Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modding in the Rugby Forum

Options
  • 27-09-2009 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭

In today's match thread I made a comment about a Munster player chocking and hitting a player from behind. I did not insult the player in any way merely said it was thuggery and I hope he got a ban for that. Ruggie then decided to delete the comment. Now have we really got to the stage where if a Munster player commits an act of thuggery for all to see it can't even be mentioned? Its a valid point. But whatever, Ruggie PM'd me to say he didnt want it in the Munster match thread in case it derailed it. So instead I started a new thread mentioning all the acts of thuggery we've seen in rugby so far this year (mentioning not only tonights inciddent but the Parrise inciddent, the Quinlan inciddent, the Rhys Thomas inciddent and the Du Preez inciddent) Essentially asking teh question is thuggery creeping into rugby. This thread was swiftly deleted not 30 seconds after I made the time to type it up. Why? To be honest its a disgrace
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

yep...helpdesk i reckon.

The incident was little more than handbags. Your completely over the top condemnation was just ridiculous and imo just flamebaiting munster fans. It added nothing to the thread and would have in fact derailed the match thread. I asked that you not post in the thread again.

you then started a new thread in which the first thing you posted was a pop at the moderation. i deleted this post/thread.

You then complained about the moderation again on the match thread. i deleted this post and have banned you from the rugby forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Moderation complaints should really be placed in the Help Desk

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

reopened.

Thread is not discussing the users banning, but a discussion on the moderating on a forum.

A discussion point, not a helpdesk point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Size=everything

RuggieBear wrote: »
    yep...helpdesk i reckon.

The incident was little more than handbags. Your completely over the top condemnation was just ridiculous and imo just flamebaiting munster fans.

Little more than handbags? He choked the player from behind and hit him it deserves to be condemned as if it happened on the street it would be assault. Just because I was condemning an act of thuggery that happened to be by a Munster player doesn't mean I'm flamebaiting Munster fans.
    It added nothing to the thread and would have in fact derailed the match thread. I asked that you not post in the thread again.

On match threads we discuss what happens during the match but for some reason we can only discuss what happens during Munster games if its positive. You deleted my post and then banned me from posting again simply for pointing out an inciddent clearly shown on everyone's screens.
    you then started a new thread in which the first thing you posted was a pop at the moderation. i deleted this post/thread.

I didn't have a pop at moderation I simply mentioned the inciddent however said I couldn't be specific as when I attempted to talk about the specifics in another thread I had my post swiftly deleted and me banned from posting in the thread. I also talked about other thuggery inciddents from players that year in that thread yet within 10 seconds of posting it (which took me awhile a type up) it was deleted.

You then complained about the moderation again on the match thread. i deleted this post and have banned you from the rugby forum.

I'm not complaining about my banning I decided to post again in that Munster thread as a sign of protest for your ridiculous deleting of my comment and warning me not to post again in a thread unless its positive for Munster. This is a disgrace to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Stumbled across this thread by accident and decided to investigate a little further having been a victim of over sensitive mods in Rugby before.

This banning is easily the most ridiculous ive seen on boards. The mods of rugby are known for being clowns and I seriously think a review should be undertaken.
    If they cant let people fairly speak their mind, they arent fit at doing their job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Ha!

Size=everything.

This is your third ban from Rugby in as many months.

I'd have perma-banned you tbh.

Stevo, "known for being clowns"? How so?

Give a few examples of clownish modding, or stfu tbh.

Also, on your "a review should be undertaken." and "they arent fit at doing their job".

Yeah. Um.

We aren't paid you know. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

only1stevo wrote: »
    Stumbled across this thread by accident and decided to investigate a little further having been a victim of over sensitive mods in Rugby before.

How could you investigate whats going on here when all posts made by the OP where deleted by RuggieBear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

Stev_o wrote: »
    How could you investigate whats going on here when all posts made by the OP where deleted by RuggieBear.

Looks like the real Stevo has taken offence ;)

Personally I think the rugby mods are doing a pretty good job and are balancing the fine line between allowing constructive criticism and clapping down on trolling/baiting.

The problem with the forum at the moment is that there are a couple of posters who a little to "passionate" about their respective province and can't handle criticism of the province or players. These same posters seem to also take a childish delight in blasting any other province.

S=E is right at the top of the list of these types of posters. For every good discussion he has started there are about the same amount of threads he's derailed with the whole Johnny Sexton is great, ROG sucks comments. He'd be an excellent contributor if only he'd tone down the rabid leinster fanboyism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I said before, and I'll say again.

If *everyone* in the Rugby Forum stopped taking comments about their province as the worst case scenario then it would be a much better place.

Like, it's impossible for people to legitimately criticise Player A from Province X without some idiot starting "yeah well Player C from YOUR province is shít, so stfu" type comments.
    :rolleyes:

Children.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Des wrote: »
    Like, it's impossible for people to legitimately criticise Player A from Province X without some idiot starting "yeah well Player C from YOUR province is shít, so stfu" type comments.
    :rolleyes:

Children.
    Des wrote:

Yeah, those kinda comments are childish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,406 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Des wrote: »
    Ha!

Size=everything.

This is your third ban from Rugby in as many months.

I'd have perma-banned you tbh.

Stevo, "known for being clowns"? How so?

Also, on your "a review should be undertaken." and "they arent fit at doing their job".

Yeah. Um.

We aren't paid you know. :rolleyes:

Des, you infracted me in the rugby forum for a post about the South African armband protest, where I said that it made them look like 'morons'. I PM'd you to point out that Amabokke had made a post a few days earlier calling Jean DeVilliers a 'moron', for which no action was taken. You didn't bother to replying to my PM. So is it a case of one rule for some, and another for others?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

the moderation of the rugby form is fine. Yes it maybe modded a little heavied handed compared to others but this is simply down to the amount of muppertary that goes on in the form at times.

From what Ruggie says S=E commented on the modding in the new thread, seriously a rookie mistake but the fact that you have been banned before should mean that you have more cop on then that, if not then it looks like you will never learn your lesson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Size=everything

the moderation of the rugby form is fine. Yes it maybe modded a little heavied handed compared to others but this is simply down to the amount of muppertary that goes on in the form at times.

From what Ruggie says S=E commented on the modding in the new thread, seriously a rookie mistake but the fact that you have been banned before should mean that you have more cop on then that, if not then it looks like you will never learn your lesson.

As had already been stated this is not about my banning but the fact that I had a post deleted and was banned from posting in a thread simply because I said something negative about a Munster player and by negative I don't mean calling him names all I said was : (In response to O'Gara choking and hitting a player from behind) That was a cowardly act of thuggery by O'Gara hope he gets a ban for that.

Ruggie then deleted my post, banned me from that thread as he said it would derail the match thread (So essentially any Munster criticism is banned in the forum because of a select few posters who like to throw a hissy fit when everything isn't all positive reviews)

I started a new thread involving various acts of thuggery by players in world rugby asking the question was thuggery creeping into the game and this thread was without warning deleted simply because I happened to mention two Munster player's who were caught out (along with an Italian player, a South African player etc.)

So essentially we have got to the stage where you can't voice any opinions on Munster unless positive. Honestly do we really have to appease a few posters who can't discuss rugby unless its positive for their team?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

We've had a long discussion previously here about the Rugby forum and moderation. As a frequent reader and contributor of the forum I'm happy that the changes we've made (addition of several new moderators) have improved the forum. As it is the start of the new rugby season, and there is a massive inter-pro this weekend (Leinster v Munster) we are going to see more people getting out of line this week than normal.

The Rugby forum can be very boisterous at times and it can be difficult to moderator. It is often the case that a single decision seems unfair until you review a poster's history of comments which are often a number of borderline comments leading to a banning for an incident that seems harsh when viewed stand-alone. As an admin, I am very happy that we have some of the best mods on boards, including a Cat Mod, working on this forum, and I trust them 100% to deal fairly with all issues.

WWM, I agree with Buffy's original decision and so I am closing this thread. OP, if you wish to make a complaint about the specific decision in this case, please open a new Help Desk thread.

If anyone else has a specific complaint about a moderation decision on the Rugby forum (or any other forum) please open a new HD thread for that issue and it will be reviewed by the admin team.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement