Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble with trespassers

Options
  • 27-09-2009 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Out this morning with my boom stick on some land I have permission to shoot, great size about 8 huge fields all joined together with high ditches and trees with a small wooded area all down one side. There is one gate in, trees and barbed wire around the perimeter but there are a few houses near by on left side. The place is heaving with rabbits that the farmer wants rid off, so I’m resting up against a ditch with two rabbits in my sights and they're side by side up against a ditch that runs through the middle. As I’m steadying my breathing and taking the slack up on the trigger a fricking spaniel bolts from around the ditch chasing my rabbits away! So as I stood up very startled I could see the dog owner just entering the opposite side of the field, so I withdrew and headed to car very shaky. I called farmer and asked if anyone else is aloud on his land that he might not of told me about, says no one else aloud. Said he has told people before to get off his land and was told to fook off by them! I have since put signs around the perimeter [that I downloaded from this site] stating keep out firearms in use. Don’t know what else to do, plus farmer doesn't want too much trouble because he is sure last lot cut the wire on his fence and some cows escaped. Should I take camcorder with me and approach any one I see trespassing? Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

personally i wouldn take the camcorder
    i would approach the guy and tell him that he has no permission to be on the land {in calm and collected way} and see what he says back
    if all else fails get his reg and report him

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I wouldn't think it's up to you to do anything. It's not your land - you just have permission to be on it. It's really up to the landowner to tackle trespassers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

who would be liable if you were unfortunate enough to hit the dog
    what would happen if they cliamed it was diliberate were they out shooting or just walking the land?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

endasmail wrote: »
    personally i wouldn take the camcorder
    i would approach the guy and tell him that he has no permission to be on the land {in calm and collected way} and see what he says back
    if all else fails get his reg and report him

Well technically you have the shooting rights of the land,so you should approach the person and notify them, put up signs saying private no shooting, any problems notify the GS that there are people Trespassing with a Firearm. This sounds more serious than shooting without permisson. It worked for me a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Bring a sheep with you, you may then shoot any dogs with impunity!

Or you could let the farmer police his own property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭EPointer=Birdss

Out this morning with my boom stick on some land I have permission to shoot, great size about 8 huge fields all joined together with high ditches and trees with a small wooded area all down one side. There is one gate in, trees and barbed wire around the perimeter but there are a few houses near by on left side. The place is heaving with rabbits that the farmer wants rid off, so I’m resting up against a ditch with two rabbits in my sights and they're side by side up against a ditch that runs through the middle. As I’m steadying my breathing and taking the slack up on the trigger a fricking spaniel bolts from around the ditch chasing my rabbits away! So as I stood up very startled I could see the dog owner just entering the opposite side of the field, so I withdrew and headed to car very shaky. I called farmer and asked if anyone else is aloud on his land that he might not of told me about, says no one else aloud. Said he has told people before to get off his land and was told to fook off by them! I have since put signs around the perimeter [that I downloaded from this site] stating keep out firearms in use. Don’t know what else to do, plus farmer doesn't want too much trouble because he is sure last lot cut the wire on his fence and some cows escaped. Should I take camcorder with me and approach any one I see trespassing? Any help would be appreciated.

You've done the signs. It's not your land to get into a legal arguement with cameras etc
    I would just walk over & say lads, private shooting here. Tell em the farmer has the place littered with poison for foxes & thats why you don't bring you dog. Should put the frighteners on em...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Do you not need to poster the land saying poison laid and does the farmer have to have a permit to lay poison now?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭buckshotbrolan

Thats spot on, just thinking what i would say to the fella next time i bump into him![even thou its a bluff!] I know its not my land but like most of ye i treat it as my own, check the fences bring home any rubbish i find lying around etc. The farmer lives a good few miles away so its the least i can do. Thanks for the help!

homerhop wrote: »
    Do you not need to poster the land saying poison laid and does the farmer have to have a permit to lay poison now?

