Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early mara 2010 and maybe someday even a sub 1:25 half and sub 40 10k.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Thanks Marie.

I'm doing my all best to get cover for work tommorrow evening. harder than i thought. Fingers crossed for me!! Really want to get out and do as many as i can. Never raced shorter distances before so reeally want to cracking to see how i cope.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

I was gonna do the UL race tomorrow night, but i gotta head back up to Dublin. Will get one to one of them at some stage though. Was out running in UL today at 3.30 and it was horrific, lashing from start to finish. Gonna be a long winter. Hope to see you at the 10 miler on stephens day in Caherdavin, aiming for about 67 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭theduke1

I was gonna do the UL race tomorrow night, but i gotta head back up to Dublin. Will get one to one of them at some stage though. Was out running in UL today at 3.30 and it was horrific, lashing from start to finish. Gonna be a long winter. Hope to see you at the 10 miler on stephens day in Caherdavin, aiming for about 67 mins.

hey where is caherdavin as im looking for some races over the xmas
    tks

theduke1 wrote: »
    hey where is caherdavin as im looking for some races over the xmas
    tks

Pretty much past thomand park and by the institute of technology.
    AFAIK the race starts at the country club.

Cheers for that Brianderunner - completely forgot that this even happened and will, all going well, be at this. Gonna need a race to get rid of the ginormous xmas dinner and it will be handy for rotterdam too!

No cover for work this evening so went out and did just under 7.5. Grand run and the IT band didn't act up. Iv been foam rolling it away anyway and will continue to do so. Thinking over the next 6 weeks do my runs under 10miles but do them quicker and out of my usual comfort zone. My work hours will be changed soon for he purpose that i can go back to track sessions every tuesday evening. That's the great thing about part time work on campus!

Caught some rain and a bit of headwind today but am really liking when the autumn weather comes out. Great to run in.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Reaganomical

The 10 miler on stephens day is a good run alright. It starts at the community centre in Caherdavin and heads out the Old Cratloe Rd as far as Cratloe and back in the (eerily quiet) main road from Shannon before finishing just beyond Ivans shop. There's a 5/6 miler run in conjunction. Great crowd last year, and some pretty swift times up the front. I enjoyed it, even if I thought I was going to collapse after the Christmas dinner and drinks the day before.

Cheap as chips as well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

The stephens day 10 miler is the Limerick County 10 mile c'ships but anyone can enter, its either a fiver or a tenner, dont quite remember. Also theres a turkey trot on Sunday Dec 20th ran by Limerick AC but anyone can do it, its usually on in UL around 11am, about 5k, similar route to the rowing club races on now (but not in the dark). Most people run for charity but you dont have to.

Fri was gym

Sat was over 7 miles this morning. IT band acting up. Coming down with a cold or something. Not good.

Gym this morning

Intervals on the cross trainer - started at resistance 8 and increased in increments of 2 resistance levels every 90sec till i got to the highest level. i then worked my way back down in the same fashion. When i worked my way back down i started sprints. 30sec on 30 sec off. 30 sec on at level 15/20 and then 30 sec recovery at level 8/20. Then finished up with a small hill. Just over 30min. Worked up a nice sweat.

Foam rolled. Man my calf's were in pain during it and so was the IT band but both feel great now. Finished with stretching. Used the dynaband to assist me where i could and held the stretches for longer. Round a minute for each side everywhere. Really want to improve my flexibility. It's a joke.

Monday AM: spin 30min, CT intervals 30min.
    Midday: pilates flow.

IT is acting up again so going to foam roll it a lot this week and stretch it.

Off to Killarney on Sunday for the Mizuno 5k.

Spin class this morning and core work, foam rolling.

Lookingmfoward to seeing what time i can pull out of the bag for the 5k sunday. Macmillan says 18:34 for 3miles.

Two of my firends are doing the same 5k sunday and it's their first road race so should be overall a fun day. Hopefully it won't be windy and rainy.

• Advertisement

4 miles easy today - and the IT started acting up after mile 3 :(
    Back to the physio so ...

