Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early mara 2010 and maybe someday even a sub 1:25 half and sub 40 10k.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I'm mulling this over. I can make it to a load of different points on the route if I bring him and can bring a bag with gels and stuff for a few runners. However, if I want to go supping after I don't really want to lock william up in the city centre all day/night.

If you are willing it would be great for you to carry something for me, maybe a bottle of gatorade. You could be at the 18 mile point below the Milltown luas stop. Then take the luas back into town for the finish- then we can all go drinking :pac:
    Alternatively you could just run it yourself :p;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

menoscemo wrote: »
    Alternatively you could just run it yourself :p;)

The distinct lack of pain over the last two days has already filled my head with stupid ideas. Don't encourage me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

90min yet again on the spin bike friday. Getting my roadie back today so plan to hit the roads for a spin tomorrow.

This morning - 8.23 beautiful, effortless miles. Best training run since iv been back. I went out and just said go for a run, don't look at the garmin (which was hard when it beeped at the mile splits) but i did it. Just went out, ran, back home and warmed down. went put and didn't push, just went at a pace that was easy to maintain without too much effort and the result was 8.23 miles in 1.02.20 as follows

7.11, 7.31, 7.30,7.45, 7.29, 7.36, 7.42, 7.41 and .23 in 1.50.

Did 30min on my spin bike at home this evening listening to a new music profile i put together to torture the people that come to my classes this week. Fun times.

Im watching the new sherlock holmes at the mo - not keeping my attention i gotta say. time to pull out my boxsets of the x files and ER again (i have all seasons of both shows, don't judge me)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Good running today, i cant belive you didnt look at the garmin, i spend half my runs looking at it, i'm sort of obsessed. Whats the goal for the Simon 5 mile, 31/32 mins or are you just gonna take it handier? I'm wimping out and doing it as a tempo, 34 mins target. The Kyber hill at the end will be torture.

• Advertisement

[QUOTE=Brianderunner;68195124 34 mins target. The Kyber hill at the end will be torture.[/QUOTE]

I might be there with ya - thinking of doing small few miles beforehand or after and take it handier during the race. Well, that's in my head at the mo - could change yet.

Yeah - it was fierce hard not looking at the garmin -i know il spend most of my runs glued to it. Was the same when i had my polar HRM - i would always be checking the %'s and changes in HR etc. I think i just like shiny things that beep. I know if i look at the garmin, chances are i will want to increase the pace more and more and more. I have an addictive personality like that!

I actually did that route in the Leg it for your Liver race back in May. The Kyber wasn't bad but climbing towards the S-Bends was horrible.

Sunday - was in Tipp and not too far from the trails in Dundrum woods but deffo felt like i was coming down with something.The plan had been to cycle down and back (45k down and back) but didnt as i felt crao and when i was down there felt crapper so dosed up on about 3gms of vitmain C and got a free dinner and mammy sympathy which all led to me feeling good today.

4.3 miles this morning sans garmin (forgot to charge - im always playing with it and so the battery dies faster. It's just so cool and snot coulered that i cannot keep my hands off it). Anyways - it was fast. It felt fast and im tucking into a nice bowl of porridge with a little melted dark chocolate and rasperrries. Peanut buuter has ran out otherise it would have been the perfect combo. Im gonna hit the pool soon as iv been ignoring it dreadfully.

Wanted to go down to do cork to cobh this sunday but not public transport wont get me there in time on sunday and well il be in dublin the weekend after for the 5miler sat and workshop sunday so il keep the old money for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

ULstudent wrote: »

This morning - 8.23 beautiful, effortless miles. Best training run since iv been back. I went out and just said go for a run, don't look at the garmin (which was hard when it beeped at the mile splits) but i did it. Just went out, ran, back home and warmed down. went put and didn't push, just went at a pace that was easy to maintain without too much effort and the result was 8.23 miles in 1.02.20 as follows

7.11, 7.31, 7.30,7.45, 7.29, 7.36, 7.42, 7.41 and .23 in 1.50.

Im not good at listening to advice but might be better at giving it - just be careful there, you didnt seem to do a warm up, one thing i really find helps the achilles is getting the blood flowing to it with 3k or so warm up. Warm down too.

Also although you might be finding it easy esp breathing wise that doesnt mean your body isnt straining itself. Seems 8miles in an hour is a lot of strain, just seems to me you d be better doing 3 - 5k gradual warm up, 5k tempo, then 3-5k warm down rather than running all at same pace.

Hope you dont mind me commenting just i see all the things i use to do and am trying to get out of in your running.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Im not good at listening to advice but might be better at giving it - just be careful there, you didnt seem to do a warm up, one thing i really find helps the achilles is getting the blood flowing to it with 3k or so warm up. Warm down too.

Also although you might be finding it easy esp breathing wise that doesnt mean your body isnt straining itself. Seems 8miles in an hour is a lot of strain, just seems to me you d be better doing 3 - 5k gradual warm up, 5k tempo, then 3-5k warm down rather than running all at same pace.

Hope you dont mind me commenting just i see all the things i use to do and am trying to get out of in your running.

I dint mind at all at all - in fact things like this are exactly what i need to hear so anytime ya see something ya think needs to be highlighted - go ahead.

Overdoing it is what got me there in the first place and im terrible at warming up - i usually just go and do it but i can't afford to not do these little things anymore. I really do need to warmp up - i always do cool down though even though its never in my log. Its usually .3 -.5 light jog and walk and then stretch.

Cheers :cool:

• Advertisement

Today was an early spin class and yoga later on. I always feel great after freestyle yoga and the instructor is top notch.

tomorrow ill take it easy - teaching at lunchtime and gonna do freestyle yoga again tomorrow evening

thurs, plan is a run with Brainderunner and il be teaching that evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

I'm loving the yoga at the moment too.

What exactly is freestyle yoga?

Cheers for your encouraging posts as always!

dolliemix wrote: »
    I'm loving the yoga at the moment too.

What exactly is freestyle yoga?

Cheers for your encouraging posts as always!

hey Dollie

iv never done a regular yoga class but from my understanding freestyle yoga incorporates strength, yoga postures and flexibility. it relates to yoga in the fact that breathing is focused on throughout the exercises but there's no chanting or philosophy with it.

You generally spend 10 or so min warming up throughout the 10-14 posture sun salutation starting slow and then building up the speed and making it flow to your natural breathing speed and until you are warm then lots of other moves. Very stretching/flexibility and challenging but i love it -

didn't do an yoga this evening - couldnt have been bothered going all they way to UL from home. Did 30min on the stationary bike miday and thought a spin class after. Brianderunner attended. Hoped he enjoyed!
    Did 1k in the pool after and its getting harder but i was extatic for managing after having backed off on the swimming for a couple weeks.

Got a call this evening from a gym in templebar for an interview on Monday - wish me luck please. Twice iv gotten the 'no sorry' so third time lucky?

didn't do an yoga this evening - couldnt have been bothered going all they way to UL from home. Did 30min on the stationary bike miday and thought a spin class after. Brianderunner attended. Hoped he enjoyed!
    Did 1k in the pool after and its getting harder but i was extatic for managing after having backed off on the swimming for a couple weeks.

Got a call this evening from a gym in templebar for an interview on Monday - wish me luck please. Twice iv gotten the 'no sorry' so third time lucky?

Legs are quite sore tonight, will be worse tomorrow i'll bet.

Is that gym crunch fitness in temple bar? very swanky place.

yeah - that's the gym.

Wouldn't you know, no sooner after going on about not working that id get a call for an interview.

Yeah - wait until tomorrow morning and the legs might be a fair bit wobblier! Just think of the scene in Run Fatboy Run where Simon Peg falls down the stairs!!!

yeah - that's the gym.

Wouldn't you know, no sooner after going on about not working that id get a call for an interview.

Yeah - wait until tomorrow morning and the legs might be a fair bit wobblier! Just think of the scene in Run Fatboy Run where Simon Peg falls down the stairs!!!

Thats near my flat in Dublin, you can call up for some jeremy kyle on your lunchbreaks!!

You must have a good chance of the job based on what i saw today, you really knew what you were doing and sounded like you were doing it for years.

Tomorrows DOMS couldnt possibly be worse than post marathon stiffness. New activities generally turn me into a cripple though.

Batards. I sent a million CV's to crunch back in the day and never got a response. :P Good luck, if you get it we definitely have to go for that run you've been promising me for months and a hot chocolate. :D

il buy you a box of tiffins !!!!!

You've been promising me a tiffin for about 18 months now, still it's yet to materialise. :(

That gym is at my bus stop home from town too, so coming in to wreck your head when I miss my bus, because you will get the job!

• Advertisement

Today - 7.45miles with brianderunner. Nice handy pace but still failed to avoid the school kids at the end. 59.07 with splits:

8.00, 7.51, 7.54, 7.58, 8.02, 7.59, 7.55 and last .45 in 3.24.

It was lucky i left brianderunner when i did as had to make a dash for the toilet and just made it.

Had a class tonight at 6 and managed to get over 500m in the pool done beforehand. 100m x 3, 120m x2. It's not getting easier. After my class, a friend who was at it and is doing the ladies mini marathon asked me to go out with her for 2 miles so we left JJB and went a mile out and then back - she says shes really slow but looked good in the 8's min/miles. 2 miles - 8.23 and 7.56 pace. She was grand.

You've been promising me a tiffin for about 18 months now, still it's yet to materialise. :(

That gym is at my bus stop home from town too, so coming in to wreck your head when I miss my bus, because you will get the job!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Sure Brian lives nearby - im sure you could in to his if he's around for some jeremy kyle. If i get the job ill ****ing buy you a box of tiffins - thats 24 bars. can you handle that?

Today did 1k in the pool today - pure effort to stay in there. Get easier already. Also im finding that breathing on every second stroke rather than bi laterally much easier. I need to get out of this bad habit!

30 min on the spin bike later. Polar tells me avg HR 75% but felt harder. Must pick up HR strap for garmin. Hadnt enough fuel in the tank from breakfast. Now, where are me carbs?

Gonna swim and cycle over the weekend and monday morning before i head to dublin for interview im gonna go out for a longish run. keep it slow in the 8's and try and do my longest run since returning from injury

Gonna swim and cycle over the weekend and monday morning before i head to dublin for interview im gonna go out for a longish run. keep it slow in the 8's and try and do my longest run since returning from injury

I'm doing 20 on tuesday in UL if you wanna do some of it. Best to keep yourself fresh before an interview i would think.

I'm doing 20 on tuesday in UL if you wanna do some of it. Best to keep yourself fresh before an interview i would think.

Looks like i have to head down to tipp town for a few hours tuesday so that plan is down the toilet for me. If the weathers nice il cycle down and back.

Funny enough, id feel a lot more fresher and prepared for the interview with a run or something done that morning than nothing done. It'd help me run out the nerves/mind playing stuff and things like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Good luck with interview!

And don't forget to put yoga in your plan for next week :)

Having not done any proper strength and conditionning work in a bit - i did yesterday. 3x5 box umps, jerk lunges, calf raises, clean deads, rows, military press. did 45min on the bike after - nothing too serious.

The result today was pain.

Got up this morning and went out and did 7.5. The mixture between pain seeping from every oriface of my body as well as the hunger made this a horrible run but i trudged through for the bones of an hour anyway. DOMS in my inner thighs, quads, hamstrings, upper back, and the chest and around the armpits and shoulders. Oh how fun.

7.5 miles - 8.14, 7.48, 7.42, 7.53, 7.45, 7.48, 7.43 and last .5miles in 4.10.

Total time 59.06

Il head to the pool later on this evening for a few hundred meters and pop in the sauna until this weeping pain seeps out and ****s off.

To add to today - did 1080m in the pool. 240m x 4 sets with about 10seconds break between each set and 120m x 1. Forced myself to breathe bi laterally for the all of them and it was grand. Much easier than the other swims this week.

Was up at 6.30am this morning - out for just over 7 miles (garmin died after 5 miles as i forgot to charge but mapmyrun says 7.15)

A tempo run of sorts: 9.00, 8.00, 7.50, 7.40, 7.30 - then garmin went dead but last 2 miles were fast.

10am train to Dublin. Interview at 1.30. Went horrifically. Was more like a structred leaving cert exam. Not in good humour and have to wait til 9 to go home as i pre booked online and i thought i booked the 7 train back but oh no - i booked the ****ing 9 train. FML. I think i will walk and explore all of dublin with my big moody head.

• Advertisement

Should have text me I'd have met up with ya! I'm home now though so feck that. :pac:

Crunch do seem a little OTT though.

Advertisement