Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corn Sugar

• 27-09-2009 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Where can I buy corn sugar for priming and for general brewing?
    I tried two different supermarkets today with no luck. Can I just use granulated sugar or caster sugar? Are they the same as corn sugar?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It'll be marked as Glucose in the supermarket, usually in the baking section:
    glucose.jpg

Granulated and caster sugar are different. They're fine for priming, but not recommended for general brewing unless you're doing something like a Belgian strong ale.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Mau5

Still couldnt find any glucose or corn sugar. Closest thing i could find was corn flour, very annoying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Mau5 wrote: »
    Still couldnt find any glucose or corn sugar. Closest thing i could find was corn flour, very annoying!

Table sugar is fine, the issue's around sugar use has been a poor yeast handling and fermentation cotrol. The yeast excreta invertase into the wort to hydrolyse sucrose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Mau5 wrote: »
    Still couldnt find any glucose or corn sugar.
    Did you ask? ask an older female member of staff, they always know where stuff like that is. In my tesco it is only in the babyfood section, in others it is in the baking section or with cooking chocolate.

I only used it once, too expensive, I brewed many moons ago with very little money to spare.

Advertisement