Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade options

Options
  • 27-09-2009 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭

Hey guys

Was hoping to get some advice. I posted in the computers and technology forum recently about having attrocious fps while playing a new game (Aion). I recently got my brothers PC when he moved away so have been using that. The guys gave me various piece's of advice but nothing seems to have resolved the fps problems. Therefore I think the build might be a little outdated and was hoping for some cheap(ish) ideas to improve performance. The full build my brother got was as follows:

Tower: Gigabyte Triton GZ-XX1CA-SNS
    PSU: Corsair 620W ATX/EPS, 120mm fan, 8xSata, SLI
    Mobo: MSI P6N SLI Platinum, nForce-650i SLI, Socket-775, ATX, DDR2, Gb Lan, 2 x PCI-Ex 16
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0Ghz, 1333Mhz, Socket-775, 4MB
    Ram: OCZ Platinum DDR2 mPC6400 2048 kit, w/two 1024mb PC6400 XTC CL 4-4-4-16, Rev 2
    GPU: Evga GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB, GDDR3, HDCP PCI-Express 2xDVI-I, 320 bit
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint T166 500GB SATA216MB 7200RPM
    Floppy drive: Sony Floppy Drive 3.5' 1.44MB Black Internal
    DVD : Samsung DVD+RW Burner, SH-S182D, 18 x Dual DVDRAM 12x
    Monitor: LG 22" LCD L226WTQ-SF, 1680X1050, 3000:1, 2ms, DVI-D/VGA silver

Couple of questions though:

1: To improve performance easiest, should I just buy another 2GB of ram? Should that work? Obviously with only 32 bit vista, it wont all be counted?

2: The mobo is an SLI Mobo, is it a good idea to possibly get another GPU and go SLI? What are the replacement cards for the 8800 GTS? Will they work in SLI with this card?

3: Is there enough cooling to add those extra ram / GPU? Will the PSU handle it ok, 620 watt Corsair?

4: Finally, is the monitor good enough to last another while?

I kinda thought that this build would still be good enough for another while, but it seems judging from the performance I get in-game its nowhere near good enough?

What are the bottlenecks here, I presume its the RAM?

Thanks again for your help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

SK1979 wrote: »
    Hey guys

Was hoping to get some advice. I posted in the computers and technology forum recently about having attrocious fps while playing a new game (Aion). I recently got my brothers PC when he moved away so have been using that. The guys gave me various piece's of advice but nothing seems to have resolved the fps problems. Therefore I think the build might be a little outdated and was hoping for some cheap(ish) ideas to improve performance. The full build my brother got was as follows:

Tower: Gigabyte Triton GZ-XX1CA-SNS
    PSU: Corsair 620W ATX/EPS, 120mm fan, 8xSata, SLI
    Mobo: MSI P6N SLI Platinum, nForce-650i SLI, Socket-775, ATX, DDR2, Gb Lan, 2 x PCI-Ex 16
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0Ghz, 1333Mhz, Socket-775, 4MB
    Ram: OCZ Platinum DDR2 mPC6400 2048 kit, w/two 1024mb PC6400 XTC CL 4-4-4-16, Rev 2
    GPU: Evga GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB, GDDR3, HDCP PCI-Express 2xDVI-I, 320 bit
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint T166 500GB SATA216MB 7200RPM
    Floppy drive: Sony Floppy Drive 3.5' 1.44MB Black Internal
    DVD : Samsung DVD+RW Burner, SH-S182D, 18 x Dual DVDRAM 12x
    Monitor: LG 22" LCD L226WTQ-SF, 1680X1050, 3000:1, 2ms, DVI-D/VGA silver

Couple of questions though:

1: To improve performance easiest, should I just buy another 2GB of ram? Should that work? Obviously with only 32 bit vista, it wont all be counted?

2: The mobo is an SLI Mobo, is it a good idea to possibly get another GPU and go SLI? What are the replacement cards for the 8800 GTS? Will they work in SLI with this card?

3: Is there enough cooling to add those extra ram / GPU? Will the PSU handle it ok, 620 watt Corsair?

4: Finally, is the monitor good enough to last another while?

I kinda thought that this build would still be good enough for another while, but it seems judging from the performance I get in-game its nowhere near good enough?

What are the bottlenecks here, I presume its the RAM?

Thanks again for your help.

Have you got the latest Nvidia drivers? Checked the Aion forums for people with similar problems? Is it a Vista issue? Tried other games? If you haven't bought any, go download a demo and run the game. Perhaps its only that particular game itself.

Unless there is a faulty part, your hardware should be able to run nearly all modern games at decent fps on that monitor on that system.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Graphics card is a little weak but it shouldn't cause too much of an issue unless you maxed out every graphical setting in Aion. Most likely bad drivers or bad install.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭SK1979

Thanks guys, I've been trying a number of things to improve performance like updating the GPU drivers (the driver installed was 2007!) but this didn't seem to work. Is there any chance going to a different driver might help? There are also a load of crap applications installed which I'm trying to get rid off, so far no improvement.

I dont think the game itself is a particularly graphic intensive game, the minimum and recommended specs are well within the PC performance. Even in-game pressing the "suggested" settings puts things to nearly max settings. For a few mins then the FPS are great (between 60 - 90) then they keep dropping to 1 - 2 and this happens every 5 secs.... Impossible to play.

Would re-installing the OS make any difference?

Advertisement