Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early mara 2010 and maybe someday even a sub 1:25 half and sub 40 10k.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Yesterday went as planned.

This morning did a 50min spin class. It was fairly good.

It's ****ing mega freezing today. What ever happened to global warming, or climate change as my oh so politically correct friend put it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

ULstudent wrote: »
    Yesterday went as planned.

This morning did a 50min spin class. It was fairly good.

It's ****ing mega freezing today. What ever happened to global warming, or climate change as my oh so politically correct friend put it?

not to worry, I see a long hot summer in our cards, if we ever survive this ! It really is getting more & more difficult to get out there isn't it. :mad:

This evening did 30min on the CT and streatching and foam rolling. Gonna go out tomorrow and see how the achilles holds up.

The little tiny bit of strain i was feeling in my achilles and thought had gone stopped my ledd than half a mile into a run this morning. I am very pissed off and very ****ing angry - just as i see nice running improvements i get injured.Nice start to 2010. Off to the gym in a bit to pound the cross trainer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

The little tiny bit of strain i was feeling in my achilles and thought had gone stopped my ledd than half a mile into a run this morning. I am very pissed off and very ****ing angry - just as i see nice running improvements i get injured.Nice start to 2010. Off to the gym in a bit to pound the cross trainer.

Have you been to see a physio? Maybe all the cross training is aggravating the injury?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Rio 2016

I'd have to agree with Amadeus and chances are it is only a minor problem.

Your natural running style may have been compromised with all the snow and ice over the last couple of weeks.

Have you been to see a physio? Maybe all the cross training is aggravating the injury?

Ringing tomorrow morning but i think some rest will heal all. I had an achilles strain a while back that was much worse than this - i couldnt walk and 3 days of bedrest and laziness and there was a huge improvement, back out running within the week so i guess the message is that it is sometimes ok to slow down. Bit of rest won't kill me for a day or two.
    Rio 2016 wrote: »
    I'd have to agree with Amadeus and chances are it is only a minor problem.

Your natural running style may have been compromised with all the snow and ice over the last couple of weeks.

Thought the same.

Today:
    Gym - did 30min on the CT. Ascended, descended, sprints 30 sec on then 30 0ff. Sprinted at level 15/20. Then finished with a smaller ascent and descent.

Did some ower back mobility stuff.

Then 30 min rolling hills on the LeMond.

Stretched and foam rolled.

Training overview w/e 10/01

11 hours or there abouts i think

Miles: 20 or there abouts - DAMN ACHILLES

Other: Lots of Spinning and Cross trainer, little bit of resistance ad yoga

I will be off the running for a few days. No biggie with the achilles though. Already feeling a bit better after having my legs raped tomorrow. Poor calves :(

Monday - 90min spin, 40min full body workout hitting legs, chest, back and arms. Sore this morning.

This morning: 50min + 30 on spin bike.

I have developed an upper respitory cough. I think it was brought on by leaving the gym on sweat bucketing form and then walking home (5 min walk) in -10 weather. I think the immediate jump from one temp to the other is responsable. I never get ill/sick. Feel grand other than chest so by rights i should not even be training but ...

midday(after a great 10/11 hour sleeps) 1 hour spin bike. Too it very handy.Kept my hr down in the late 130s and low 140s as i didnt want to be exacberatiing the problem.

Tonight - fitness yoga. Full body workout after - squats, lunges, bench, back, hit the arms too and core to finish.

I actually feel a little better now but that may be because i am drugged up to the nines

• Advertisement

Yesterday was feeling a little worse for wear. Went to the gym and tried an easy session on the cross trainer. managed 30min and had to leave. Lungs started to burn and got all caught up with flem.

Lesson leanred: if you feel anything below the neck creep up on you stop straight away. I have no doubt that if i had rested up on tuesday when i felt it come on, that i would be back in fighting form now. I am gonna rest up today even though i have to force myself too but i know its for the better. I have my thesis and weekend course to focus on too so can't be getting ill becaue there is no way in hell i am letting my training suffer. One day off will not kill me, hell even two won't.

Dying to get back on the roads though. Roll on the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

Awight mate? Feeling any better?

OI wrote: »
    Awight mate? Feeling any better?

Cheers for popping in OI.

Lifes been dealing me a pretty ****ty hand since new years. Was out of action for thurs and fri last week. felt better saturday - had college and did 90min on the bike. Sunday got out for 8miles and monday 90min on the bike but yesterday and today iv bwen bed bound. I don't think i let my body beat this thing.

Feeling a tad better. Slight cough nearly gone. Right ear mega blocked up and feels like my right hand side of my face is been stretched :(

Exam results out tomorrow and i am not optimistic at all and on top of this Rotterdam is out for me. This saturday in college i found out i have my practical exams that weekend so no rotterdam for moi. Slightly sickened but there is nothing i can do. my plan is adare 10k, plassey 10k, maybe great ireland run. limerick marathon and then ill plough through some races in the summer, Get in the dublin series and since i wont be in ireland for dublin marathon ill look at doing one come august/ september.

