Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble with trespassers

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Maybe you could befriend this fella and work on the rabbit problem together. You cant have enough friends involved in the sport

Then ask him to text ya when ever he is heading out so you know you wont be in the same place at the same time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

..........its a grazing field with cattle not a designated dog walking area.

You could say the same for shooting :P

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭buckshotbrolan

Vegeta wrote: »
    Maybe you could befriend this fella and work on the rabbit problem together. You cant have enough friends involved in the sport

Then ask him to text ya when ever he is heading out so you know you wont be in the same place at the same time

I didn't even think about that approach! Only problem i can see is if other people see its ok for him to go in then it must be ok for everyone ells?
    I will definitely try and work with this fella, but i get the feeling he's gonna have the same attitude as Maglite. Thanks for all the help.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭EPointer=Birdss

I didn't even think about that approach! Only problem i can see is if other people see its ok for him to go in then it must be ok for everyone ells?
    I will definitely try and work with this fella, but i get the feeling he's gonna have the same attitude as Maglite. Thanks for all the help.:D

I genuinely have sympathy for you on this one.
    Few lads here giving you a hard time I think...:P

We have battles every year with lads shooting, duck, pheasants & a few rabbits that are around in our area. Sometimes signs visible from the roads are worse as it draws attention.
    Between 4 of us we must spend 5-6 nights a week & an unknown amount of money on raising pheasants, predator control, filling/checking hoppers etc & when someone wonders on passing out all the signs it is very frustrating. Some necks on em! One "harmless walker" used walk his terrier up the middle of the shoot every morning all year! Middle of laying to middle of shooting. You couldn't get within a field of some of the pheasants up that way they were gone so wild. Left alot of cocks around for this years breeding season which doesn't help the hens!
    We met him one day by chance whiles out for few foxes & our own terriers took a dislike to his, havn't seen him since!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭buckshotbrolan

I genuinely have sympathy for you on this one.
    Few lads here giving you a hard time I think...:P

Sure im not fussed its been fun;)Thank you for your positive input!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭J. Ramone

To give this chancer any leeway would be to take the attitude that all hunting/shooting should be a free for all regardless of the landowners wishes. If so, habiatat management for game, game rearing and predator control would not be worthwhile for any individual or group of individuals.

A landowner where this rule has come about by default will soon get fedup with broken fences and harried stock with no accounatability from anyone. Then a notice will be in the paper ending with the phrase "all previous permissions revoked".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 realcavanman

Hi folks , i have a sorta similar problem. I have a field that borders a lake. A guy walks through my land and shoots on the lake side. He has no permission to do so. When asked about it he said my father (now dead) had given him permission.Now he comes by boat and shoots on shore. He also says he can shoot on the foreshore without permission, is this right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Hi folks , i have a sorta similar problem. I have a field that borders a lake. A guy walks through my land and shoots on the lake side. He has no permission to do so. When asked about it he said my father (now dead) had given him permission.Now he comes by boat and shoots on shore. He also says he can shoot on the foreshore without permission, is this right?

Unless the lake is state owned and he has a forshore permit to hunt then he is not entitled to be there hunting

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Unless the lake is state owned and he has a forshore permit to hunt then he is not entitled to be there hunting

And the permit explicitly does not grant permission to access the foreshore via private lands in any case.

I don't know if the lake is state owned or not.Presume its not?? It forms part of the border with Fermanagh, northern/southern Ireland border. The lands surrounding the lake are owned by many different people/farmers.

What is foreshore license and what entitlements does it allow?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭iwsf

a foreshore license allows you to shoot on state owned lakes but as it was mentionned previously it does not permit you to cross the land to access the water. You require permission from the owner for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I don't know if the lake is state owned or not.Presume its not?? It forms part of the border with Fermanagh, northern/southern Ireland border. The lands surrounding the lake are owned by many different people/farmers.

http://www.npws.ie/en/media/NPWS/Publications/Legaldocs/Media,3685,en.pdf

The second page names the State lakes. Regarding the sea shore, as far as I'm aware a holder of such a permit is allowed to shoot from the low water mark to the high water mark along the shore but can't shoot from, or travel through someones land without their permission, permit or no.

So is it alright to come across the lake, land on the shore and shoot?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

is it not that the people who own the land around the lake own half way out in the lake and the same with of water that ajoins their land.
    this is the case with some land of ours and probably the same in most cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

ayapatrick wrote: »
    is it not that the people who own the land around the lake own half way out in the lake and the same with of water that ajoins their land.
    this is the case with some land of ours and probably the same in most cases.

Its simply a case of if you are able to access a state owned lake via a public right of way or road then you have accesss to shooting that lake if you hold a foreshore permit which covers that particular lake, if the lake were state owned then a person could in theory access a lake from one side via a public right of way and then cross it on boat to shoot the other side , after all they are on state owned waters and they have a permit to do so, Private lakes area different kettle of fish;)

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭lucy333springer

Thats spot on, just thinking what i would say to the fella next time i bump into him![even thou its a bluff!] I know its not my land but like most of ye i treat it as my own, check the fences bring home any rubbish i find lying around etc. The farmer lives a good few miles away so its the least i can do. Thanks for the help![/quote

This i would treat very carefully, some of these feckers are crazy, and if it gets into a little bit of squareing up with him and his three other buddies plus 5 dogs:eek:, they call guards, a hole nightmare of lies, your guns conficated, so on and forth, and really the the only unlawful thing they might be doing, is having a dog on farm ground without a lease, this could be a rambler, perfectlly legal, these guys could cause so much damage, gates, wire, animals, take a chill out pill, and cool for a short time. Good Luck.

Advertisement