Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early mara 2010 and maybe someday even a sub 1:25 half and sub 40 10k.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

So did 57.28km @27.68 km/ph this afternoon. Thing is is that it was very very very relaxed effort wise. Never really sweat. Kept the legs spinning over. It was a fairly flat route though and on motorway too and lovely sun and breeze. Just hotting me as been too easy though. Suppose i shouldnt be complaining.

Famous last words :pac:

Sounds like you had a good night last night then ;)

haha brill night. ready for bed for the day now though tbh. You could prob tell as the photos went along on FB how the night turned out!

This evening did 900m in the pool broken into 400m, min break, 400m, then 100m. Grand -really got rid of the hangover. Having not been able to stomach much food all day im fecking ravenous now - DINNER TIME.

WTD 23/8 - 29/8:

Running: 6.5km
    Cycling: 30km commuting, 47.47 km wed morning, 57.28km thurs
    Swimming: 400m mon, 800m tuesday (2x400m), 900m thurs
    Cross training: 30min treddie, 70min total spin on mon, 70min total on spin bike tuesday
    S&C:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Thats great you had a good night!

I really don't know how you can get up so soon and do all that exercise after a session!

I need 2-3 days recovery! And I have that factored into my Hal Higdon Plan!

6.5km route @ 4:52km pace

40min spin class

Plan to head to the pool but not feeling up for it. Il see

Out again tonight for more celebrations. Yee haw.

WTD 23/8 - 29/8:

Running:
    13km
    Cycling: 40km commuting, 47.47 km wed morning, 57.28km thurs
    Swimming: 400m mon, 800m tuesday (2x400m), 900m thurs
    Cross training: 30min treddie, 70min total spin on mon, 70min total on spin bike tuesday, 40min spin fri
    S&C:

Grads week is over ... thank god!

Going to head out on the same route as thursday because its flat and wont make my head explode.

did half hour in the pool continuous slow swimming yesterday but no idea of distance

• Advertisement

Did just over 37km today on the bike when BAM - took some hopper by a roundabout. Front tire popped, i went over, landed on my head. Got up in shock. Hand on heart if i had no helmet i don't know how i would be right now. Still a little shocked. Feel a little fuzzy in the head (although that could also be from last night!) but i think its just shock still. Thank god i had phone - rang mate and they came and collected me. They drove to bike shop - tire replaced and front wheel was grand other than a little buckled. fixed there and then though.35e. Funny thing is that not ONE car stopped to see how i was (there were quite a few). I mean if i saw anyone take a bad fall like that i would have stopped. One person who did stop was when i was waiting for my mate and girl pulled over and asked if i was alright and i told her i was been collected. She said she was a cyclist too.

Other than a bruised elbow, cut knee and bruised hip(owie) its all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Wow, good you were wearing your helmet! Glad to hear all ok. Maybe ice the hip?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

bloody hell bit of a shock but main thing is your okay. glad to hear your not too bad

Hope you're ok today UL. My dad had a bad bike fall in June the that shock feeling was worse than the injuries. Take it easy on yourself!

Cheers guys - yeah it was the shock more than anything. Couldnt eat until last night as just couldnt stomach food til then. All grand now though. Right side of neck is a little strained, right and left thigh/hip area and left shoulder are sore but nothing of concern.

Well didn't fancy getting out on the bike today so did 1hr45 min on spin bike, 200m swim after.

WTD 23/8 - 29/8:

Running:
    13km
    Cycling: 50km commuting, 47.47 km wed morning, 57.28km thurs,38 km sat
    Swimming: 400m mon, 800m tuesday (2x400m), 900m thurs, half hour continious swimming fri, 200m sun
    Cross training: 30min treddie, 70min total spin on mon, 70min total on spin bike tuesday, 40min spin fri, 1hr45 min sun
    S&C: Zero

Not bad for my grads week!

3 weeks to Clonakilty. Can't wait.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

You amaze me! Fair play to you for putting in another great session- if I had a fall from the bike I would use it as an excuse to rest for a few days! I dont know how you do it- looks like you had a great week from phots of fb:)

Just over 6k this morning @ 4:50 km pace.

Spin class this afternoon.

Im off for swimming this evening.

Gonna order a turbo this week - looking at options at the mo so any recommendations throw them my way please. Always nice to hear others experiences and recommendations for them. My own spin bike is gone kaput and considered getting a new one but figured maybe a turbo was a better option seeing as i do enough spin classes anyway.

ULstudent wrote: »
    Just over 6k this morning @ 4:50 km pace.

Spin class this afternoon.

Im off for swimming this evening.

Gonna order a turbo this week - looking at options at the mo so any recommendations throw them my way please. Always nice to hear others experiences and recommendations for them. My own spin bike is gone kaput and considered getting a new one but figured maybe a turbo was a better option seeing as i do enough spin classes anyway.

Last night did a spin class and a 500m swim after.

This morning - just over 5k untimed. I was frozen. Lovely morning but i should have put a base layer and gloves on.

Midday im off for 30min spin followed by a pilates class after and then ill hopefully hit the pool for a swim too. Ill update tonight.

Irdering a new shiny tacx sartori today. New shiny toy to play with :)

http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;navigation=1;product=4735;page=1;menu=1000,5,69;mid=18

Just ordered on of the above :)

Everything went according to plan today bar pilates - i ran around UL again today pretending to b a new student in order to take as many freebies as i could.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

i ran around UL again today pretending to b a new student in order to take as many freebies as i could.
    Think I'll be doing that at UCD quite soon :pac::p

Well i got a stinking chow mein pot noodle that can rot in the press but did get free sweeties and condoms, disposable packets of lube, a sheath, a guide to safe sex, pens, diary, bus eireann tenner discount when travelling by train to dublin and a calendar among other things. ahh to be fake student !

Pool this morning and did 700m. I am going to start timing myself. My kick is terrible. Its like my legs gradually begin to sink as i go on and im finding it hard to concentrate on the kick and breathing at the same time. ffs. very frustrating.

Spin class and core work this afternoon and spin class this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Well i got a stinking chow mein pot noodle that can rot in the press but did get free sweeties and condoms, disposable packets of lube, a sheath, a guide to safe sex, pens, diary, bus eireann tenner discount when travelling by train to dublin and a calendar among other things. ahh to be fake student !

Ah I must get me some of this fake student action in UCD next week :D

Thu: did just over 5k, 60min spin and pilates class in UL @ lunch time. Legs are in bits today. Was a huge focus on legs and the IT band and quads got some working.

Today: went to UL this morning at half 7ish. Popped on the bike in the gym for a little over 30min and watched the Limerick tri club swimming session down in the pool. Looked oh so effortless and seamless. When they finished up i headed down to the pool and got 750m done. I am well happy. Wanted to stay much longer but was starved.

The 750m was pretty much start to finish with one 10 sec stop pretty much.Im very slow but id rather get distance without having to stop first.

I did a search on here the other day as i had a few questions swimming reelated and one of the results was a log from last year by a poster called carb. I read the log. He had started swimming lessons and i could relate to everything he was saying and then one post from shotgunmcos detailed how he first started swimming in 2008 and built up to 1500m and then brought his time down by consistency. then he joined the LTC sessions and made huge improvements from there. So i have given myself and this log a goal. Between now and xmas i am going to build up the distance and put some hard work into the swimming. The end result will be that i will feel confident to join the LTC swim sessions. That's the aim. Im very optimistic and look forward to it. So, shout out to mcos because if i hadnt seen that post from him in carbs training log i would have probably faffed about and took my time etc etc. Watch this space.There's plenty of resources about so no reason why this goal is out of reach.

did a nice muscle release session on the vibroplate yesterday hitting the hamstrings, quads, IT band add and abducters, calf. Was very tight. Def helped.

This morning to get rid of the vodka induced brain fuzz i did a spin class and am soon off the do a swim. Going to do as much as i can, see what happens.

Checked my order on the turbo from deutsche post dhl and was scanned at the esport hub so i presume it will be off out monday and here tue/wed.

• Advertisement

good luck with the goals for swimming. Its such a lovely sport

Myself and 2 friends mounted up the bikes and drove out here today. just over 1.2 miles of ascent and very steep. Parked bikes at the top. Ran from the bottom to the top - cycled down - cycled back up - cycled down again and then ran back up and down again.

The runs were hard - we did the all out strategy for running up and cycling up. the second run was harder. Good adrenaline session though and the view on the way up was good. Fast session but intense.

When cooling down we got chatting to a guy doing a cycle around ireland - he was doing 100miles a day and on day 7.

Weather was rough today though - cold and wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

^ Ah yes the golf ball route, probably the steepest and most dangerous cycle around Limerick. Did you ever cycle all the way to the top? Unbelievable speed on the descents, hit 40mph one day and nearly killed myself when a car was parked around the bend beside the entrance to cratloe woods. i can't imagine running up it. I must hit the trinity freshers week in 2 weeks, its getting harder and harder to convince them i'm a fresher at this stage, culchie accent usually does the trick though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

its getting harder and harder to convince them i'm a fresher at this stage, culchie accent usually does the trick though :pac:
    That's when you move onto "I'm a mature student, how dare you question me!" :pac::p

Need to edit - not woodcock hill but corcksrew hill between ballyvaughan and lisdonvarna. Dunno why i put up woodcock hill. Im only a stones throw from woodcock hill but have never even cycled up it

I googled woodcock hill last night and got the mapmyrun link and posted it here. This road was just all acent for the 1.2miles up and windy windy windy. People by the top looking at the scenery were looking at us cycling down and then looking at us even weirder when we passed them again running up!

6th sept already. really? WTF?

3.22 miles this morning @ 8.22 min/mile. Recovery run to loosen out the legs.

PM - spin class and massaged out the hamstrings, calfs, add and abducters and quads on the vibroplate for a minute each.

Need new running shoes asap. thinking of trying nike lunarglides since im hearing that the kayano 16s are just not the same as the 15 and 14.

DOMS from yesterdays efforts have kicked in and the body feels tired now. Off to ublin this weekend as plan to do introductory kettleball class in RAW gym.

Woke up tuesday morning and seriously wanted to sleep in but got up, did 30min on spin bike with some sprints thrown in and 500m afterwards

Did slightly over 4 miles evening around 8min miles i think. My quads were in bits and i SHOULD have had a rest day but powered on through anyway and so ...

Woke up today, got out of bed and was walking like a granny. Got a swim of 500m before teaching a class at lunch time. It was a real struggle because my legs were so dead and heavy i found that i couldn't get a good kick to bi lateral breath movement. That evening (againt my better judgment did a spin class followed by an hour of freestyle fitness yoga. Man - some seriously hard poses but feel way looser now and legs feel a lot better.

Iv got a cold sore too which is prob a sign that im slightly worn out a little. tired during the day sometimes too.

my turbo arrived when nobody was in the house so now have to re arrange delivery with DHL :mad:

My days are rolling into one!
    Have not been sleeping too much since the fall on the bike as both hip bones are bruised and sore so whenever i turn to either side at night it wakes me up. i think training and been on the move all day along with lack of sleep caught up with me this week. i found myself nodding during the day. Last night though got 12 solid hours and feel much better.

thu - totaled 1k in the pool (500m AM, 500 PM), spin for 30min, taught spin class (i was off the bike for it), nice 5k handy later that night

fri - 30k handy on the bike to loosen legs, spin class that night and some strength and conditioning work (squats, press and deads), some core work.

Sat - Just under 60k on the bike. 2 sessions. 1st session was 20.15k - near 6mile bridge there are kilometre markings on the road so used them as a guide. we warmed up for a couple kilometres, did 10min hard out effort, 5min recovery followed by 10min hard, another 5min easy followed by some easy turnover on the bike.

then after tea, buttered crumpets and watching world championships in budapest on the TV i cycled a just over 39k route back to my house @ 28.2 k p/hr

In less complainey and good news i gots me a new shiny pair of nike lunarglides :D:p there was 25% off all footwear in lifestlye so got them for 75e. My turbo arrived friday afternoon - tacx sartori. I can't put it together. Im retatrded like that so i anyone fancies coming to Limerick for me to assemble it feel free :D:D

Clonakilty duathlon next sunday. Looking forward to that. It will be fast but fierce effort wise. Maybe Donadea forest duathlon the weekend after.

You realise you do more exercise in a day than most people get done in a week! :D You are doing so much exercise I'm not surprised you needed the 12 hours sleep! Your body certainly let you know :)

You'll well able for the duathalon next week. Enjoy.

Hope the hip bones improve soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

My turbo arrived friday afternoon - tacx sartori. I can't put it together. Im retatrded like that so i anyone fancies coming to Limerick for me to assemble it feel free :D:D

It has the worse set of instructions i ve ever seen. Took me hours to get mine together. bloody pain in the ass i dont envy you

Advertisement