Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Specific Grants...

Options
  • 27-09-2009 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys/Girls,

Unless you've been living under a rock for the past while, I'm sure you've heard that the Government plan to re-introduce College Fees. I'm not getting into personal opinions/views on that subject, but instead have an idea to help:

Idea is to approach the college about running fund raisers to create more Grants within the college for whatever section of the college. Basically, there are endless amounts of charity work and fund raisers, I was just thinking of running them to help those who need it (Financially).

Would anyone know how to go about it, or are there any interested in helping the cause?

Thanks for Reading,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

While a noble and interesting idea, the college itself might be a little iffy about donations and such (even through fundraisers) unless they go through the appropriate channels.

However, the Welfare and Equalities officer of the SU Anna Wallace might be the person to contact, especially as the SU has a lot more direct contact with the college over various issues.

Perhaps send her an email with your idea; dep_pres@iadtsu.ie

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

Thank you for the contact details. I also see your point about being iffy about donations...things might get presumptious and nepotistic, hand't even thought of it on that angle. Idea is still very fresh on my mind.

Whole thought process came from the fact that many colleges have different types of grants and scholarships...they also run a lot of fundraisers to fund the scholarships. I was thinking it'd be good to combine the two, and give more people the opportunity of attending this specific college. I don't know what angle the scholarships would cover...I'm a student of EMCS, so from my perspective it could be a Journalist scholarship...you get fees covered if you write for the School Magazine (As far as I know, a proper school magazine has yet to be formally set up again, according to one of the lecturers). Or if your interests are in the Audio-Visual parts of the school, that you get a full scholarship if you make advertisements promoting the school etc...random things like that.

Very early days yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Inari wrote: »
    Or if your interests are in the Audio-Visual parts of the school, that you get a full scholarship if you make advertisements promoting the school.

I'd be all over that like a rash, granted I wont be paying full fees next year (just registration).

From past experience, the SU are in the offices from early Monday morning, give them a shout, I'm sure they'd be glad to hear your idea.

Advertisement