Gym tonight. Intervals on the bike and freestyle fitness yoga - im as flexable as a tree!! Great class.

In even better news i told my boss today that i cannot work on tuesday evenings anymore and will be working a few hours on fri instead.
    This means that i can go back to west limerick track sessions now on tuesdays. Yay! This makes me happy ... even if i had to lie to get tuedays off ;)

oh and i might be adding a new nice big race to my calender for the may bank hol weekend next year - will know in the next few days!!

Pyramid session in the gym this morning followed by pilates which focused a lot on the core today.

Exams starting 2 weeks time. EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK. My almost final set of undergrad exams. Bout ****ing time. Have to worry about this extra weekend course too. Ugh.

... and the weather is ****illy ****ty.

... and i'm working 5-9 tonight.

Bike in the gym today.
    Been foam rolling the klast few days mightily and no pain from the IT band at all but wil hold off and do a morning run on the grass before college tomorrow and then the mizuno 5k on sunday.

It is painfull when i foam roll the IT band. I presume this is a sign that it is very tight?

Sat - 4 easy gentle miles during college break. IT band was grand after it but following the run we had 2 hours of going through circuit training warm up routiones so basically we were running in circles for 2 hours and side running etc. Didn't bode well for the IT band at all at all and it niggles a bit. That evening went to the gym and foam rolled and stretched for a good bit and it felt grand.

Sunday - Mizuno 5k series race 3
    Looking foward to this as it was my first time racing a short distance and i was eager to see what time i could pull out of the bag. Was hopeful of around 18:40 as macmillan has me at 18:3x and thoought this was a fair enough indicator to work off. Left Limerick this morning at 8:40 and got to Killarney after 10am only to be told that it was CANCELLED> GRRRRRRRRR

Down to flooding. What can ya do.

Got home and did 5.3 miles. Changed the insoles in my shoes and the IT band didnt really act up at all. One or two twinges but other than that i felt like i could have gone on and on but thought it smart not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

How annoying, to get yourself there and no race!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

ULstudent wrote: »
    oh and i might be adding a new nice big race to my calender for the may bank hol weekend next year - will know in the next few days!!
    Belfast marathon? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

You've been hit with the dreaded ITB curse!! I'll keep an eye here to see how you get on treating it. TBH, I just haven't been doing much at all, not stretching, not foam rolling and not really running so gonna pull the finger out tomorrow.

Hey OI. Yeah, for me it has flared up before and with stretching, foam rolling and a bit of a heel lift, it goes quick enough. After a while i get lazy and stop stretching the IT band and foam rolling and them months down the line BAM! I should just keep up the prevention exercises all the time. I'l never learn :rolleyes:

Today
    8am: Braved the ****ty weather and got out for an easy 4 miles 29 min. IT was grand. The new heel lift and exercises are really helping. At mile 3, my stomach started rumbling and i knew what was coming so made a dash for home ... except that the last mile was on a continuous ascent(mostly) against a mofo headwind. Made it home just in the nick of time!

Mid-day: 30min intervals on the spinning bike followed by pilates flow.

Belfast marathon? :pac:

Nope - Limerick marathon:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Nope - Limerick marathon:D

Does it involve dodging the gunshots for extra excitement?

• Advertisement

Does it involve dodging the gunshots for extra excitement?

Just eggs i'm afraid.

My.Last.Tuesday.Working.EVENINGS! Yipee. Can't wait to have tuesday evenings free again for track and general ULstudent creepy mischief.

Hit the sack at 11 last night. Got to sleep shortly before 4. Was supposed to get up at 6.45 to go to the gym: didn't happen obviously. Did had to get up to hand keys into work though at 8 but literally walked there and back to the apartment(10 min walk) and straight back to bed and conked and woke up not too long ago.

Now in my gear and want to head out for an hour so it will be around 8 miles ir there abouts.

Around 8.4 miles according to mapmyrun. Just under an hour too. Good times.

Rained pretty much the whole way.

Great Limerick run - may 2nd 2010!

Can't friggin wait for that. Excellent news.

Full marathon all the way.

