Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental allowance with Rent-a-room Scheme

Options
  • 27-09-2009 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for a little bit of help. I've searched online and other threads and wasn't able to find exactly what I was looking for.

I've rented out a room this week in my house with the rent a room scheme. The guy who moved in is looking to get rent allowance which is fine with me. I know under the rent a room scheme I'm not technically a landlord and I don't need to register with the PRTB. I know I have to download and fill in a form letting the revenue know that I am getting an income from the rental (which won't exceed the €10,000 per year at all).
    I'm moving to London on Wednesday for work purposes. My partner is still going to be an owner occupier, I'll still be paying half the mortgage etc....
    I'm just wondering what else do I need to do to enable the lodger to claim rent allowance seeing as I don't have to register with the PRTB and I'm not technically a landlord?

Any help is appreciated.

Pete.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Nothing.
    Sign the form, you'll get a call from the CWO to confirm that this tenant is renting a room.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Thanks for the fast reply...I just didn't think it could be that simple in Ireland!

Pete.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Get the tenant to confirm they qualify for rent-allowance if renting a room from a resident landlord. Normally it is *not* acceptable. It has come up several times previously in this forum. Last time- the CWO came back to the houseowner suggesting they sign a lease for their 'tenant' giving the tenant significant rights that do not exist under the rent-a-room scheme. Obviously this is not in your interests- as a resident owner in the property- the 'tenant' is in fact only living with you under license and has no rights whatsoever.

I would be very hesitant to accept rent-allowance from a prospective housemate under the rent-a-room scheme for several reasons- not least eligibility concerns- but also the random nature in which the rate can change- of which you'll not be notified in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

A guy I rented a room out to in my home under the rent a room scheme got rent allowance. I wrote a letter for him stating the situation and that it was rented under the rent a room scheme. He had problems initially with a CWO officer but went back in next week to restate his case, got a different CWO officer and it was processed fine.

It seems to be a bit of a grey area to be honest. Just make sure that you fill in you form 11 at the end of the year declaring the income to cover yourself.

Advertisement