Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dwight Yorke on Keane Management [mod warning post #42]

• 27-09-2009 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

I think poor old Triggs will be getting a serious walking today after Ipswich's result against the barcodes. I'm not looking to open up a debate here, I'm sure ball fans will just want to have a read of it. Pity its NOTW and I swear my Mrs noticed it while looking for their holy trinity of Katona, Posh and Price :D

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/523923/dwight-yorke.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

seriously.

would it surprise any of us if all that was true?

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

No it wouldnt.

I burst out laughing at Yorkie telling him that he was "scaring the **** out of the players".

What is it with United players and Kung Fu kicks as well. Seriously get the board there and he takes a run and jump at it :D Ledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Read some of Yorkes book today in a newspaper review and Keane comes across as quite a horrible person ,somebody who has a low opinion and dislike of people (everybody in fact ) while having a very high opinion of himself ....full stop .

Not a good manager either by all acounts .:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

None of it surprises me at all, the way morale just plummted at sunderland says it all. Also the way he acted as a player it seems he's brought that into his mangerial style. Fails to realise that Clough's style of management just won't work now a days. The way he acted it was always obvious Keane has some serious mental problems that he probably wont ever get fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Pathetic.

Yorkie trying to ship copies of his book by dishing "dirt" on Keane and Jordan.

FFS . :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Boggles wrote: »
    Pathetic.

Yorkie trying to ship copies of his book by dishing "dirt" on Keane and Jordan.

FFS . :rolleyes:

exactly

Hasselbaink accused chelsea of illegal bonus payments to players :rolleyes:

anything to sell his autobiography

Wonder does the book mention him refusing to acknowdlege or support his autistic son?

FFS people questioning Keane because of this low lifes say so, Jordon is a bigger man than him and I despise her.

FFS people questioning Keane because of this low lifes say so, Jordon is a bigger man than him and I despise her.

anyone who takes it as gospel is indeed foolish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Nothing would surprise me. Keane has come across unbalanced for some time now;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Definitely shouldn't be taken as the truth, but God forbid anyone say anything negative about Royston. It could very well be true so dismissing it is just as foolish as taking it as gospel.

• Advertisement

SlickRic wrote: »
    anyone who takes it as gospel is indeed foolish.
    SlickRic wrote: »
    seriously.

would it surprise any of us if all that was true?

:confused:

yes....and...?

'don't take it as gospel, but don't be surprised if it's true.'

no problems there.

nice try though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

It's obvious Keane is a bad manager. He bought promotion with Sunderland, was rubbish in the Premiership despite spending millions again, walked when the going got tough and has now presided over Ipswich's worst start in 45 years. Rubbish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Kingp35 wrote: »
    It's obvious Keane is a bad manager. He bought promotion with Sunderland, was rubbish in the Premiership despite spending millions again, walked when the going got tough and has now presided over Ipswich's worst start in 45 years. Rubbish

do you know where sunderland were in the table when keane took over ?

Is the gospel foolish?

Will leave it there. Reminded me of how good Yorkie was in his day for United. That patnership with himself and Cole was class.

Hitting your captain doesn't bode well. I know Clough clocked Roy but a different era then.

He has signed a couple of Sunderland players though hasnt he? Anyone think he will make it to Christmas with Ipswich?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Seillejet wrote: »
    Hitting your captain doesn't bode well.

It was only a slap.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Headshot wrote: »
    do you know where sunderland were in the table when keane took over ?

Yes down the bottom. Do you know anything about the Championship? Loads of teams of equal quality. However give someone a few quid and they will walk that league every time. ANY manager given the money Keane got would get Sunderland out of that division. He was given millions in the Premiership as well and wasted in on average players. He then walks because it got too tough for him.

It seems as if people have a problem saying it like it is with Ray just because he is one of the best players this country has produced. He is a poor manager and is been completely shown up for what he is at Ipswich because he doesn;t have millions to splash around on new players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

sounds like keane is a bit of a mad man. no smoke without fire and all of that...

kenon wrote: »
    It was only a slap.

Is that not the same thing.

Sunderland it has to be said are a decent outfit now and will give most teams a game. Just ask Wolves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Yes down the bottom. Do you know anything about the Championship? Loads of teams of equal quality. However give someone a few quid and they will walk that league every time. ANY manager given the money Keane got would get Sunderland out of that division. He was given millions in the Premiership as well and wasted in on average players. He then walks because it got too tough for him.

