Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U.S. Immigration at Dublin Airport

Options
  • 27-09-2009 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi,

I'm heading to Las Vegas next Sunday. I'm flying with Continental via Newark. Flight leaves Dublin at 10.55am. Does anybody know if I'm likely to clear U.S. immigration at Dublin airport? Also, will I be able to check to my bag straight through to Veags? Or will I have to collect it in Newark and go through security again?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Your bags might be forwarded to Vegas but I think you will do immigration when you land in Newark.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Cliona99

When I flew Dub-Chicago-DFW in February I did immigration in Dublin, but when I went Dub-London-DFW, immigration was in Dallas. So as far as I know if your first stop is in the US immigration is done there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 ultron

seeing as you're departure city is Dublin you'll clear immigration in Dublin. Going from England you do it in America. Muche better going from dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

You will go through immigration in Dublin. Your bags will be checked through, BUT you need to grab them off the bagage carousel in Newark, walk them through customs, and then there will be an area to the left where you can leave them (ie you only have the bags for 20 yards or so).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

They don't customs in Dublin yet though, so you will have to put your bag through customs in Newark. I've done it in JFK before - it's a very short process, nothing like as painful as immigration, but it does mean you can't check your bag right through - you have to do customs in the first place you land in the States.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 AJ2012

Thanks for the replies guys. The reason I asked about the immigration process is that my understanding is that not all flights to the States clear immigration in Dublin. I flew direct to Orlando with Aer Lingus late last year and immigration was done in Orlando.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Immigration in Dublin only works 9-5 so flights outside of this time won't clear immigration in Dub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 gavinfa

Flying with Continental CO127 Dub to Newark (then onto Nashville)...Bags will be checked to Nashville ...as I currently understand it, the CO127 clears Immigration in Dublin, you collect bags in Newark, go through Customs and then drop bags off for transfer to Nashville. As I havea fairly tight stopover 1½ hours, can anyone confirm that the Immigration clearance is indeed done in Dublin? Have read all sorts of conflicting reports on tinternet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Doctor Zaius

Hi, I'm also wondering about this. I'm flying with Continental into Newark as well but my flight is at 9am in the morning so I'm guessing immigration won't be open by then. I'm completely clueless on what to do, first time flying to the States. Where is the immigration desk or how is it done in Dublin. Do I need to fill out any forms?

Also, I'm getting a connecting flight to St.John's in Canada. How does this affect me, if at all? Is there anything I need to do in Newark or Dublin about this.

All help is much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Enii wrote: »
    Immigration in Dublin only works 9-5 so flights outside of this time won't clear immigration in Dub.
    Is this a new development? I went to Orlando in Summer 2008 and went through immigration in Dublin at 8am.

I'm going to Dublin --> London --> Miami in June. I assumed immigration would be done in London.. correct me if I'm wrong though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

It is not a 9 - 5 thing. The two CO flights that leave Dublin about 2 hours apart are different. The early one does it in Dublin the later one does it in US. I can figure out the system to be honest. Soon though with T2 you will be doing it all in Dublin both immigration and customs.

gavinfa wrote: »
    Flying with Continental CO127 Dub to Newark (then onto Nashville)...Bags will be checked to Nashville ...as I currently understand it, the CO127 clears Immigration in Dublin, you collect bags in Newark, go through Customs and then drop bags off for transfer to Nashville. As I havea fairly tight stopover 1½ hours, can anyone confirm that the Immigration clearance is indeed done in Dublin? Have read all sorts of conflicting reports on tinternet.

Just got off the phone to Continental in Dublin and according to "Sylvia", all Continental flights departign Dublin for the US are pre-cleared for immigration....anyone beg to differ recently?:D

Hi, I'm also wondering about this. I'm flying with Continental into Newark as well but my flight is at 9am in the morning so I'm guessing immigration won't be open by then. I'm completely clueless on what to do, first time flying to the States. Where is the immigration desk or how is it done in Dublin. Do I need to fill out any forms?

Also, I'm getting a connecting flight to St.John's in Canada. How does this affect me, if at all? Is there anything I need to do in Newark or Dublin about this.

All help is much appreciated.

I had a connection in Canada. Had to go thru immigration there - got a stamp in my passport (cool!)

Just got off the phone to Continental in Dublin and according to "Sylvia", all Continental flights departign Dublin for the US are pre-cleared for immigration....anyone beg to differ recently?:D

Even if you clear immigration in Dublin you will have to do customs once you land in States.

You pick up your bag and then walk through customs then pass your bag back to a handler who sends it off to its next flight.

