Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early mara 2010 and maybe someday even a sub 1:25 half and sub 40 10k.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

great to hear your on the recovery trail, you'll be back to running 7 min miles in training by June. on the positive side your missing a load of crap weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Purpleskye wrote: »
    Good to hear you're doing ok ULstudent. Fair dues for keeping up the cross training. Liking the positive mental attitude :D

Cheers - i'm plawing away but the attitude is anything but positive!! Just trying to remain afloat in my head if that makes sense!
    great to hear your on the recovery trail, you'll be back to running 7 min miles in training by June. on the positive side your missing a load of crap weather.

Hopefully. Just gotta build a bridge and move on and learn a lesson that i need to listen to the body. Hard to do though! How's the training going for yourself?

It seems the whole of limerick has taking up running. Must be the may bank hol weekend marathon. great to see. Not when you can't run though :mad:

nyway in other news ... im getting myself a bike:D Can't wait. Iv been looking at the 2010 trek. If i come accross a decent one second hand ill go for it but if not ill prob go along the lines of this ... and im also thinking about getting my hands on a turbo trainer. Really gonna go for the hog on this one. Getting yself to the pool as well although i SUCK. need mucho practice in the swimming. Tri here i come ... (hopefully)

ULstudent wrote: »

How's the training going for yourself?

It seems the whole of limerick has taking up running. Must be the may bank hol weekend marathon. great to see. Not when you can't run though :mad:

Doing rotterdam alright in 6 weeks, i'll let you know how it goes. Decided against Limerick after a 17 mile LSR there last week around alot of the course which didnt inspire. Up to 55 miles this week, not gonna get a tune up race but i should be ok.

Yeah there's runners out around all areas of Limerick, especially around 6pm on the footpaths after dark, makes a change, can only be positive.

Doing rotterdam alright in 6 weeks, i'll let you know how it goes. Decided against Limerick after a 17 mile LSR there last week around alot of the course which didnt inspire. Up to 55 miles this week, not gonna get a tune up race but i should be ok.

Yeah there's runners out around all areas of Limerick, especially around 6pm on the footpaths after dark, makes a change, can only be positive.

Yeah some people have passed on comment of gow they are not all that optimistic about the route ... oh well.

Achilles continuing to improve. Still a few weeks but sure im gonna updat this anyway with the training i am doing. Itl keep me sane so to speak.

Mon- 120min bike
    Tue-60min bike
    Wed- Box Jumps, Jerk lunge, Step ups, Clean deadlift, Row, military press, negatives followed by 30min bike. I'm pooped.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Reaganomical

Fair play on keeping up the training despite the injury. When I was out injured for most of '08 the stationery bike became my best friend.

• Advertisement

So my achilles seems to be okay for a while now but i haven't been back running yet. Iv biked biked biked, a little aqua jogging and started doing more weight training ... but havnt ran yet.

Why? If i am completly honest - im scared in a way. Not just that i mightnt be ready but running for me is something that i love but i can't find balance in it at all. Last year just before i got injured i was really making progress. My training runs were sinking just under 7 min miles and they were not too hard at that pace. My speed was coming along nicely ... but i was over doing it. I could never seem to find balance at all. I tried to keep up with all the cross training in the gym along with the running when i should have been concentraiting on the running. It's funny - looking back now i ran myself pretty rugged. I NEVER listened to my body and i paid for it. But at the time i felt great(well told myself i did). I didn't even log all the cross training i was doing in the gym in this log.

Balance for me was a problem and this is really inhibiting me at starting back at the moment. I want to be confident that when i go back i wont run myself injured again. So iv decided that when my exams finish 14th may im taking the rest of the month of training. Believe me - this is a huge thing for me. I don't think i have ever gone that long without training in the past 2 years. Longest was prob 5/6 days and that was when i was sick!

I will do this, head away down the country to relatives and do nothing but relax and enjoy those 2 weeks and really think about how i need to start back training and how to best get balance - a sort of 'sort my head out holiday', a break from life if you will.

Anyway - sorry for the rambling and non sensical rant. Felt i needed to put it somewhere and i suppoose my log is the most approprite place.

Happy training - ill be watching yer logs and have been.

Ill be back (arnie voice ... and arnie always come back).

Back from my training break ... lasted 7 days. Between been glued to Hunnymonsters malin to mizen head run and just from sheer boredom i had to take a break from my training break :D

It did however give me plenty of time to reflect on the last few months. The last few months in life terms were fair **** and not having my running = double ****! Iv learned to that i am going to have to listen to what my body is telling me. i was making great strides before i got injured. I was really happy with getting my training times to sub 7 min and i felt overwhelmingly positive looking towards 2010 as a year that had some great times to give to me. The signs of injury where there ... i just chose to ignore them. The writing was on the wall.

So, where to now? I suppose i have a revenge match with DCM 2010 - vindicate myself. That's the immediate goal anywho. I may do the race series, i may not. I want to get in some good cycling miles over the summer and see how i do with that ... its somethoing new and a new challenge for me and im looking forward to that.

In terms of 2011 - well that's a long way off but if i had my post DCM 2009 speed at the end of this year and DCM went well - il keep on going till i hit the 3hr for the full. It might never happen, it could happen easier than i think but the only way to know is to train for it. im not stating DCM training for another little bit yet so once training is up and running ill tart posting religously on this log again.

Meantime is gonna be spent looking at plans. HH intermediate 2 or maybe Neurekers 12 week plan. Any ideas for a decent plan shout them out.

