Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minor Thesis - Currency Speculation

• 27-09-2009 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Im doing a postgrad where I have to do a minor thesis in an area of finance. I have little financial knowledge and have not done a thesis before so this is going to be a steep learning curve.

As a rough idea for the moment I am playing around with the idea of doing it on currency speculation from the point of view of a business trying to hedge their risk when dealing with foreign suppliers and customers where there is an extended period of credit.

Ill be posting here regularly with research ideas and how the thesis is going so if you have any ideas of what I can look into any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,612 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

given that its a standard section in financial management courses, what angle are you coming at it from? sampling certain companies/industeries?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 venturegambler

kicking off the courses this week so will know better in about two weeks. the idea generally now is to look at the impact of currency speculation on the economy of a country... the area of currency speculation interests me even though i know next to nothing about it at this stage but how to incorporate that into a minor thesis (about 5000 words not including references, ect) is still to be decided.

If anyone can direct me to something similar that is available to download that would be a big help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Textbooks wise, The Economics of Exchange Rates (2003), by Sarno and Taylor, and Exchange Rate Economics: Theories and Evidence (2007), by MacDonald, are the two main ones that I'm aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Hasschu

The airlines are very active in hedging fuel and currency risks. Annual reports that are readily available should shed light on the issues. Oil is priced in US$ and OPEC has some control over the supply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 venturegambler

Im still not sure what area to go in regards to the thesis and was wondering from the point of view of those working in capital intensive businesses could you give me an idea what area would be interesting to approach this from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Im still not sure what area to go in regards to the thesis and was wondering from the point of view of those working in capital intensive businesses could you give me an idea what area would be interesting to approach this from.

The absolute best person to have this discussion with will be the person supervising your thesis.

Think of an idea. Think of an explanation as to how you propose to examine this idea and bring it to them and thrash out something that'll be workable for a minor thesis.

''has the recent financial crises lead to an increase in efficiency in currency markets'' is a topic that is currently being discussed.

Advertisement