Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early mara 2010 and maybe someday even a sub 1:25 half and sub 40 10k.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Run at the gym? Compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

*shudder*

Dreadmill ... or more like deathmill. Don't mind using it to substitute a hill workout or if i am doing some pyramid work but other than that i loathe it.

Actually i think i fancy a bit of cross trainer today for some reason. But first i will watch more episodes of ER. I am up to season 13. Go me.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

ULstudent wrote: »
    But first i will watch more episodes of ER. I am up to season 13. Go me.
    Get on the dreadmill deathmill while watching more ER? :pac:

*shudder*

Dreadmill ... or more like deathmill. Don't mind using it to substitute a hill workout or if i am doing some pyramid work but other than that i loathe it.

Actually i think i fancy a bit of cross trainer today for some reason. But first i will watch more episodes of ER. I am up to season 13. Go me.

Yeah not a fan of the treadmill myself and only ever use it and the cross trainer for doing pyramids or fast intervals. 5 minutes on CV equipment feels like 4 hours to me.

Okay so i did 6.3 miles tonight. Didn't time it but by the clock on the church by were i live it was in the 40's.

Nice run. Cold at first but i am by far enjoying the coolness rather than it been too hot. Nearly got egged ... twice. Thought Halloween ended last night:confused:

Next two weeks i think i will take it easy on the mileage and use the time to take advantage of cycling, gym, pool more. Ill do shorter runs as although the legs are grand again i know that they are still healing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Hey UL have a look at this link http://www.hillrunner.com/training/tmillchart.php
    at least you don't feel like your cheating :D
    I normally watch Ultimate fighter, house and heroes while on the treadmill, ER come on :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭bourne99

Granted I haven't been on a treadmill in ages, but I used to switch off the tv and stick it at a pace that I had no right to do, somewhere in the 15-20 km/h range - and then hang on! Even when I could run 18 mins 5k outside, I found it almost impossible to go sub-20 on the treadmill with the heat in the gym and no air. When I did though, it felt like a different kind of fitness was being developed to my normal running, so it was still oddly satisfying. I was in crunch UCD and the amount of looks of disgust I received from the little girls was astonishing as their treadmills are designed for walking whilst reading Hello, evidently... 'Ugh, that guy is sweating..'

bourne99 wrote: »
    evidently... 'Ugh, that guy is sweating..'

Reminds me of the time i first started getting used to the gym in 1st year of college. I was running away on the treadmill sweating and this guy and girl get on the ones next to me chatting away while walking. I had my ipod on so they must have thought i couldn't hear them and the guy made a comment about how disgusting it was to see people sweating in the gym while giving me the evils!! :confused::confused:

So planned today to go to the gym this morning. Didn't happen. Said i'd go at midday. Opted for oatcakes and coffee instead. Now i want to go run. I'm thinking ill go for 8 miles at two. Down the riverbank and back.

Ha I get weird looks myself, especially on the treadmill when I'm pounding away at about 14kph and the whole treadmill is shaking. :pac:
    I do literally be dripping and everyone else is just sauntering away. Why pay a gym membership if you're not actually going to do anything? :confused:

7.94 miles in the rain.

Felt drained all the way through after the first mile. Feel good now that's done.

• Advertisement

Worked 6-9 tonight.

After went to gym and ran yet again. 3miles treadmill uphill graudually and then some lower body weight work, squats, lunges, step ups and finished with heat sequence.

Just had a loverllly omlette there.nomnomnom

oh ... and also filled out the lottery application form for NYC ... ya never know:D:D(as if!)

Spin and core work first thing this morning.

I hate college.

Oh and stupid exam timetable will not allow me to do the waterford half on sat 12th dec. Have a histiography exam that morning. **** SAKE!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Oh and stupid exam timetable will not allow me to do the waterford half on sat 12th dec. Have a histiography exam that morning. **** SAKE!
    Stupid exam timetable won't let me do the Aware 10k that day either... I feel your pain!

Plan is 8-10miles afternoon and freestyle yoga this evening.

No college today or work today. Oh yeahhhh.

