Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to buy a music lover?

Options
  • 27-09-2009 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭

Alright guys,

one of my friends did me a big favour recently and I'd like to repay him in someway. He's big into music, plays acoustic guitar and piano. I'd like to buy him something he'd appreciate the likes of a good book. I'd have no idea where to start.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
    ~Dob

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

"Chronicles, Volume 1" by Bob Dylan.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kid V

deadhead13 wrote: »

Fantastic book!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

The OP's friend might not like Dylan :eek: Yes, there are some.

OP, unless you have a good idea (which you dont seem to have) of his tastes, then unimaginative as it may seem, a book tokan would be best IMO. That way you wont be wasting your money on something he does not like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

anything by animal collective....great band

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I'm a huge music lover and wouldn't really appreciate either of the gifts mentioned. As Rigsby suggested, you really would need to scope out his tastes a bit more if you want a serious suggestion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭The Swordsman

Like other posters have said, it depends on taste.

However, if your friend reads and likes a good Rock and Roll book try "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead: The Dirty Life and Times of Warren Zevon".

I don't think you need to be a fan (though I am) to enjoy this. I've lent it to a few people (one hadn't even heard of WZ) and they said they enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Not about music directly but Musicophilia by Oliver Sacks is a fantastic read for anyone interested in music. Basically it's a bunch of case studies by a neuropsychologist, each person has had some sort of damage to their brain and he has documented how that damage has changed their perception of music.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Rigsby wrote: »
    The OP's friend might not like Dylan :eek: Yes, there are some.

But the OP said their friend is a music lover??! :D

I know you said that they'd appreciate a book, but if they play music how about a voucher for a music store like xmusic? Could go towards a new guitar or what not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Its a great book alright, only read like 30 pages in library, will have to get around to buying it. :D
    Completely misread title of thread as " Want to buy a music lover?" Assumed you were prostituting them.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭rowlandbrowner

books,

Inner City Sound by Clinton Walker, it’s written about and during the aussie punk and post-punk scenes, full of photos, reviews and interviews from that time. Some of the bands and journalism are great, some not so great, but that makes it authentic, no retrospective sugar coating

http://www.innercitysound.com.au

Our Band Could Be Your Life by Michael Azerrad

The title is taking from a track by the “jackass theme tune” minutemen, amazing band, as are most chronicled within.
    May contain some hipster-posturing, but it’s mostly good. In the era of poor fidelity digital recordings et al you're not going to get scenes and bands like this so it’s place in history is just.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Band_Could_Be_Your_Life

otherwise, you can get a wooden xylophone for 40 euro, trout mask replica is going for 20 on 180 gram vinyl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Again, everyone is giving what they think the OP's friend would like, without knowing his musical tastes. For all we know, he could be a "Big Tom" or Dickie Rock fan. :D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 34 djvext

Buy him a nice plain black hoodie jumper thing. Winter is coming...

Chances are if he's a huge music fan he already has everything he wants and is watching the future release calendar carefully anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Bose earphones if you can stretch to it or something by sennheiser.

Advertisement