Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Week 3 Players of the Week thread

• 27-09-2009 5:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭

O: Adrian Peterson.

....it doesn't take a psychic.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Vikings wrote: »

We're ranked third against the run.;). Plus the last time the Niners played you guys it wasn't Peterson who got most of the rushing yardage but Chester Taylor even though the result didn't go in our favour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Sea Devils wrote: »
    We're ranked third against the run.;). Plus the last time the Niners played you guys it wasn't Peterson who got most of the rushing yardage but Chester Taylor even though the result didn't go in our favour.

And how do you think this makes AP feel?

If you are still ranked 3rd (or higher) against the run come 9.30 this evening I will be graceful in defeat.

....but thats not going to happen.

If you are still ranked 3rd (or higher) against the run come 9.30 this evening I will be graceful in defeat.

I don't think rushing the ball from either side will make much difference in this game.The one thing I'm worried about is that you have more aerial threats then us which could make all the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I'm still not convinced that in this league, currently, a RB will have the same impact as a QB. Especially when you look at how Brees has started his season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

davyjose wrote: »
    I'm still not convinced that in this league, currently, a RB will have the same impact as a QB. Especially when you look at how Brees has started his season.

It's not even close. When was the last time a top 5 RB won the Superbowl?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I was really sceptical off sanchez coming out but that kid is a stud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭Hynzie

il tell you whos not player of the week, Byron Leftwich!! 7/16 for 22 yards and an INT. his backup Josh Johnson was more productive in a drive than Leftwich was in 3 quarters!

Nice game by the G Men though. looks like the defense will pitch a shutout

Favre was clearly past the LOS. Be stunned if this doesn't come back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭Hynzie

crazy stuff going on in the texans v jags game. chris brown going in for the tying td and fumbles in the end zone. looks like the jags recovered. booth review on the way

Thats f-d up.

• Advertisement

Don't think in my seven years of being a Niners fan that I have experienced a more soul destroying and heartbreaking loss then that one:(. That includes the Cardinals and Eagles game last year and the Ravens in 07

Absolutely sickened. Great game to watch for the neutral though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I had to pop out for a while earlier, only caught up with the live feed now.

Holeeeee ****.

Win.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭rich1874

There's no contest for offensive player of the week this week. That's Matthew Stafford. You don't even have to look at his stats(even though they were pretty solid 21-36 for 243 and 1td). It's because he led the Lions to their first win in 20 games! I think that's worth a player of the week no? And from a roookie no less. Rookie of the week sown up as well I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

On my way home from d pats game. It looks like the offense is finally starting to gel. Even tho we play @ about 80% of our potential, there is makings of a superbowl calibar team here.

Bring on another 18-1 season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭kev_s88

MOJO for potw!!!

119yds and 3 TDs rushing with 28 yds receving....deffo deserves the award :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,904 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Week 3 isn't over yet, a lot of top guys still to play. I wouldn't be surprised to see Peyton Manning have a big night and then theres Reggie Wayne and last weeks surprise man Dallas Clark, and on the other side of the ball you got Warner, Boldin and Fitzgerald. And you got Romo, Witten, Williams, Barber, Jones, Delhomme, DeAngelo Williams and Steve Smith on Monday. All capable of putting up big numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 jackswitzer

Carson Palmer for me. Back from a serious injury leading a team that was 1-1-11 at one point last season, playing the superbowl champs brought the Bengals from 13 down , converting twice on 4th down in the final drive to win. That was impressive.
    Favre's final pass was magnificent though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Peyton Manning ... again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,187 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Get a new crystal ball. :pac:

A bit early for players of the week, IMO, since the games aren't even over yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Maurice Jones-Drew.

Pocket Hercules gets 119 from 23 with 3 TD's. :D Its not often i get to mention a Jags player in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

how about people wait for all games to be over. How can you pick player of the week when theres still 1 game left to go ?

I had to pop out for a while earlier, only caught up with the live feed now.

Holeeeee ****.

Win.

