Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any conker trees in sligo

Options
  • 27-09-2009 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭

never seen any and have not had a conker fight in ages, not since i was in school, and that was a little while ago

if anyone knows of any, prehaps we could have an all sligo board conker fight competition, prehaps coenside it with a sligo meet up

what do ya's think

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

There's a conker tree in Doorly Park.

Good luck with the fight:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Beside Christies Garage, Marymount, first tree on the right, good conkers there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I used to live in Marymount when I was younger and used to get loads of conkers when I was younger, had some great fights with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Some opposite Ard Nua/Rua (not sure what it's called) near the IT. I know this as one fell on my head today :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

One of the girls in work told me today that the smell of conkers is a spider repellant. Anyone know if this is true? If it is I'm going getting a sack of them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

OT: when we moved into the house in Sligo we had a bunch of those massive "house" spiders. Mr Xiney is terrified of spiders and he bought some of this spider spray stuff from Mary's of Sligo. (This is the exact face I made: :rolleyes:)

And to be fair, we never had any other spiders for several months so it must have worked... or else winter killed them? Who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I love if I have a few spiders at home....at least it means you never have flies...

About conkers, I think there are some chestnut trees out near Woodville.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

we used to get them in the bishops garden- opposite the car park for the cathedral. it has been 30 years though since i collected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

irish-stew wrote: »

if anyone knows of any, prehaps we could have an all sligo board conker fight competition, prehaps coenside it with a sligo meet up

what do ya's think

Only if we can play marbles too. No steelies aloud, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Only if we can play marbles too. No steelies aloud, though.

stampies is allowed for the conkers though

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

irish-stew wrote: »
    stampies is allowed for the conkers though

:pac:

Stampies was a cruel, sadistic ending to any conker.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

il gatto wrote: »
    Stampies was a cruel, sadistic ending to any conker.

totally allowed in playground rules though

:pac::pac:

Advertisement