It seems as if people have a problem saying it like it is with Ray just because he is one of the best players this country has produced. He is a poor manager and is been completely shown up for what he is at Ipswich because he doesn;t have millions to splash around on new players.
    Eh? Afaik he has brought in a lot of players to Ipswich since becoming manager, probably not the same outlay as at Sunderland but still significant. Watching the game yesterday it struck me how poor Ipswich were on the ball and particularly defensively, they need a win next game to get some confidence going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Seillejet wrote: »

Is that not the same thing.

He slapped Dean Whitehead "around the head". I personally wouldn't care about a slap in the heated enviroment of a dressing room at half-time or full time. Its better than a punch. (Clough). Or a football boot to the face. (Fergie).

I doubt Dean Whitehead cared much about it and Dwight Yorke has plummeted down in my estimation by doing a tell-all.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

Agree with you about Yorke Kenon especially for United fans. What's he at holding onto text messages in his phone like that. Keane obviuosly got his character spot on by telling him "go f£$K yourself".

If I was captain I wouldnt let a manager slap me around the head. Id tell him exactly what to do and Id lose respect as a player for any captain that allowed it to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Aidric wrote: »
    Watching the game yesterday it struck me how poor Ipswich were on the ball and particularly defensively, they need a win next game to get some confidence going.

How many next weeks can a club afford though before it's too late? They're in big trouble so something has to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Yorkie shocked at being told to go F**k himself after he sends an obvious wind up message to Keane, I lolled.

Both of these are united legends, one has a book to sell, leave them to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Shocking, X-rated and abusive text message eh?

Poor old Dwight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

stovelid wrote: »
    Shocking, X-rated and abusive text message eh?

Poor old Dwight.
    From Jordan?

AFAIK as I know he was the first manager ever to do such a thing in the history of the football league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Boggles/Headshot-do yous think Keane is a good manager?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I think Mick McCarthy is a way better manager than Roy Keane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Let's face it, Roy Keane will never be United manager.
    His personality is unsuited to football management, as a footballer he was completely focussed on being his very best, every game.

As a manager his job is to make his players perform to their best every week, He mustn't be able to transfer the same motivation he had onto the players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

He didn't mention anything about Keane growing a beard which was a sign that he was depressed. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

FFs lads, all this hoopla over quotes in the news of the world by Dwight Yorke, get a grip on yourselves the lot of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Good old Dwight Yorke, quick to dish out stuff when it is about somebody else. I wonder how open and honest he will be about his own ****e?

He should be thanking Keane otherwise he would have been trying to fill his book with tales about Jordan's rack, and the kid he tried to deny.

At least he is on the right track for his target audience by using a rag like the NOTW. Would not be surprised to see him popping up in some of the gossip mags his ex is always on the cover of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Keane will be an ex-manager for good at some point before Christmas, having walked once he can't walk again, however if he stays and gets fired with Ipswich at the foot of the table he'll be seen as quite incompetent while being rather expensive to hire.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Latchy wrote: »
    Read some of Yorkes book today in a newspaper review and Keane comes across as quite a horrible person ,somebody who has a low opinion and dislike of people (everybody in fact ) while having a very high opinion of himself ....full stop .

Not a good manager either by all acounts .:p

sounds like me tbh

although id probably be a better gaffer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Just trying to sell his book. If he really had ''respect'' for Keane he wouldn't be saying all that. This made me lol "I think he is an impact manager, which is why I believe he could be ideal for the international stage."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

he might be right tbh

id read that as "if he was your manager every day youd want to punch his face off, but if you had him for a week every 2 months he'd probably fire you up for the task"

which sounds pretty much how id assume keane to be

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Keane would have people retiring, refusing to play for him and would be picking lads he likes.

He should never have jumped into management, he'd prob be a cracking assistant. Feels he's above that prob.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Boggles/Headshot-do yous think Keane is a good manager?

I'll put it to you this way Al, you think Rafa is the second coming and his balls smell of freshly cut grass.

Go look at his early managerial career, take 5 minutes and come back here and answer your own question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I'll put it to you this way Al, you think Rafa is the second coming and his balls smell of freshly cut grass.

Go look at his early managerial career, take 5 minutes and come back here and answer your own question.