I'm not saying to do it I'm saying tell the lads trespassing that it is. Bit of scare mongering...
    If they complain to the guards, then tell the guards you don't know what there on about & that they shouldn't be on the land in the 1st place.
    Win win cause you are doing nothing wrong only telling a white lie...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

I'm not saying to do it I'm saying tell the lads trespassing that it is. Bit of scare mongering...

Understand that, just wanted to see was it something I had imagined. Plus the fact its no harm to clarify these things. Murphys law and all that..;)

• Advertisement

homerhop wrote: »
    Understand that, just wanted to see was it something I had imagined. Plus the fact its no harm to clarify these things. Murphys law and all that..;)

I don't know if many lads are poisoning lands these days.
    I'm sure the rules & regs would be fairly strict in comparison to years ago.
    Sure i doubt poisons are readily available over the counter anyway...:P
    Since stricknine was banned is there anything half as lethal?
    I know of few lads that used use stricknine due to fox, lamb trouble & there wasn't a fox in the area! Poison is messy stuff though & even if it's hung up nearly anything fox size could get at it...:(
    If it could be done humanely & safely it would be 100 times more effective than lamping but doubt that's possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

I'd tell you "Sod off".

You can point out that it may not be the brightest idea to be walking when you have your shooting signs up. There are very few parts of the country that see tresspass as a crime.

maglite wrote: »
    I'd tell you "Sod off".

You can point out that it may not be the brightest idea to be walking when you have your shooting signs up. There are very few parts of the country that see tresspass as a crime.

Ha, you're not the one I'm on about are ya? :eek: Look I'm a very carefull person, and with lead flying around i don't want anything to go wrong. I've been doing this for a few years now and its something I've not come across. Just asking for ideas on making things a bit safer. Cheers.

I'd tell you "Sod off".

If you were walkin or if you were shooting you'd say sod off?
    And to who, the farmer of the fella telling you it was private land?

Would you shoot land you knew was part of a gun club if you weren't a member?

If I was walking,

If I had a gun i would not enter land without permission. I will and do shoot on land covered by a gun club with the permission of the farmer if I am not a member of a club.

If I was walking,

If I had a gun i would not enter land without permission. I will and do shoot on land covered by a gun club with the permission of the farmer if I am not a member of a club.

Fair enough this post makes sense. Came across a bit sh**ty in the other one lad but I agree with you now that clarified a bit...

The poster is saying that these other guys don't have permission & are hunting the place, hence his frustration which is very understanable, when he is keeping foxes down, fixing fences etc as he explained.

I did't think the other fella was hunting...

There is also no speculation that thi walker was doing damage.

I did't think the other fella was hunting...

There is also no speculation that thi walker was doing damage.

The person who is trespassing is after rabbits with his dog, plus i have found a few snairs around the field, and with all the fresh tracks im seeing it appears he's in there quite abit. Also he's made an entrance way in near the houses end by bending the wire up and breaking down a good few branch's, also the sign i put up infront off that entrance way has been removed!

The person who is trespassing is after rabbits with his dog, plus i have found a few snairs around the field, and with all the fresh tracks im seeing it appears he's in there quite abit. Also he's made an entrance way in near the houses end by bending the wire up and breaking down a good few branch's, also the sign i put up infront off that entrance way has been removed!

Puts the whole thing into context then doesn't it! :mad: Gas the way lads think they own the place & take down signs etc
    Dig a big hole where he's climbin over, fill with cow sh*t,cover it with plastic & leaves & leave him fall into it! :D:D
    On a serious note,
    Did you confront him yet?
    Did you remove his snares?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭pedroeibar

It’s down to how you handle it. In Ireland most people do not accept – wrongly - that trespassing is an offense. Ask the farmer who has given you permission if you can ask trespassers to leave. If he says “yes” you then have the right to ask any trespasser to leave. If the trespasser has a gun it is armed trespass and that is a criminal offense. As the representative of the owner you have the right to ask their name and address. The owner of the shooting rights has the right to prosecute and if successful, the trespasser can lose his property (gun or snare).
    Do not be confrontational, do it nicely, first time just say that an offense is being committed, point this out and say that next time the Gardai will be notified. That usually works. If it does not, start by removing the snares. If that does not discourage them, do what one guy I know does - he lets the air out of all four tyres of trespassers' cars if he is ignored.:D

