Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom phone watch gsm

Options
  • 27-09-2009 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    I read through several pages on the sticky but didn't notice my question asnwered.

I have a gsm eircom alarm in my house but live in an area where mobile reception is bad. Is there any way to know if the unit has adequate coverage to function? e.g engineers configuration?

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

I am sure phonewatch would contact you if they were not getting any signals from you but give them a ring just to check.
    You'll need the eng code to check it yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭altor

congo_90 wrote: »
    Hey,
    I read through several pages on the sticky but didn't notice my question asnwered.

I have a gsm eircom alarm in my house but live in an area where mobile reception is bad. Is there any way to know if the unit has adequate coverage to function? e.g engineers configuration?

Thanks,

Hi congo,
    The gsm unit has lights inside which indicate the strength of the signal being received by the network provider. The gsm turns a sim card into a phone line making it possible to ring the monitoring station. If there is a problem with the signal you will hear the panel will say phone communication failure. The gsm should be tampered so you opening the gsm to check the signal strength will activate a tamper alarm on your system. The gsm communicates with the monitoring station so if there is a problem they should contact you and replace the sim with a different sim from a different network. They use meteor but another sim should solve any issues you have..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

altor wrote: »
    Hi congo,
    The gsm unit has lights inside which indicate the strength of the signal being received by the network provider. The gsm turns a sim card into a phone line making it possible to ring the monitoring station. If there is a problem with the signal you will hear the panel will say phone communication failure. The gsm should be tampered so you opening the gsm to check the signal strength will activate a tamper alarm on your system. The gsm communicates with the monitoring station so if there is a problem they should contact you and replace the sim with a different sim from a different network. They use meteor but another sim should solve any issues you have..

So essentially It would warn me if there was no signal so I've no worries? Is there any way to open the unit without the tamper going off or should I just leave it be and take it works?

So essentially It would warn me if there was no signal so I've no worries? Is there any way to open the unit without the tamper going off or should I just leave it be and take it works?

You should have no worries with it, the gsm is meant to send a signal to eircom every 24 hours to let them know it is working so if they dont receive this they should contact you. With regards opening the gsm, you would need a eng code for the panel because this will cause a tamper on the system.
    What you could do is ring eircom and get them to put the panel on test and send them in a panic off the system, this should communicate with eircom straight away as there is no delay when a panic is activated on the alarm system. You should hear the panel confirm that they have received this signal.
    Hope this helps..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

altor wrote: »
    You should have no worries with it, the gsm is meant to send a signal to eircom every 24 hours to let them know it is working so if they dont receive this they should contact you. With regards opening the gsm, you would need a eng code for the panel because this will cause a tamper on the system.
    What you could do is ring eircom and get them to put the panel on test and send them in a panic off the system, this should communicate with eircom straight away as there is no delay when a panic is activated on the alarm system. You should hear the panel confirm that they have received this signal.
    Hope this helps..

Thanks Altor. I may just do that and see if all is well. Just peace of mind cos the reception around here is crap!

• Advertisement

Thanks Altor. I may just do that and see if all is well. Just peace of mind cos the reception around here is crap!

Your welcome congo, there is no harm in checking. You should get them out to check your alarm too as your entitled to a free service visit which most people dont do..

Advertisement