2010 Races
    • 10 miler 26/12/09
    • Ballycotton 10
    • Rotterdan marathon
    • Plassy 10k
    • Great Limerick run - full
    Will be using Rotterdam as my fast marathon and just running Limerick.

• Cork city marathon -relay.
    • Dublin Lifestly series.
    • Dublin Marathon

The only maybe ones right now are Ballycotton and cork city depending on whether i can get people to do a relay for it.
    The Dublin series and marathon as well as Limerick and Rotterdam are a go.

A goals -
    Rotterdam and Dublin are my A goals. Want to reduce my time from 3:34 for rotterdam and again for Dublin.

B goals-
    Achieve a good time in plassy 10k in march, Run the limerick marathon and bring down my half marathon time and ten mile time next yeat at some stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

2010 Races
    • 10 miler 26/12/09
    • Ballycotton 10
    • Rotterdan marathon
    • Plassy 10k
    • Great Limerick run - full
    Will be using Rotterdam as my fast marathon and just running Limerick.

• Cork city marathon -relay.
    • Dublin Lifestly series.
    • Dublin Marathon
    The only maybe ones right now are Ballycotton and cork city depending on whether i can get people to do a relay for it.
    The Dublin series and marathon as well as Limerick and Rotterdam are a go.

A goals -
    Rotterdam and Dublin are my A goals. Want to reduce my time from 3:34 for rotterdam and again for Dublin.

B goals-
    Achieve a good time in plassy 10k in march, Run the limerick marathon and bring down my half marathon time and ten mile time next yeat at some stage.

Tough schedule there with 3 Marathons! Hoping to make it to the St Stephen day one myself, now just need to not have a 4th dinner and drink a bottle of wine as the coach has me down for sub 65 :eek:

No doubt myself and --Amadeus-- will be down for the plassey 10k too. Best of luck with the plan this year :)

MCOS wrote: »
    Tough schedule there with 3 Marathons! Hoping to make it to the St Stephen day one myself, now just need to not have a 4th dinner and drink a bottle of wine as the coach has me down for sub 65 :eek:

No doubt myself and --Amadeus-- will be down for the plassey 10k too. Best of luck with the plan this year :)

Cheers MCOS.

Yeah i know myself that this plan is very optimistic and will have to be looked at closer after xmas. Thing is, for a long time before i started running i just trained and trained with no goals. I, simply put, slogged a lot ... but for nothing. Then i started to run and then i ran my first race and it was love. For the first time i had structure in something in my life. When i trained with no goals i found training time taking over my social life and college work and other important things which was stoopid seeing as i had nothing to train for. Running not only gave me something to work towards in a structured manner but it also made me structure my life and make me realise that i have other proiorities in life that need taking care off too. If that means doing a run early morning or late at night so i can get work done or see friends then so be it. That's life.

So now i love having plans and i have already signed up for Rotterdam and i cannot Not do Limerick so i figure do Rotterdam as my fast and just enjoy limerick for what it is. Then i figure some rest for a tiny bit and then focus on Dublin marathon and get the half time down in Dublin beforehand too hopefully. I think if anything has to go it will be a marathon but im not focussing on that now. That can be looked at in a few weeks. Wow there are a lot of gaols in here. EEK

Yeah looking foward to the 26th. First time doing it. Will be happy to stay below my time from frank duffy (69:44). Whether that will be possibbly with all the xmas dinner will be another thing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

ULstudent, do you know if you just turn up to the 10miler on the 26th Dec? What time does it start? I've never heard of it before.
    I did the run last Stephen's day, from Arthur's Quay out to Annacotty which was about 9km I think, but I might up up for the 10 miles.

Hey Blue

Afaik, and im open to correction, you can simply turn up on the day and pay.

• Advertisement

Today - lots of time of the gym.

Morning: 60min bike and pilates split like the following:

30min spin
    45min pilates
    30min spin.

Finished work two hours earlier than expected. Didnt think the race series was going ahead so went to the gym

Spinning yet again! and freestyle yoga after.

Man that was a lot of work today but was full of energy.

Advertisement