Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Type 1 Diabetics! Especially males..

Options
  • 27-09-2009 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey every1,

Im goin unregged for this.
    Ive been dealing with this diabetes crap for years but I still cant figure out how to carry my meds around! I dont keep them in my pockets as the insulin basically goes off from the heat.

But I'm sick of carryin a rucksack with me everywhere, even into pubs and clubs! I guess I want one of those messenger bags or satchels. Been looking around Dublin for one, but selections poor and most are built for form over function. A bag that has buckles for fastening is great until I turn it upside down and needles start falling out!
    So what do you guys do and have you any ideas for me??

Thanks!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭LeoGilly

When ever I'm out and about i just have my insulin pen in my back pocket. I've never had a problem with the heat. Most of the pens are designed the stay cool for a while. You should be fine in the cooler months of the year. As for the blood checker i don't ever bring it out with me to pubs or clubs as i find there is no need. Check my blood before I head out and I'm sorted for the night!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Oh I cant stand having even more crap in my pocket in a place like a nightclub where stuff is lost vry quickly and youre moving around all the time. So I throw in my pens and a few needles into a friend's handbag usually. The pens are only good at looking like pens. Theyre dark and get hot in sunlight quickly and the plastic doesnt really keep much heat out either. But thats what I've seen.

Good point on the glucose meters while out but I kinda test when I feel my blood sugars aren't right instead of just routinely doing it. And Ive been told of the drunk diabetic having a hypo but no one believing him story a good few times now. So I only definitely check my bloods when I'm out on the lash anyway.

I'm glad you said your experiences cheers man!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I'm a pregnant type 1 and I carry a rucksack going anywhere (obviously I am not going to the the pub) - if someone has a problem that is their issue not mine.

I try to keep a low HbA1c and the only way of doing that is by a lot of testing, personally when I was drinking I woud test several times, the consequences of not would be too severe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

I don't drink as I'd rather not get hypo while out and have people think I'm drunk.

Bottom line is you need to test sugar to live a long and healthy life. If I don't have need for a bag I carry one of those 6-pack holders (I got it in woolworthds... back in 'the day') which is small, funky looking, cheap and keeps it slightly cooler (insulated ya see!) Also like Cathy - try not to care what others think. Just as no one should wrinkle their nose at a wheelchair no one should snub you because of insulin. It's a disease and a disability but you don't have to be disabled because of it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Its a case of don't carry them in your pocket (they are supposed to be below 30 degrees), don't leave them in sunlight (where they will heat up) and if you thermally abuse them- dump them immediately). The novorapid pens could potentially be redesigned to a different colour- the receptor pens for lantis are available in different colours- why not the novorapid pens?

OP- I'm not diabetic- but I do need to carry medication around with me too. It really is the case that you have to accept functionality over style- but if you go exploring on the web it is very possible to find all manner of tote bags, even a thermal bag for around your waiste.

Re your blood testing kit- its not that difficult to keep it tidy- use one of the mounted lances for your finger and don't keep too many spares in the kit. Put used test strips in a small plastic bag as you use them and transfer them to your biohazard box frequently. There is no reason that you should be pouring needles, lances and used test strips from your kit.

Take your testing kit with you though- if you're out and about and very active- possibly drinking, dancing etc- it will affect your sugars. If people have a problem with you doing a discrete test- thats their problem- not yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thx for the replies everyone, theyre appreciated!

Im pretty happy out with my blood testing regieme when I'm going out. Don't worry, I'm not gonna let some nosey people change what I do with testing. I think smcarrick didnt get what I mean by pouring needles. I mean that anything small thats in the bag will fall out, as theres nothing in place to keep everything in. Like a zip. So coins or pens etc are also affected by it. I already have a separate zipped "mini bag" just for used biohazards.

So yeah, I definitely dont care about what other people think about doing my thing in public:-) Im only bothered about what I can actually use for carrying everything. Women are so lucky! There's all kinds of stuff that Id like a bag for. Just not a rucksack where things like college books break them or else make it impossible to find small things...
    I tried Ebay yesterday and I was amazed at the lack of anything thats even better than what I saw in Dublin. I searched for "satchel" then looked under mens appearance. I didnt try other places tho, maybe theres some pointers for where I could look?

All the best!!

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

Hiya,
    The American market might have something but I don't know if that helps you?

However, I just had a brainwave (just the one), you might be able to sit down with someone who can sew and come up with a pouch that clips onto your belt??? If it's just for your meds you could make it look like a mobile phone case? If it was custom made you may be able to design one to fit a meter & strips too.

For more ideas try this link http://www.medicool.com/diabetes/diabetes_travel.php

Why isn't there more "stuff" available in this country?

Try ebay? The shipping will probably be murder- but you'll probably find something of interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

graflynn wrote: »
    Hiya,
    The American market might have something but I don't know if that helps you?

However, I just had a brainwave (just the one), you might be able to sit down with someone who can sew and come up with a pouch that clips onto your belt??? If it's just for your meds you could make it look like a mobile phone case? If it was custom made you may be able to design one to fit a meter & strips too.

For more ideas try this link http://www.medicool.com/diabetes/diabetes_travel.php

Why isn't there more "stuff" available in this country?

