Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early mara 2010 and maybe someday even a sub 1:25 half and sub 40 10k.

Options
  • 27-09-2009 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭

So finally decided to jump in and start up a log.
    Always have been doing something to keep fit and started running on and off for too long and this year on a whim signed up for the frank duffy and have fell in love with running ever since.

Times so far this year:
    10mile: 69:44
    half:1:29:03

Looking at an early mara next year but after yesterdays half i am really re thinking Dublin. Who knows. Ill give it a mull for the next week.

Planned races for the rest of the year:
    Gauntlet half in november
    Waterford half in december.
    *maybe dcm*

So .... that's about it for now. Legs are sore from yesterday.
    *woddles off to get pesto pasta*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

(Sean Connery accent) welcome to the logshh (rock).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Welcome to the logs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Wanted(well ... kinda) to do a nice easy recovery jog today but quads and calves are really tight and sore from yesterday. It probably did not help that i was walking all around Dublin untill 5 yesterday though! So instead i opted to chillax and watch ER season 4 allll day. Helped myself to some sticky toffee pudding from a friend and ate lotsa of marks and spencers chocolate. We really need to get a marks and spencers in Limerick :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Good luck with the training UL

Was up fine and early this morning and did a 7.15am spin class.

Going to out this evening before work and do 8miles ... hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Wilbury

UL Student, Are you ready for Dublin.....? You have had two whole days to think about it! (that was some half mara. by the way)

Cheers Wilbury.

Regards the half - i was just as shocked as you are. I knew in good conditions i could go for sub 1:35. On the day for the first 2 miles thought i was going slowish as it was fairly congested and it was like playing running twister but when i looked at the polar at 3 miles it was 20:45 so kept on plugging at that pace as i was very comfortable. 5 miles was 34:39, and then i got to ten miles saw 108ish on the polar and said **** it i have to get sub 90. After mile 12 i just went for it. Id say i ran pretty close to lactate for that mile!!! Was delighted. Was my first half so didn't know what to expect as such but now i think have a better indication of how i stand.

Re the marathon i will wait till this weekend. If i get an 18miles in the bag Dublin will be all go. I need to do this 18miles mentally for myself. I think at this stage though that i am in. Iv trained hard the past few months and have a good base to work from as it is. I was training damn hard long before marathon training and i think my base of fitness before mara training deffo stood to me.

8.16miles in just over 59 min. Went out and went at a pretty good speed. Felt full of beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

great idea to start a log, well done!

If your looking for a half marathon plan, then this one is pretty good:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244-258-12006-0,00.html

Have to nip out home as i have some mail. I love gettin mail but it's usually my credit card bill or a bank statement so here's hoping i have nice mail!

Il run out and back. 4.5miles both ways. 9 miles total. I think im in the mood for a relaxed session today so will probably run around 7:30 - 45 ish min miles but will see once i get the legs going

• Advertisement

yesterdays 9 miles is actually more like 8.5 ... oh well.

Anyway gym tonight. Ill do some spin, piltates and core work. Have 18miler this weekend, might push to 20. See how things go. Plan is to do it on sunday. Trying to figuire out a route away from the limerick womens mini mini marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

ULstudent wrote: »
    yesterdays 9 miles is actually more like 8.5 ... oh well.

Anyway gym tonight. Ill do some spin, piltates and core work. Have 18miler this weekend, might push to 20. See how things go. Plan is to do it on sunday. Trying to figuire out a route away from the limerick womens mini mini marathon.

I do that all the time. Go out to do 18 get to 18 do 1 morw and stay going as long as i can up to a max 22. Best of luck. Closing date is soon. Great half.
    Depends how many long ones you have done to date. With a sub 1.30 half i wouldnt run it if i hadnt the long ones done. Do a good first one and dont have regrets.

21 miles this weekend between short run and todays lsr. finished strong. verry happy and confident. looking foward to the 26th. taper time. 40 something miles this week down and cross training too.

Was supposed to meet other boardsie at 8.30am this morning. alarm went off at 8 and i told myself 2 more min. well i fell back off and woke up round 9ish i think. so - really sorry again schnellimbiss. Hopefully wwe get out on a run soon.

Roll on the 26th. now to book accomadation. ugh

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Wilbury

Great stuff U.L. Good luck with the taper!

Monday: Hour spin and pilates and core

Plan today is to go out for over an hour so hope to get a good 8 miles in.

8.2 miles in 59:40.
    7:12 min/miles

Threw a few strides in.
    Was nice run. Raining out and that kept me nice and cool.

Felt some weird feeling thingy in my foot yesterday so said id push a run till today. did 30 min interval on the bike instead yesterday. Plan is to go out for 10+ miles or there abouts. Might hit the sauna after.

Got a nice big pus filled spot on my chin. Im really tempted to go pop it.

Just over 10.6 miles in 1:18:30 or so
    Avg pace 7:24 min/miles.

Nice run. Nice conditions. Legs felt heavy for last 3 miles or so but heart and mind were strong.

I'm gonna pop out on a 6 mile loop around my house in an hour and then rest up the weekend and do 15 on monday (instead of sunday).

It's cloudy, rainy but not cold out and it's crying for me to run.

Then have to go and pay fees for a weekend course starting next weekend. It cost 2600 :eek::eek:

Man i cannot believe it's practically just over 2 weeks to the marathon. Freaking out. Next two weeks will be very hard with the reduced mileage. I won't know what to do with myself at all ... i suppose i could use it as an excuse to get through college work. My FYP is calling me.

Did 5miles on the dot this morning. Felt great even though it was raining. Im feeling much more positive today. Felt really down yesterday ... so yay!

Just filled out my boards AC form and stuck it in the post ... a week later than what i intended too ... oh well:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Anyone else feeling the taper awfully daunting. This week was grand but was thinking about the next two weeks and all of a sudden it was like a light switch went off in my head and i all off a sudden felt awfully panicky and tight chested about the whole thing.

Really don't know where that came out of. Putting it down to 1st marathon pre jitters. Feeling **** today but gonna make myself feel better.

15.5 miles down this weekend.

39 or so miles this week i think.

Dreading the next 2 weeks already :(

10 miles today.

Ill do 8 on the weekend.

Cross trained Monday as usual with spin/ct

5.5 miles. feel draineeeeeedddddddddddddd.

At the mo i am a nervous excited type of thing foe Dublin but come next week i will be the complete opposite. I just know it!

Did this weekends 8 miler today as im going to be pretty busy. Starting a part time course this weekend. Work work, busy busy, chop chop.

This day next week ...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

ULstudent wrote: »
    This day next week ...:eek:

how you feeling now? I'm so excited, really looking forward to it, if my training had gone to plan I would be gunning for sub 4 or even 3:45 but now I just want to finish, maybe a respectable sub 4:30, in a way the injury was a good thing that way.

Do u have a goal time, I'm gonna head off with the sub 4 pacer group anyway

Hey OI - great new that you are back in.

Don't know what im feeling. Nervous and excited. When im getting the train up on Saturday and collect my race no ill prob start to **** myself ... we shall see!

Decided not to set myself a time. Macmillan has me down for something like 3:11ish or something like that based on the half. I think he is a crazy bastard. I am going to head out with the 3:30 pacers and see how things go and come mile 22/3 ill see if i have it in the bag to move on or to stay with the pacers

6 miles today. nice and handy. ill do 2 on saturday. Getting a tad excited today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Good luck with it in any case, don't let nerves or doubts get in the way and run to your potential.

How hard can it be ;)

Advertisement