Well now that I recovered a little just wanted to say congrats. Tough way to lose especially to a play like that. Somehow Favre always finds a way to beat the Niners.:o

People are blaming Raye for maybe not passing the ball on first and second down on our final offensive series especially since your Defense was obviously expecting run but really if Dre Bly doesn't drop that Favre pass on 4th & 5 which would have been a certain pick 6 it's game over.
    D3PO wrote: »
    how about people wait for all games to be over. How can you pick player of the week when theres still 1 game left to go ?

Exactly.

The reason you can just dismiss the rest of the players and pick player of the week when there's still a game to go is because Matthew Stafford led the Lions to a victory. Stopping the 19 game slide! Come on guys surely that's worth a player of the week, regardless of what the rest do. It's the Lions! Then again Carson Palmer led the bengals to their first win over Pittsburgh in about a hundred years with an amazing 5 minute drive so he'd be a contender.
    From box scores and higlights it's pretty hard to pick defensive players. But the Jets once again looked terrifying on defence. So i'd go with Bart Scott. But it's pretty much because that's the only full game I saw so it's pretty skewed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Offense: Carson Palmer
    Defense: Curtis Lofton, LB Falcons. 19 tackles :eek:
    Rookie: Percy Harvin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,187 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

rich1874 wrote: »
    The reason you can just dismiss the rest of the players and pick player of the week when there's still a game to go is because Matthew Stafford led the Lions to a victory. Stopping the 19 game slide! Come on guys surely that's worth a player of the week, regardless of what the rest do. It's the Lions! Then again Carson Palmer led the bengals to their first win over Pittsburgh in about a hundred years with an amazing 5 minute drive so he'd be a contender.
    From box scores and higlights it's pretty hard to pick defensive players. But the Jets once again looked terrifying on defence. So i'd go with Bart Scott. But it's pretty much because that's the only full game I saw so it's pretty skewed.

Where's this 19 game thing coming from? Stafford has only played 3 games for the Lions. So he had his first win. Big deal. He didn't even know the Lions existed this time last year, when they were compiling their impressive streak. Plus, he only beat the 'Skins. His D did most of the hard work.
    • Sanchez became the first rookie QB to open 3-0.
    • Favre threw a last second TD in what was his 272nd straight start.
    • Palmer: another great 4th quarter comeback win.
    • Mojo Drew: 3 TD

I'm sure there's more.

It's just player of the week; past history means squat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,904 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well I fancied Peyton Manning to have a big night againts the Cardinals. He threw for 379 yards and 4 tds, and all the tds went to different receivers.

On defence Dwight Freeney had a monster game also for the Colts. As much as I hate to praise the team that has given us the most trouble over the past decade these were two top performances.

That is true. And i know Stafford wasn't the sole reason for the Lions winning, But the fact he led the team (and what is still a pretty poor team) to their first win in 20 games(i'm well aware it was only HIS third game), is the biggest achievment this week. And as I already mentioned there are definitely players out there this week who performed statistically better. But a player of the week shouldn't be just down to stats. Carson Palmer had really a poor game overall but the one drive in the 4th quarter alone has led to him being mentioned several times on this thread, so i just think an achievement such as Stafford's entitles him to very honourable mention.

And yes the other players you mentioned all are contenders so no argument there. Maybe i jumped the gun by pushing so hard for Stafford but surely you can see where i'm coming from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 jackswitzer

Rich1874:
    I know Carson Palmer's stats aren't exactly stellar. I think though considering he's coming back from an arm injury it might take some time for him to fully recover his accuracy. Cincinnati hadn't won in 8 at home to Pittsburgh and he scored on two final drives, converting from 4th down twice shows an awful lot of coolness and class.
    Mind you, fair play Matt Stafford and Mark Sanchez. I love to see rookies, especially QBs, come in and make their sort of impact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Player of the week (this is still what this thread is about, no?) has to be Pierre Garçon, if only for his name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Headline about Detroit winning.
    "Washington Bails out Detroit Again."

Advertisement