it's only a small thing that you just want to keep clean a mild solution should work it tends to sting so if the area is relatively clean then a mild solution should do. I can dry out the skin a bit but I've never had any problems with using it and it works quick I find wounds tend to heal quicker.

It's only salt and pre boiled water it can't do any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

please take the advice being given and dont go near the stitches you will probably do more harm than good,,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

MissyN wrote: »
    Now I did say that I didn't want to be disrespectful but honestly my dog is very important to me and since she cannot communicate with me about how shes feeling, I am depending on an expert in the field to help me so I only take what the assistant says with a pinch of salt. I've actually had to do this from bitter experience.

I think you know yourself that you're being a little OCD, and said it already in the thread.
    Just leave them alone and they'll heal, if they look irritated, then call your vet.
    IMO, you can call you're vet, but they'll probably tell you exactly the same thing.

I was concerned for my little fella at first, after he got neutered, but after a few days, the incision started to heal fine and he got the stitches removed after 2 weeks without having had any problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 tracey3

hi im a veterinary nurse dont touch the area at all it will only breck down the wound and desolve them so dont touch till they are out

Hey Guys

Thanks for all the advice. Its great to get the support from fellow doggie lovers :D

She seems to be doing ok at the min and I spoke to the vet today and he said to leave well alone as lots have said here so I'll leave the poor dog alone. I'd hate to irritate her little skin thats supposed to be healing.

I'm just glad shes in good form and running around again post op.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Hey Guys

Thanks for all the advice. Its great to get the support from fellow doggie lovers :D

She seems to be doing ok at the min and I spoke to the vet today and he said to leave well alone as lots have said here so I'll leave the poor dog alone. I'd hate to irritate her little skin thats supposed to be healing.

We can get a little over-protective can't we? ;)
    I'm just glad shes in good form and running around again post op.

Good news, if she's got the cone, she'll bash it everywhere.
    Our fella realised he could use it to stop doors closing & push things around - was like a bull in a china-shop for a while. :D

Advertisement