I reckon you should target 3'10 or 3'15 for the DCM, which is a realistic target given your last 3 months. Look at the tergat plans on here, they are a whole lot better than advanced marathoning by p&d in my opinion. Sub 1'25 half could happen, you weren't too far off last year. Our goals are very similar, i might see you out in UL over the summer.

I reckon you should target 3'10 or 3'15 for the DCM, which is a realistic target given your last 3 months. Look at the tergat plans on here, they are a whole lot better than advanced marathoning by p&d in my opinion. Sub 1'25 half could happen, you weren't too far off last year. Our goals are very similar, i might see you out in UL over the summer.

Yeah i want to be aggressive with the target but not too aggressive so 3:15 is the immediate anyway. If training goes well etc etc maybe 3:10. Tbh - 1:25 half can wait. It's a long term goal now i'd say. Just want to stick around the same time as last year. Under 1:30 and i'd be happy, under 1:29 even better.

Cheers for the plan advie - gonna check it out. If im not in UL for the summer il be in Dublin anywho jobbing it up (hopefully).

Getting back into the swing of things with the running again ... and you know what? I am actually just really enjoying getting out there and just running at the moment without worrying without my pace, watch etc. It's great to finally be able to get out and just enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

glad to hear it dude, nice to run with some freedom. im going to leave the watch at home more when i get back fully

kennyb3 wrote: »
    glad to hear it dude, nice to run with some freedom. im going to leave the watch at home more when i get back fully

Cheers Kenny - you're coming along great on the bike. It's something i want to continue to do over the summer.

Well today i did a few lovely miles in and around clare glens. Then went waterfall diving out there with friends. there are two friends over from England visiting Ireland that we got to know when on study abroad in New York. Great day. Water freezing but nice way to cool off after such heat out there.

I really should start logging my training again ...

My legs are in PAIN. Yesterday cycled not too much over 42km to Tipp and later that evening though it would be great to cycle back home after i though i would stay overnight. Then today hopped along to a spin class feeling great and now im knocked for 6, tired but this slice of chocolate coconut cake is keeping me happy.

Nice easy 4 mile run this morning followed straight by 30min on the spin bike at home.

Now looking into getting som indiv swimming lessons. Iv been talking about it for far too long and am now seeing people here like Marie flying with the swimming and woddle starting more swimming that it's now time for me to shut up and do it! Tri in end oif summer/ early sept maybe?

40min spin class this morning followed by a few laps in the pool.

Sunday - 6 comfortable miles unpaced

Monday - bit of aqua jogging. Much weirder without the class structure., I prefer been told what to do than trying to do it by myself.

Spin class this afternoon.

Tue - brick session again with spin bike and 6 miles.

Did a spin class today and met a friend who i haven't seen in a while who mentioned doing a tri before summers end and said that if i came along we could do some open water swims together cos she wouldn't do any alone so i agreed.

Now officially broke - got a trek hybrid on monday for commuting after only having gotten a giant not too long back. Why all the money on the bikes people?

5 miles this morning un timed. It was a struggle. I had just woke up and gotout the door. It was a matter of just getting it done. SHould havew had a glass of juice before i went out or water. Was deffo not hydrated enough.

Gonna *attempt* a few laps of the pool trhis afternoon.

*attempt* = somebody resembling slow bobby in the swimming pool. Somebody said to mne yesterday that if you are not a good swimmer as an adult, you never will be. To be honest i would settle for been able to swim a few lengths consecutilvy at this moment in time. Im very unpatient.

Open water swim planned in lough derg next week ... it will be very interesting to say the least.

5 miles this morning. Feel like a truck has run me over now. Not even 2 coffees and a big bar of dark chocolate has helped.

Yesterday forced myself out for 5 miles. Felt horrible though.

Spin clas this afternoon followed by attempted swimming in the pool after.

• Advertisement

I heat tight hamstrings

I repeat ... i hate tight hamstrings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

I heat tight hamstrings

I repeat ... i hate tight hamstrings
    Did you ever try the foam roller. I found it great for tight calves (calfs??).

gerard65 wrote: »
    Did you ever try the foam roller. I found it great for tight calves (calfs??).

I ****ing love the foam roller - ended up using a rolling pin at home. I really sdhould just buy one at this stage! :rolleyes:

Cant even remember all this week. Its like all the days have melted together.

Did 3 hours on the spin bike tues (maybe wed) - that deserves a medal. Other than that did a swim session, drank some kopperburg. Crashed my bike, fell off my bike again.

That was the height of my week. Yozers.

drank some kopperburg. Crashed my bike, fell off my bike again.

How many cans of kopperburg did you drink???:D

How many cans of kopperburg did you drink???:D

At least id have an excuse for it if i went on the bike after drinking. Oh well!

Where has the week gone? All the days are mushing into each other.

After vegging all day watching tour de france highlights on eurosport i somehow managed to drag my arse out for 7 easy miles un timed in this ****ty rainy weather we are having. It is really warm out though.

It seems like i have a slow leak puncture. Ovber the course of a day my back wheel is deflating. I am useless with maintenance since im completley new to this. Any tips? I don't want to have to un nessicarily go to the shop like. Grrr.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Cheers Kenny - i feel like a dear in the headlights but got to admit i am really enjoying the cycling.

Got some bits and peices and doing 44kmish tomorrow to tipp town so hopefully it will b grand for then.

Today: 1 hour on the spin bike, 3 mile run easy effort.

Plan for tomorrow: 44km cycle

Wed: Return journey.

• Advertisement

44.9 km @ 28.3 Km p/h.

Felt very leisurely to me tbh.

Advertisement