Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitting Ceiling Light

Options
  • 27-09-2009 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

I was trying to replace a 30 year old rose fitting in my ceiling so i could fit a new light shade. The wires coming from the ceiling now have no colours so i don't know which is live or neutral. I have 3 wires, one wire on its own and the other two were going into the same hole on the old fitting. Would i be right in assuming that the two wires together would be the live ones?
    Also it states on the install instructions for the new shade that i need an earth wire but i have none available. Is this really important as the previous rose did'nt have one? Any help would be great, tia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Electrical forum

The two wires together are probably the neutral, and the single is the feed from the switch. If you had a voltmeter you could check. For a standard ceiling rose light it wont really make a difference, its not polarity sensitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Davy wrote: »
    Electrical forum

The two wires together are probably the neutral, and the single is the feed from the switch. If you had a voltmeter you could check. For a standard ceiling rose light it wont really make a difference, its not polarity sensitive.

On the installation manual they are calling for an earth wire, do i really need this as i don't have one available???

mickger wrote: »
    On the installation manual they are calling for an earth wire, do i really need this as i don't have one available???

For a standard plastic ceiling rose i wouldn't be too worried about tbh, if it was a hanging metal fitting it would be a lot more important.

The type i'm fitting is the Ebo ceiling light from b and q. I could'nt find it on there website but this one is the closet to what its like http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?isSearch=true&fh_search=ebo+ceiling+light&x=0&y=0

mickger wrote: »
    The type i'm fitting is the Ebo ceiling light from b and q. I could'nt find it on there website but this one is the closet to what its like http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?isSearch=true&fh_search=ebo+ceiling+light&x=0&y=0

If the fitting has metal you should be putting an earth.

• Advertisement

Davy wrote: »
    If the fitting has metal you should be putting an earth.

The fitting itself is plastic but there are metal pieces in the dome. Would i need to find an earth somewhere in the attic and run it to the fitting as there is no earth available at the fitting at the moment?

Advertisement