I got the Dia-Pak Deluxe from that site (http://www.medicool.com/diabetes/diabetes_travel_dipakdel.php) couldn't live without it tbh. In fact, I got a second one just in case. It's great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 padir

For pubs and Clubs i find my fiancees handbag is excellent :D but for everything else i carry insulin pens and testing kit to work in a bag / rucksac or else i leave them in the jeep and im never too far from that whenim not working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I was under the impression you could keep the pens at a relatively high temperature as long as you were using the insulin quick enough. I manage to store both my pens, my meter, strips and spare bits in a pocket of my motorcycle jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

I just looked up the leaflet for my insulin.

"NovoRapid Flexpen that is NOT being used is to be stored at 2 degrees C - 8 degrees C in the fridge. NovoRapid Flexpen that is being used or about to be used is not to be kept in the fridge. You can carry it with you & keep it at room temperature (not above 30 degrees C) for up to 4 weeks."

"NovoRapid must be protected from excessive heat and sunlight."

From the Lantus instructions.
    "Lantus that is NOT being used is to be stored at 2 degrees C - 8 degrees C in the fridge. Keep the cartridge in the outer carton in order to protect from light.

Lantus that is being used may be stored for a maximum of 4 weeks not above 25 degrees C away from direct heat or direct light. The cartridge in use must not be stored in a fridge."

In my experience there is a slight variation between the storage of the different types of insulin but not much.

graflynn wrote: »
    I just looked up the leaflet for my insulin.

"NovoRapid Flexpen that is NOT being used is to be stored at 2 degrees C - 8 degrees C in the fridge. NovoRapid Flexpen that is being used or about to be used is not to be kept in the fridge. You can carry it with you & keep it at room temperature (not above 30 degrees C) for up to 4 weeks."

"NovoRapid must be protected from excessive heat and sunlight."

From the Lantus instructions.
    "Lantus that is NOT being used is to be stored at 2 degrees C - 8 degrees C in the fridge. Keep the cartridge in the outer carton in order to protect from light.

Lantus that is being used may be stored for a maximum of 4 weeks not above 25 degrees C away from direct heat or direct light. The cartridge in use must not be stored in a fridge."

In my experience there is a slight variation between the storage of the different types of insulin but not much.
    The thing is, even if you have it near a radiator you could thermally abuse it - we were in Portual in June and the temperatures were in the mid 30's some of the time (luckily I had a cool bag), the thing is that you can need your insulin while out (eating etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I can see howq a radiator might mess things up a bit.
    I managed to partially freeze my insulin before when I was driving from Dublin to Cork in the middle of winter with the insulin cartridge in an outer pocket.
    I had to use it anyway for lack of alternatives.

kowloon wrote: »
    I can see howq a radiator might mess things up a bit.
    I managed to partially freeze my insulin before when I was driving from Dublin to Cork in the middle of winter with the insulin cartridge in an outer pocket.
    I had to use it anyway for lack of alternatives.

If you go into *any* pharmacy in the country- and can prove you're diabetic- they will give you insulin (they may ask that you photocopy your LTI booklet and send them a copy so they can get reimbursed- but they will definitely give you your insulin).

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭drzhivago

CathyMoran wrote: »
    The thing is, even if you have it near a radiator you could thermally abuse it - we were in Portual in June and the temperatures were in the mid 30's some of the time (luckily I had a cool bag), the thing is that you can need your insulin while out (eating etc).

got caught out with this, had laptop bag with me and next cartridges to use in it, nor problem in Ireland use them within a week out of fridge, heat in portugal screwed it up and ended up with DKA on the last few days of the holiday

drzhivago wrote: »
    got caught out with this, had laptop bag with me and next cartridges to use in it, nor problem in Ireland use them within a week out of fridge, heat in portugal screwed it up and ended up with DKA on the last few days of the holiday
    I always carry extra as spares that I keep in a thermally correct place. I would aslo suggest that you go to a doctor over there in future if the same thing happens, there should be no problem getting medication. (I always carry my prescription with me and a doctors letter), my mother and father in law live over there and we travel over there regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭drzhivago

I always carry extra as spares that I keep in a thermally correct place. I would aslo suggest that you go to a doctor over there in future if the same thing happens, there should be no problem getting medication.

Sugars were climbing, I took more insulin It didnt click that the insulin wasnt working

or two days get higher and then came home, another day home like that not thinking it was the insulin that was off

drzhivago wrote: »
    Sugars were climbing, I took more insulin It didnt click that the insulin wasnt working

or two days get higher and then came home, another day home like that not thinking it was the insulin that was off
    I suppose that I have had it so long (almost 25 years) and have been travelling extensivley...I know that you will be going doh afterwards but it is an easy mistake to make...if my bloods are off one of the first things I do would be to change the insulin (if there are not other vaild reasons). They have very cheap thermo bags (not the ones for freezing, that is just as bad) for less than a tenner in most of the Modellos over there.

I always carry extra as spares that I keep in a thermally correct place. I would aslo suggest that you go to a doctor over there in future if the same thing happens, there should be no problem getting medication.

I've had to go to a doc there a few times- never had any probs. Even ended up in A&E in Caldas da Rainha. Thank god my French is reasonable- it was a good language in common- outside of the tourist areas English is not as common as you'd imagine- and among the medical staff there- they all speak French......

Its a good idea to bring a phrase book and to have looked up things that you're likely to need on the net in advance :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement