Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early mara 2010 and maybe someday even a sub 1:25 half and sub 40 10k.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

dolliemix wrote: »
    You realise you do more exercise in a day than most people get done in a week! :D You are doing so much exercise I'm not surprised you needed the 12 hours sleep! Your body certainly let you know :)

You'll well able for the duathalon next week. Enjoy.

Hope the hip bones improve soon

Yeah - you're spot on there. I have so much free tome on my hands and now working freelnace i still have as much free time on my hands :rolleyes: Counter productive too i suppose when it comes to fitness gains. Im looking into a plan thatl incorporate 2 swims p.w, mix of turbo/cycling when its nice out, running and STRENGTH AND FELXABILITY - i mean it. i need to start a structered strength programme and keep up the fitness yoga.

Kinda do less, make more gains is where i want to go.
    kennyb3 wrote: »
    It has the worse set of instructions i ve ever seen. Took me hours to get mine together. bloody pain in the ass i dont envy you

haha i know. i opened the box and took it out and was like ahh this looks easy - the turbo, flywheel, wheel mount thingy and 2 little bags of bits and bobs. Then i looked at the diagrams and died a little inside. Still cant motivate myself to get up and do it as i know itl take hours. How do you find it as a turbo. Couldnt believe how much cheaper they were on bike24 compared to all the other sites.

Other news - was supposed to be going to dublin today to do a kettlebell workshop but it sold out and im booked in to the course in October now. Up to Dublin this Friday and am thinking of going to a class in the Wild geese matial arts place to do a class. Also cant wait as ill be collecting a garmin 405 of the wonderful RQ.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

You should join us for the post-race drinks in Ryans as well if you're going to be here on Saturday.

You should join us for the post-race drinks in Ryans as well if you're going to be here on Saturday.

If i hadn't the duathlon on Sunday i prob would have stayed til sunday in my friends in clonskeagh. Il prob get the last train back to Limerick on friday. Get up there nice and early.

Just back from a 2 hour spin. Nice and flat and took it handy.

56.64 km in total @ 28.16 km/ph inc. a few traffic stops.

Nice handy 4.3 miler this morning. The HR was in the 130's.

4.3 @ 8:18 min/mile

Get a spin and swim in today too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

ULstudent wrote: »
    . How do you find it as a turbo.

You dont want to know! personally i find it mind numbing but i never really got into it last year. I ll have to come up with something to make it more bareable.

4.3 miles this AM, 1hr spin PM followed by stretch and massage of lower body. 11k commute on the bike to and from gym.

WTD 13/9 - 19/9 so far:

Running:
    4.3 miles mon
    Cycling: 11k commute monday
    Swimming:
    Cross training:
    1hr spin class monday
    S&C & Flexability: Lower body stretch and massage

Plan tomorrow is to get swim, pilates and a spin ir run in. Commuting on the bike. wed get a spin in, a run and yoga, see thursday, fri up to dublin and maybe do kettlebells class up there, sat nothing and sunday duathlon.

Got a 4.6mile run in this morning @ 8: 25 mion/mile. Nice recovery type run. .

Swim 750m this after noon with 3 x 50m trying to see technique wise what felt most comfartable and then 5 x100m. I should start timing these.

45min spin class later this evening.

WTD 13/9 - 19/9 so far:

Running:
    4.3 miles mon, 4.6 miles tue
    Cycling: 11k commute monday
    Swimming: 750m tue
    Cross training: 1hr spin class monday, 45min spin tuesday
    S&C & Flexability: Lower body stretch and massage

A tad over 42km on the bike this morning (loop out to shannon, just before you hop on motorway to ennis, and back). 27.52 km p/h pace. Headwind THE WHOLE WAY OUT. Felt like i was going backwards at times. Once i got to the halfway mark and turned around i head the wind blowing me home the rest of the way :D

Taught a class this afternoon. Heading to yoga this evening and swim too.

WTD 13/9 - 19/9 so far:

Running:
    Cycling: 11k commute monday, 42km wed
    Swimming: 750m tue, pool wed
    Cross training: 1hr spin class monday, 45min spin tuesday, 40min wed
    S&C & Flexability: Lower body stretch and massage, yoga wed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Wednesday is unbelievable!!

Well done you for sticking to such an incredible plan! :)

• Advertisement

dolliemix wrote: »
    Wednesday is unbelievable!!

Well done you for sticking to such an incredible plan! :)

That's the advantage of freelance work - so much free time!:D

Well thursday - feeling tired, not all with it. Let my legs tick over on the spin bike for an hour keeping HR low range 70%ish. Felt better after.

Taught a class (off the bike) that evening.

Then today - off to Dublin. Said to myself id head to the pool and do 1k and then rest up until the race on Sunday. Well got to the pool, got in. Did 100m, legs were sinking and very heavy in the pool, i just couldn't/ Don't know what happened. Got out of the pool, went to the steam room, showered and left.

It was like something just hit me in the face and stole my energy. Feeling ok now but tired, like i haven't slept enough but iv been catching up on lost sleep since the weekend, bagging a solid nights rest each night.

Looking back thou, i have not taken an actual day off training in a good while. No wonder im fecked. Im always doing something everyday. So just gonna relax and eat til the race on sunday and i think il take a few days off next week just to re energize and re focus and to remember that i am not a slave to anything and if my body says no - it's for a reason and it's ok to listen to my body.

Sorry about the life story there!!

Well, roll on clonakilty duathlon on sunday. My new lunarglides (week old) are cutting the heels off me. Im racing in them on sunday - any tips other than plasters than can sort this fcuking problem out?

WTD 13/9 - 19/9 so far:

Running:
    Cycling: 42km wed, 22k speedy commuting during the week
    Swimming: 750m tue, pool wed (500m)
    Cross training: 1hr spin class monday, 45min spin tuesday, 40min wed, 1 hr thurs
    S&C & Flexability: Lower body stretch and massage, yoga wed, pilates thurs

Well, roll on clonakilty duathlon on sunday. My new lunarglides (week old) are cutting the heels off me. Im racing in them on sunday - any tips other than plasters than can sort this fcuking problem out?

Best of luck on sunday and enjoy. maybe wear different runners not woth the risk

This morning, did 30min easy turnover on the bike to keep the legs fresh for tomorrow and did 20min stretching after, followed by a few sun salutations and lower body massage on vibro.

got the compeed blister plasters so looks like the lunarglides are a go for tomorrow. got my snot coloured garmin 405 (thanks RQ) all charged and ready and the bike and stuff ready. 6.30am leave in the am. ugh. should be off to bed i suppose.

I was nervous going into today for a number of reasons. Mainly as it was my 1st race since Dublin marathon last year and the last few months injured kept playing through my mind. I had to keep telling myself to push those thoughts away and go for it.

Was collected at 6.35am this morning by a mate. got my porridge and banana and peanut butter into me, took off the front wheel off the bike and got it in the car and met 2 others en route. Things went very awry on the way down. Firstly in cork we took a wrong turn and had to back track and with 25 or so min to race registration close (9.45am) we were 50km from Clonakilty. We kinda were freaking out and then when we reached Bandon with registration closing time we all had knew that we were not going to make it and instead would use the day to go train somewhere. I changed in the car as a precaution anyway!! We did reach Clonakilty at 9.58am, where we heard on a megaphone '2min to registation close' and i flipped out of that car and ran to register like no tomorrow. On the way down to cork when we all thought we wouldn't make it i was, in some way, relieved as i didn't think i could do it. the past year injury wise had stole my race confidence. But when i got there, seeing everybody else, i soon forgot and the adrenalin was flowing as i knew it was going to be fast and fierce.

Registered, got a usual goody bag with recovery drink, lucozade, nutri grain, powerbar etc.

Got the bike and gear into transtion and went for the race brief at 10.10. 3km loop start that goes out and back into transition. 20km bike thats is THE HILIEST I HAVE EVER RIDDEN! No joke. First 5km were flat enout, next 10 were a little mad. One hill in particular had me and the others around me in the lowest set of gears and my gears were still slipping. One or two had to get off and walk up as the bikes were going back. Madness.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3881090 - here's the link to the bike on gmaps. You can go and turn on elevation. It was the gradient of the thing that was the killer.

It was a loop bike ride back to transition where we did the 3km run like the first time.

Thoughts - i forgot to start my garmin until 1.5km into the first run so i cant go by that at all. I did see 6:12 m/m on the first loop and 6:07 m/m on the second lap of the run. Very happy with this seeing as my running has been the most mininal in months now. Good to know i havent lost the fitness from it in a race situation.

Fist run: went for it and really felt it by the time i got to transition. My 3 friends were in front of me on the first 3km but i caught up to one at transition and ploughed on the helmet and mounted at the mount area and went for it. The friend i passed here i didn't see till the end. I flew for the first few Km, passing out another friend who i would see again at the end. we got to the hills - i found out im a crap climber. I was overtaking on the flats but was been overtaken on the hills. For the next 8 or so km, it was a game of cat and mouse between 3 of us really. I would overtake and drive on on the flats only to be overtaken again on the hills. The last 6-7km were really scenic and flat - i bombed for it. I overtook a good few here. This lady and guy overtook me at one stage and i couldnt hold onto them for life. Back to transition off the bike and wobbled to get the bike on the rack ,swigged water and waddled out of transition. It took a good 3 min before i got a solid running rythem again. I loved the last 3 km as i was overtaking and was not once overtaken by anybody. got me really going. I overtook the women and guy who left me for dust on the bike and they looked like they were suffering. On the loop back in i saw my other friend (who went on to finih 14th/160) and it gave me an extra boost.

Got back in and crossed the line in 1:05:xx for 20th place / 160. Well chuffed.

thoughts? Great race by Clonakilty tri club - huge thanks to you guys, ye were extremly welcoming to 'team screaming nipples' and the course was excellently run and marshalled. thank you.

Performance - happy with the run, with a few months solid training i can see mytime improving. I keep second guessing myself on the bike and keep shifting gears and need to work on hills.

Loved it. Was elated after. 1st race back.

I promised RQ i would do the simon 5 miler 9th oct (which fits nicely with my kettlebell workshop the following day also in Dublin). Jingle bells 5k and the sea to summit adventure race in november. So those look like their next

4.53 miles today to loosen the legs after sundays race. First chance i properly used RQs snot green colored garmin.

7:50
    7:22
    7:16
    7:32 and
    last .53 in 3:58

took it handy after yesterdays duathlon, legs a bit heavy but not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

4.53 miles today to loosen the legs after sundays race. First chance i properly used RQs snot green colored garmin.

7:50
    7:22
    7:16
    7:32 and
    last .53 in 3:58

took it handy after yesterdays duathlon, legs a bit heavy but not too bad.

Thats a fast run the day after a race, if its handy it means you're back to your old self. I bet you were looking at the garmin the whole way, get used to it. You'll probably beat me in the simon race :rolleyes:, so much for consistent mileage all year. Any thoughts on whether you're doing Barca next March?

Try cycling from clonlara to sixmilebridge, that may even be hillier than the clonankilty one.

I promised RQ i would do the simon 5 miler 9th oct (which fits nicely with my kettlebell workshop the following day also in Dublin). Jingle bells 5k and the sea to summit adventure race in november. So those look like their next

and now I won't be running it, will be out there with William though to cheer yee on.

Any thoughts on whether you're doing Barca next March?

Try cycling from clonlara to sixmilebridge, that may even be hillier than the clonankilty one.

I want to do Barca but don't even want to register or book anything until i have a long run down. Big commitment given its abroad and if in the end i booked and ended up not doing it it would kill me to go over and watch others doing it. So we'll see yet. Guess im still in a way second guessing things running wise a bit. I know one or two more races and ill be grand out mentality wise.

Ill be seeing you at the 5 miler anyway. Im up in Dublin for the weekend so it'd be great if a few boardsies were up for a few pints after.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Ill be seeing you at the 5 miler anyway. Im up in Dublin for the weekend so it'd be great if a few boardsies were up for a few pints after.

Of course there'll be boardies drinking after that race, the only reason they run races is so they can drink afterwards, bunch of alco's the lot of them. I sit there quietly and drink water of course :pac: We might skip the 2nd pub next time, i'm sure you heard the stories, in short RQ fcked up her ankle and xebec became gay!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Of course there'll be boardies drinking after that race, the only reason they run races is so they can drink afterwards, bunch of alco's the lot of them. I sit there quietly and drink water of course :pac: We might skip the 2nd pub next time, i'm sure you heard the stories, in short RQ fcked up her ankle and xebec became gay!!! :D

I see the recruitment drive worked :pac:

• Advertisement

I was nervous going into today for a number of reasons. Mainly as it was my 1st race since Dublin marathon last year and the last few months injured kept playing through my mind. I had to keep telling myself to push those thoughts away and go for it.

Was collected at 6.35am this morning by a mate. got my porridge and banana and peanut butter into me, took off the front wheel off the bike and got it in the car and met 2 others en route. Things went very awry on the way down. Firstly in cork we took a wrong turn and had to back track and with 25 or so min to race registration close (9.45am) we were 50km from Clonakilty. We kinda were freaking out and then when we reached Bandon with registration closing time we all had knew that we were not going to make it and instead would use the day to go train somewhere. I changed in the car as a precaution anyway!! We did reach Clonakilty at 9.58am, where we heard on a megaphone '2min to registation close' and i flipped out of that car and ran to register like no tomorrow. On the way down to cork when we all thought we wouldn't make it i was, in some way, relieved as i didn't think i could do it. the past year injury wise had stole my race confidence. But when i got there, seeing everybody else, i soon forgot and the adrenalin was flowing as i knew it was going to be fast and fierce.

Registered, got a usual goody bag with recovery drink, lucozade, nutri grain, powerbar etc.

Got the bike and gear into transtion and went for the race brief at 10.10. 3km loop start that goes out and back into transition. 20km bike thats is THE HILIEST I HAVE EVER RIDDEN! No joke. First 5km were flat enout, next 10 were a little mad. One hill in particular had me and the others around me in the lowest set of gears and my gears were still slipping. One or two had to get off and walk up as the bikes were going back. Madness.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3881090 - here's the link to the bike on gmaps. You can go and turn on elevation. It was the gradient of the thing that was the killer.

It was a loop bike ride back to transition where we did the 3km run like the first time.

Thoughts - i forgot to start my garmin until 1.5km into the first run so i cant go by that at all. I did see 6:12 m/m on the first loop and 6:07 m/m on the second lap of the run. Very happy with this seeing as my running has been the most mininal in months now. Good to know i havent lost the fitness from it in a race situation.

Fist run: went for it and really felt it by the time i got to transition. My 3 friends were in front of me on the first 3km but i caught up to one at transition and ploughed on the helmet and mounted at the mount area and went for it. The friend i passed here i didn't see till the end. I flew for the first few Km, passing out another friend who i would see again at the end. we got to the hills - i found out im a crap climber. I was overtaking on the flats but was been overtaken on the hills. For the next 8 or so km, it was a game of cat and mouse between 3 of us really. I would overtake and drive on on the flats only to be overtaken again on the hills. The last 6-7km were really scenic and flat - i bombed for it. I overtook a good few here. This lady and guy overtook me at one stage and i couldnt hold onto them for life. Back to transition off the bike and wobbled to get the bike on the rack ,swigged water and waddled out of transition. It took a good 3 min before i got a solid running rythem again. I loved the last 3 km as i was overtaking and was not once overtaken by anybody. got me really going. I overtook the women and guy who left me for dust on the bike and they looked like they were suffering. On the loop back in i saw my other friend (who went on to finih 14th/160) and it gave me an extra boost.

Got back in and crossed the line in 1:05:xx for 20th place / 160. Well chuffed.

thoughts? Great race by Clonakilty tri club - huge thanks to you guys, ye were extremly welcoming to 'team screaming nipples' and the course was excellently run and marshalled. thank you.

Performance - happy with the run, with a few months solid training i can see mytime improving. I keep second guessing myself on the bike and keep shifting gears and need to work on hills.

Loved it. Was elated after. 1st race back.

i think this pic below resembles the pain i felt above. Wobbly legs :D I look like im crawling ... but i wasn't, promise!!
    59819_115655131825940_100001443619292_107794_7200469_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Excellent result at the Duathlon there, well done! As Brian said teh Clonlara to 6MB route is a bit hillier and maybe better prep for Irish Bike courses. Rolling hills and some poor roads ;)

Great to have such a clear photo of your first tri.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Oh Noes, I signed up for that race a few weeks ago, so Probably won't be able to resist another beers.
    Ah Well, I'll be officially tapering at that stage, so there's something to celebrate!! Maybe we can try a different pub this time?

BTW UL, where do you put all that peaneut Butter you eat :eek:

I won't be running now but will be up to watch/cheer on as I'll have nothing better to do with my time if I'm not training. We'll just have to try and be a bit quieter in ryans than last time...

By we'll I do mean I'll...

menoscemo wrote: »
    BTW UL, where do you put all that peaneut Butter you eat :eek:

I really don't know but i'm not gonna question it until

1. I turn into a peanut and/or butter
    2. I get uber fat.

today i had peanut butter in my porridge at brekkie, a banana with peanut butter on it after gym and with dinner i let almond butter melt on my omlette and finished what was left in the jar with a spoon :)

I won't be running now but will be up to watch/cheer on as I'll have nothing better to do with my time if I'm not training. We'll just have to try and be a bit quieter in ryans than last time...

By we'll I do mean I'll...

Is william gonna be there or are you just going to the park sans william. Im looking forward to bringing Jacinta up to Dublin in october for the marathon. She makes a good supply vehicle.

Back to what the log is about -

bike needs a bit of work on so did 90min on the spin bike. Fun times. Pool of sweat after was quite impressive. Legs are feeling Sundays race today a lot more than yday - should have rested but sure i never listen to myself.

Wed - sundays race didnt truly hit my legs until late tuesday and wed so i knew it wise to rest (huge step for me). Taught a class at lunchtime which acted as a recovery spin of sorts.

Iv come to realsie that short, hard sessions don't hit me until 2 days later like the duathlon or that **** hard session i did on corkscrew hill a few weeks ago but longer races like 1/2 mara, mara etc hit me the next day. Go figure.

Thurs - well, iv never done so much in 1 day - fooked now i am and have eaten a horse but needed to.

This morning - 7.6 miles very easy and relaxed. Splits as follows -

8.08, 7.40, 8.01, 7.44, 7.52, 8.00, 7.52 and the last .6miles in 4.25

total of 7.6 miles in 59.45.41

Before i went out i made a promise to myself to go at 8min/mile and when i saw myself naturally getting faster i forced myself to slow down. I am doing this as i know i need to mix up the intensities. Unlike last time when i ran all my runs at the same speed which was one reason that led to my injury. So i need to be smarter this time around. Anyway - was a lovely morning for it.

After - i was helping out in UL arena for a charity 95min fitness challenge which i taught with another instructer a 45min spin class. When it was over, there was lots of lifting 2.5 and 5kg plates back up to the fitness studio on the 3rd floor and we had to bring back up around 30spin bikes back up there as well so kept going untill around 3ish - got a free lunch though after :D.

Then i was teaching a spin class (i was wiped before hand so got a latte and added a double espresso into it!) at 6 tonight for 50min so all in all a very very active day, oh and got a 500m swim in after my class tonight too, 5x100m.

WIPED :D Gimme out the peanut butter.

Is william gonna be there or are you just going to the park sans william. Im looking forward to bringing Jacinta up to Dublin in october for the marathon. She makes a good supply vehicle.

I'm mulling this over. I can make it to a load of different points on the route if I bring him and can bring a bag with gels and stuff for a few runners. However, if I want to go supping after I don't really want to lock william up in the city centre all day/night.

• Advertisement

I say leave the bike at home then !

Advertisement