Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Power to Change Existing Treaties?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Furious-Dave

mangaroosh wrote: »
    Ireland doesn't require a referendum for treaty amendments, it requires it for new treaties, therefore treaty amendments do not require a referendum.

Wrong, Ireland requires a referendum for constitutional amendments, and that is what the Lisbon referendum is about (correct me if I'm wrong) If there wasn't going to be any changes to our constitution I'm fairly sure that the treaty would already have been ratified, and the majority of the electorate would be none the wiser.
    I know its really hard to admit that possibly, just possibly, the political elite of Europe are more motivated by their own self-interest, than the interest of those they represent.

And you think Cóir, Libertas, Sinn Féin, UKIP etc are any different?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

They were drawing attention to the Laval case is not a myth. I take it you didn't quite get the subtelty of the poster then. The EU found in favour of a Latvian company paying its workers €1.84 an hour in Sweden. That happened. The poster, could be misinterpreted to read that they are suggesting the same could happen in Ieland, or it could be correctly interpreted as drawing attention to that case and the "ideals" of the EU.

The €1.84 minimum wage figure has nothing to do with Laval. Perhaps you should actually do the research on the case and where these figures are pulled from.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

the EU found in favour of a Latvian company paying its workers €1.84 an hour in Sweden.
    No; the EU found that one of its directives couldn't be used to force a minimum wage to be paid in a country that didn't have a minimum wage.
    The poster, could be misinterpreted to read that they are suggesting the same could happen in Ieland, or it could be correctly interpreted as drawing attention to that case and the "ideals" of the EU.
    The poster was designed to get people worried that the Lisbon treaty could cause a reduction in the minimum wage in Ireland.

Don't compound the sheer mendacity of the poster by pretending that it was intended to have any other effect. I don't believe you're that naive.
    I also take it you didn't quite give it the level of scrutiny that you would try and claim, nor, I believe have you actually given any scrutiny to the lies and scaremongering of the Yes campaign.

Shame on you for being so biased
    Are you seriously - seriously - trying to claim that the Cóir poster was not intended to create the entirely dishonest and untrue impression that the minimum wage would be reduced in Ireland after the ratification if Lisbon?

I don't think even Cóir are shameless enough to try to pretend that.

Advertisement