Rs
    P

• Advertisement

pedroeibar wrote: »
    the right to ask any trespasser to leave
    you have the right to ask their name and address. The owner of the shooting rights has the right to prosecute and if successful,
    If it does not, start by removing the snares.
    lets the air out of all four tyres of trespassers' cars if he is ignored.:D

Source
    Source
    You dont have the rights to any shooting, you have permission
    Theft
    O so far we have and trespass, vandalism and intimidation with a gun,, I can see the court case. vs a dog chasing rabbits.

Its not your field. I would argue if the farmer knew it was a neighbor he would tell you Foxtrot Oscar.

Puts the whole thing into context then doesn't it! :mad: Gas the way lads think they own the place & take down signs etc
    Dig a big hole where he's climbin over, fill with cow sh*t,cover it with plastic & leaves & leave him fall into it! :D:D
    On a serious note,
    Did you confront him yet?
    Did you remove his snares?

When i was there yesterday admiring the removal of my sign i spotted the same dog being walked by a young girl, asked her if she has seen any one going into the field, she reply'd that her dad is allways in there after rabbits.So i ask'd her to tell her dad i have permission to be in there shooting and for him to kindly keep out for his own safety and his dog!I have taken down all snares.Don't really want a war on my hands coz its not my land plus hard to get land to shoot on where i live. Think i will just have to catch him in the act again and tell him face to face that its not safe, and that ill be putting some poison down for the fox problem! As ye say a little white lie can't hurt:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

..........I will and do shoot on land covered by a gun club with the permission of the farmer if I am not a member of a club.

Have you applied for membership of the club/s in these situations?

If you haven't, what you are saying is that if you are shooting game that a club has paid to stock the land with that you are happy to shoot it for free :rolleyes:

I have expressed an interest, and I dont shoot game.

Source
    Source
    Theft
    O so far we have and trespass, vandalism and intimidation with a gun,, I can see the court case. vs a dog chasing rabbits.

Its not your field. I would argue if the farmer knew it was a neighbor he would tell you Foxtrot Oscar.

Look you don't get it, these aren't the only fields i shoot on for this farmer and it anoys me that i do the right thing and get written permisson to be on his land[ and ya know farmers hate signing anything] and i let him know every time i go shooting on his land so the only person that should be there is me.I have told the farmer thart its a neighbor and he's said i can do what i want to stop this fella!But as i said i don't want a war

Source
    Source
    Theft

Nobody mentioned intinidation. Do some homework. Anyone carrying a gun should know their rights and responsibilities. Read http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1976/en/act/pub/0039/sec0044.html
    for starters.
    P.

Rather than posting an act. Do you want to specify exactly what you think is relivant.

Remember you ahve stated you have permission to hunt. Not the rights to hunt.

Rather than posting an act. Do you want to specify exactly what you think is relivant.

Remember you ahve stated you have permission to hunt. Not the rights to hunt.

:confused: I posted a link to Section 44 of the Act, which covers "Unlawful hunting or entry on land."
    What's the problem?
    P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

If there are as many rabbits as you claim you seem just a little selfish as I'm sure the farmer would be delighted no matter how the rabbits were removed.

The farmer might get tired of your pestering him and decide it's less hassle to get rid of you and let the other chap have all the rabbits :eek:

Maglite, I would not mind any lad shooting vermin and not being in the local club BUT if they are shooting game and refuse to join the local club that is another thing ;)

• Advertisement

If there are as many rabbits as you claim you seem just a little selfish as I'm sure the farmer would be delighted no matter how the rabbits were removed.

The farmer might get tired of your pestering him and decide it's less hassle to get rid of you and let the other chap have all the rabbits :eek:

Im far from selfish but it is a privilege i like to gard, but what im getting at is i let the farmer know when and where il be shooting.If this fella went to the trouble like i did by getting permission then we would know someone ells would be in the field and their would be less chance of an accident.After all its a grazing field with cattle not a designated dog walking area.

Advertisement