Anyway ... time to stop feeling sorry fpr myself! Im dying of boredom here. i cannot stand been locked up in bed. Its killing me. Im hoping to be better realll soooon.

7.5 slowish painful miles this morning

60min spin

Fri:90min spin. Concentrated on keeping cadence high, Kept the Hr in mid to high 130s.

Off to a new highly recommended physio Monday. usually a bit of a wait but i got in on a cancellation. yay! My calf seems tight so im thinking my achilles is overcompensating but then again i am not in a position to make a diagnosis! Hopefully all goes well on monday. Got sick ot the 'i havnt a clue so ill bull**** you' syndrome of my current physio. Enough is enough like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Off to a new highly recommended physio Monday. usually a bit of a wait but i got in on a cancellation. yay! My calf seems tight so im thinking my achilles is overcompensating but then again i am not in a position to make a diagnosis! Hopefully all goes well on monday. Got sick ot the 'i havnt a clue so ill bull**** you' syndrome of my current physio. Enough is enough like.

Haha - sure we all know one of those!! :rolleyes: Best of luck with the new physio!

Cheers Spaceylou.

60 min on the bike today.

Note to self: do not eat lots of sugar free chocolate. Who knew sweeteners played havoc with your digestive system? :(

Prognosis: achilles tendonosis :(

Sat: 60min spin
    Sun: 60min spin
    Mon: 90min spin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

from what you were saying id have guessed that, had the same thing last summer, dont mean to depress you but it's a right biatch(missed 2 months). do lots of icing, get plenty of physio and rest it properly - its not one to mess around with or try do too much through. most importantly find out why it happened - i was wearing the wrong runners (i need support type ones). if you havent had a gait analysis i would strongly suggest one.

It generally comes about from running on stiff calfs. do lots of calf exercises esp swedish heel drops

• Advertisement

kennyb3 wrote: »
    from what you were saying id have guessed that, had the same thing last summer, dont mean to depress you but it's a right biatch(missed 2 months). do lots of icing, get plenty of physio and rest it properly - its not one to mess around with or try do too much through. most importantly find out why it happened - i was wearing the wrong runners (i need support type ones). if you havent had a gait analysis i would strongly suggest one.

It generally comes about from running on stiff calfs. do lots of calf exercises esp swedish heel drops

Yeah, got an ultrasound on it yesterday, nothing big i was told. i can hop on the leg without much discomfort but cannot do a painless calf raise on it and was told that i shouldnt run until i can. Got a shock wave session on it and back again this day two weeks. Im only glad that i have my thesis to keep me occupied for the next few weeks.

Doing some calf stuff and raises too. Pain in the hole though. Im told your not a real runner until you have an injury but i have never felt like less of a runner at the moment! All i notice is a plethora of people running by me everday!!! Dear jesus like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

It will drive you mad but you ll get there and come back stronger. just be patient(if you can). good to have something else to focus on like your thesis

Ah dude, that sucks! Hope it doesn't take too long to heal.

Really cant cope with this injury malarky. Sweet jesus i am slowly dying inside. It is actually killing me!

Past week has been pretty horrific. Mix of mounting college pressure, regular family stuff and having no training gives me no outlet to vent or clear my mind so everything just seems so much worse. Can't seem to compatmentalise things so eveything is one big mush and motivation is falling dowwwnnn.

It can only get better (i hope!). Hopefully the rest of 2010 will be injury free. I have got to start listning to my body. Seriously. Has really scuppered racing plans so looks like i will just have to re focus on summer and autumn.

I will maintain my fitness by cross training in the meantime. Not the same though :( I will update this log when i actually get to start running again.

Know exactly what you mean, and I wouldn't normally do nearly as much as you do! But I am so grumpy and cranky with knee out of action! Like you say, can only get better!!

I have started some aqua jogging with a great instructer (runner and cyclist herself). Its really good now.

Apparently it helps you maintain some running fitness when injured??:confused:

Hopefully this along with some cycling/arc trainer will maintain a good bit of fitness

spaceylou wrote: »
    Know exactly what you mean, and I wouldn't normally do nearly as much as you do! But I am so grumpy and cranky with knee out of action! Like you say, can only get better!!

Lets hope!

Still off the running. Cross training away and keeping the old CV fitness up. Had been gives the all clear for cycling/swimming/rowing etc. Spinning away and this injury has had a positive side ... im finally getting a bike after talking about it for a year. Thinking trek, not 100% decided yet but sure this weekend will ill see.
    Aqua jogging is really good too. Never thought id get into it but it can be a savage training session.

Was at thr physio thurs just gone. Was my 3rd time back. Getting needle therapy and shockwave. He is optimistic that the next 6-8 weeks will be recovery time. It's getting there too, i feel it, but its taking its time. Probably start of april before im back on the road id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Fair play to you for keeping up that level of other training and for your patience on waiting till its right. Hang in there :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Good to hear you're doing ok ULstudent. Fair dues for keeping up the cross training. Liking the positive mental attitude :D

Advertisement