Very hand if you buy liquid duty free in Dub - you can now put it in to your checked luggage at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Flew about 2 months ago on the second flight in the morning and did it in Newark.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

If its the same as Shannon, you clear immigration and customs before getting on the plane

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

It can depend on your airline & where you're flying to, where you clear immigration. I've flown with both Aer Lingus & American Airlines & both times had to wait till I got to the States to clear immigration. Saw other people in the airport who were going to New York who cleared it in Dublin.

Just back from the States and to update...flew with Continental (C0127) on a Saturday morning...cleared immigration in Newark...only took 5 mins!! :) Compared to taking 45 mins to get through poxy Dublin Airport Security! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Morning flights up to about midday clear immigration in Dublin. I went to Orlando in january and that flight left at 1:30pm so we had to wait until we got to Orlando to do it there (and it took bloody ages!). Also the gate was in the new pier D or whatever it's called which is in a different area to where the immigration area is so that might have something to do with it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

according to aer lingus' customer service passengers on any flight leaving dublin before 4pm should clear immigration in dublin. Homeland security, who do the pre-clearance, seemingly are open until 2:30pm/3pm.

I'm moving to the states indefinitely this month, flying out at 12:50 and hoping to clear immigration in dublin, last time i flew to chicago there were hundreds waiting for immigration when we landed, luckily on that occasion we did clear immigration in dublin and walked right through o'hare to baggage claim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

Does anyone travelling for just under the 90 days ever have any trouble with them? I mean questions wise, its always kinda intimidating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

shortys94 wrote: »
    Does anyone travelling for just under the 90 days ever have any trouble with them? I mean questions wise, its always kinda intimidating.

You should bring evidence to show that you have enough funds for the time you are planning to stay and it would be good if you had something to come back to (e.g. starting a postgrad). You won't necessarily be asked for them but good to have if you get singled out.

Also, with the current volcano situation I'd be wary about booking for very close to 90 days.

I wonder what would happend in that case, since you cant do anything about it

Im just going over for a long vacation for 3 months, to see my my girlfriend, Im just intimidated by emmigration, i mean im gonna be going close to 90 days, last summer i went with a return ticket coming back in july but changed the date while i was over there and stayed for 84 days. Iv been there last christmas too for 3 weeks. But im just wondering if i book it for the eighty whatever days will i be subject to alot of questions, i just get intimidated by them, going over to see girlfriend and am staying at families house so dont need to bring much money at all.

Or would i be better just booking it for a month and changing it over there? i know it sounds stupid but i just worry and the summer is the longest time i get to spend with her since i have college. Also does anyone know if continental allow you to change the date of your return flight? I know you incur a charge, as i did it with aer lingus last summer, but can you do it with continental, move the date by however much u want?

Thanks, lol i just worry

Going to Miami for 10 days in a month.

Flight is early (about 7am) on a Sunday morning to Heathrow (where I'll be for an about two hours) before I depart for Miami - any idea of whether immigation will be in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭davepatr07

basquille wrote: »
    Is this a new development? I went to Orlando in Summer 2008 and went through immigration in Dublin at 8am.

I'm going to Dublin --> London --> Miami in June. I assumed immigration would be done in London.. correct me if I'm wrong though?

US Immigration is not done in London. Shannon and Dublin are the only 2 European airports that have such facilities and when T2 in DUB opens you will be able to clear both Immigration and Customs. (An advantage flying through Ireland to the States) Though some airlines are opting out of this, probably because of the charges.

A few airlines are interested in using the U.S Immigration facilities at DUB's T2. E.g Air India which uses Frankfurt as a stop off to the States, Frankfurt doesn't have the facilities so they are thinking about using Dub instead. BA from London City to JFK stop's off in Shannon westbound only to refuel and use the U.S Immigration facilities there.

Cheers Dave.. I'm hoping it'll be done in Dublin (as opposed to Miami anyways).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Shorty, if you just say you're going for summer holidays to see some friends you should be fine, I'd really consider not mentioning your girlfriend though, that doesn't look too good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

basquille wrote: »
    Cheers Dave.. I'm hoping it'll be done in Dublin (as opposed to Miami anyways).

Unfortunately only non-stop flights to the USA can pre-clear in Dublin/Shannon- if its London you transit through it'll be Miami you clear.

• Advertisement

lil_lisa wrote: »
    Shorty, if you just say you're going for summer holidays to see some friends you should be fine, I'd really consider not mentioning your girlfriend though, that doesn't look too good.

You think so? I was thinking that too but thought it might be better to say, I dunno

Also, regarding continental question, can you change the return date to whenevr you want?

Advertisement