Going to see PJ Gallagher tonight also.

edit: roughly 7.15 miles in 54:14. Avg 7:35min/mile pace.

Like Monday - the whole thong was a struggle. Like i lost my mojo from the previous few weeks. Im gonna put this down to the marathon.

Got my hands on Nerurkars marathon running.

Looking at the program for sub 3:30 marathon and i like the look of it. Nice volume load in their. You are running 6 days a week though - which might not be the best for my wonky body. 50+ miles most weeks peaking at 60.

Anyone done this programme?

Going to run out home to get mail. 9 miles round trip.

Gonna wait for this yorkie to digest first though!

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Mmm yorkies :D

Didn't run home. Instead opted for a run around where i live. 7.02 miles in 50.05. Nice run. first run post Dublin that i felt i had mojo again. Back from work now and hungryyyyyy

• Advertisement

Going for 9 today, 5 tomorrow and then gym sun and mon,

Really gotta put this post marathon eating in check! Not a bread fan at all but ever since the marathon iv been nomming away at it ... with butter. Falpjacks too. Way too many carbs! Need to get me some more decent protein. I miss my cottage cheese.

Looking back over nerurkar's programme - it's 12 weeks. Week 1 is something like this:
    M- 5m easy
    T-5x3min, 2min
    W-5m easy
    T-5-6m fartlek
    f-Rest
    S-6m steady
    S-12m

Tuesday is nice in the fact that's a speed session which i can substitute with a track session in UL in the evening time.

Programme starts off at 40 miles and peaks at 60. There is also split training in the programme as it develops like 4miles easy am and then a fartlek session pm. I like this a lot.

Thinking i might set down basework from now to xmas for rotterdam. keep the LSR on sundays and do 10/12 miles every sunday. Will do shorter races. Doing one of the mizuno 5k 22nd this month and a couple of the limerick winter league.

The only probs i see arising is that in a 12 week programme there is very little room for injury.

Any feedback or suggestions about the programme?

EDIT: did 7.38 miles in 56:30 as i said id go to the gym this evening with a friend.
    miles 3-5 were against the biggest headwind i have ever raon against! Horrible shtuff. 5 onwards was great. Nice and effortless and brought the pace back up. Now to study human movements :(

In college from 9.30 till after 6 today. Pretty wrecked after it but dragged myself to the gym for 30 min interval training on the spin bike.

Day of study and catch up tomorrow.

spin this morning.

Trying to play catch up with all this college work now ... core work and resistance this evening

Ended up going to town for food and drinks this evening so didn't have time for the gym so popped out for just over 4 miles at a nice brisk pace.

Had great food and lots of wine(well, lots to me as im a lightweight).

Great night and just what i needed after a ****ty few days. Really brightened my spirits. Happy days. Wish i was going out now though ... oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Some savage running the last few weeks. You were just behind me in the frank duffy, half and the marathon. But by the looks of your running now you should be ahead of me in the future!

Was supposed to go to the gym this morning but head wasn't the best (wine!) so opted for a nice big brekkie and going to go for a run now. Slightly ever ever so slightly feel right shin so going to take tuesday and wednesday off running and focus on the gym those days.

It's now raining. This morning there was a pink sky and sun out but not any more.

Did around 7.4 miles yesterday. Was horrible. Brutal almost. First 2 miles were grand but then it just took its tole. I felt like shoite and normally if i was running a 7:30 mile, my hr would be around mid 140s but my heart rate was in the low to mid 160s. It was a real struggle. Around 55min i think.

I felt really ****ty for the rest of the day. Heavy head, slighht tempature, chesty cough and no energy. Dosed up on lemsip and when i woke first thing this morning i felt grand.

Did an early morning spin class this morning. I will do some CTrainer and resistance and core work in a while.

Did Full body workout inc. core this afternoon.

Shin is all good but ever since mondays run my right IT band has been acting up ever so slightly so ill stay away from the tarmac today.

5k on treadmill followed by lunchtime spin followed by some core work. Head back in the evening for fitness yoga.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

great training ULstudent. Mind urself and the sniffles. This weather really isnt helping!

You gonna venture out for the race series tomorrow night?

Advertisement