I'm nipping this in the bud now: do not turn this into a Man Utd vs Liverpool sh1t fest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Are you aware how much Keane actually spent to get Sunderland out of the Championship? Alot of the players he brought in were on loan or on free transfers.

He spent money when he got up to the PL and alot of the transfers didn't work out but the team did stay up in his first season.

Ipswich obviously isn't working and there'll be plenty of people waiting to pick through the pieces but he hasn't done badly for a new manager.

Bruce may be doing better with Sunderland but let's not forget he's been around for years and wasn't exactly a huge success at the start of his career.

I'm nipping this in the bud now: do not turn this into a Man Utd vs Liverpool sh1t fest.

That wasn't the intention.

Rafa is an excellent example of why you shouldn't judge managers in the first few years of their careers. Actually he is probably one of the best examples.

Same way as you wouldn't write off any youth player starting out in his career.

In management, like everything else there is a learning curve, which everyone has to travel down.

As for Keane and Ipswich, they are really no better off than they were at this stage last year, wouldn't surprise me to see Keane walk, similarly it wouldn't surprise me to see them go on a run and gain promotion.

But I think I'm going off top topic, this is really about Yorke and trying to flog his new book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭The Hustler

Lemlin wrote: »
    Are you aware how much Keane actually spent to get Sunderland out of the Championship? .

Nearly 12 million. He BOUGHT promotion

Season 06-07:
    Kenny Cunningham - Free
    Clive Clarke - Undisclosed fee
    Tobias Hysen - £1,700,000
    Stanislav Varga - Signed
    Ross Wallace - Signed
    Dwight Yorke - £200,000
    Liam Miller - Free
    Graham Kavanagh - £500,000
    David Connolly - £1,400,000
    Marton Fulop - £500,000
    Carlos Edwards - £1,400,000
    Anthony Stokes - £2,000,000
    Stern John - Signed
    Greg Halford - £2,500,000
    Russell Anderson - £1,000,000
    Total: £11,200,000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Season 06-07:
    Kenny Cunningham - Free
    Stanislav Varga - Signed
    Ross Wallace - Signed
    Dwight Yorke - £200,000
    Liam Miller - Free
    Marton Fulop - £500,000
    Stern John - Signed

So, it only costs 12million to turn one of the worst teams in premiership history into a side that gains automatic promotion to the premiership. You'd think more Championship clubs would just spend the 12million - they make it back times over once they got to the premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

CHD wrote: »
    he'd prob be a cracking assistant.
    Can I ask why you'd think this? Just interested in your opinion. My hunch would be he wouldnt but I havent much facts or a basis to back it up, other than his temperament

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Aidric wrote: »
    Eh? Afaik he has brought in a lot of players to Ipswich since becoming manager, probably not the same outlay as at Sunderland but still significant. Watching the game yesterday it struck me how poor Ipswich were on the ball and particularly defensively, they need a win next game to get some confidence going.

They've been saying that every time they've lost. Keane simply has to go. It's evident that they can't play football, no inspiration and are going nowhere fast.

A major reshuffle at the club is needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

So, it only costs 12million to turn one of the worst teams in premiership history into a side that gains automatic promotion to the premiership. You'd think more Championship clubs would just spend the 12million - they make it back times over once they got to the premiership.

Halford and Hysen didnt play that many games either afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭The Hustler

Ipswich should never have got rid of Magiliton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Season 06-07:
    Kenny Cunningham - Free
    Stanislav Varga - Signed
    Ross Wallace - Signed
    Dwight Yorke - £200,000
    Liam Miller - Free
    Marton Fulop - £500,000
    Stern John - Signed

Do you have dates for these signings? I've only checked three but Greg Halford was signed on the 11th June 2007, after Sunderland had gained promotion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Halford

Russell Anderson also signed on 27 June 2007 after Sunderland had gained promotion:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Anderson

Tobias Hysen was also signed before Keane had taken over:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobias_Hysen

That's 2.5 million off for Halford.
    1 million off for Anderson.
    1.7 million off for Hysen.

5.2 million off 12 million leaves 6.8 million.

There are also other players on your list which could be incorrect. I only checked the ones which stood out.

Stokes and Fulop were also only signed half way through the season in January so Keane spent about 4 million when he first came in. Not alot for a Championship club tbh.

Have you a list of the players he sold also? For example, Jon Stead was sold for 750k to recoup some of the money spent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement