Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childminder

Options
  • 27-09-2009 3:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭

Hi,

Tomorrow morning (monday) i want to tell my childminder that we have to reduce her pay from €12 per hour to €9.
    She comes to us and minds my kids in our house and has done for the past 3 years. We have always paid her holiday pay regardless of when we go on holidays or when she takes hers.
    This is the only way that we can afford to keep her with us.
    Does anyone have any ideas how i can broach this subject with her.. i have to do it but i don't want to come across as a tight pr1ck about it or seem like we are trying to take advantage of her.
    What would be a good way of putting it?

BTW..we pay her cash in hand..i know it's illegal but she has another job and we didn't want to mess up her tax credits etc - so is €9 per hour still decent money??

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Well I mean if you have to decrease the payment you have to. Whatever you do, be careful as to your reasoning behind it. Don't come across as "We're reducing it because you are payed too much", your reasoning should be, "We really want to keep you as a childminder, and (I'm assuming here) you want to mind the children as you've built a relationship with them, however, the only way we can do this is by reducing your pay."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

This is the only way that we can afford to keep her with us.

Tell her this, its the truth and because of this the sincerity will come across. If you try to give another reason, or multiple reasons, then you run of risk of her doubting those reasons. The decision will be hers as to whether she remains with you or not.

Hope it goes well and you reach an arrangement that works for all of you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭newmills

Thanks guys - we really want her to stay so hopefully all will be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 legsXI

You have been far too generous with her salary for too long if you ask me. I've been workin in a bar for the last couple of years earning €9 per hour for really hard work and I've never received any holiday pay. I know this isn't right, but there are plenty of people like myself who are taken advantage of by their employers. I know people with law degrees earning €12 ph working as legal secretaries, her job isn't especially difficult or doesn't require a huge amount of skill so her salary has been way too high, and considering she has another job- don't feel guilty!! 9euro is more than enough and very generous on your part especially given the current economic environment. She should be grateful because there are hundreds of people who would happily take her place and she is very lucky to be workin for such decent people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

legsXI wrote: »
    You have been far too generous with her salary for too long if you ask me. I've been workin in a bar for the last couple of years earning €9 per hour for really hard work and I've never received any holiday pay. I know this isn't right, but there are plenty of people like myself who are taken advantage of by their employers. I know people with law degrees earning €12 ph working as legal secretaries, her job isn't especially difficult or doesn't require a huge amount of skill so her salary has been way too high, and considering she has another job- don't feel guilty!! 9euro is more than enough and very generous on your part especially given the current economic environment. She should be grateful because there are hundreds of people who would happily take her place and she is very lucky to be workin for such decent people.

Read: I'm believe I'm being shafted; everyone else should be too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭zoey

I know people with law degrees earning €12 ph working as legal secretaries, her job isn't especially difficult or doesn't require a huge amount of skill so her salary has been way too high,

Wow, my opinion would differ a bit there!!
    OP I would imagine given the current economic climate she will be understanding but I think you should put it to her and give her time to decide if she wants to continue. Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

What a ridiculous post.
    Well played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

9e per hour, cash in hand, is a very good wage IMO, especially as a second job. Don't feel guilty, plenty of people these days would be happy to take a pay cut rather than lose their jobs. And it's not like it's forever, by the sounds of things you are a very fair and caring employer, I'm sure if the time comes where you can afford a raise she will get one.

Good luck, hope things work out well.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭meisha

wow 9e an hour is brill,im fully qualified and wouldnt expect to get that,so if she wont do it...i will :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

I wouldn't do it for €20 an hour.... the only kid I like is mine :D Hardest job in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lalalulu

Wow legsxi.. That's a tad harsh isn't it??? Do you really think taking care of other people's children is easy? I think not! You work in a bar you are responsible for serving alcohol. A childminder take's care of other people's children, ya know human beings?!

Advertisement