Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I avoid Claregalway?

Options
  • 27-09-2009 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Hi,
    Was just wondering if I'm heading towards Mayo from Clare, is it possible to avoid the mayhem evening traffic at Claregalway? Are there any shortcuts? Last time I was there, I lost 25 mins and managed to travel 1km.

Thanks!:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

Hi,
    Was just wondering if I'm heading towards Mayo from Clare, is it possible to avoid the mayhem evening traffic at Claregalway? Are there any shortcuts? Last time I was there, I lost 25 mins and managed to travel 1km.

It's possible to avoid claregalway but im not sure if you'd save anytime plus it would be very easy to get lost

When you come to the gort roundabout in galway head the dublin road east take the turn for athenry from there take the r347 i think to tuam, the road itself isnt great and as i said it's very easy to get lost

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

So you don't get lost head out the N6 For Dublin and take the turn for Athenry and from Athenry head to Tuam.

You will avoid Claregalway but I don't think its too bad now with the traffic lights.

What time are you hitting Claregalway potentially?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Shadow Dancer

Thanks Lucky Frank and Berty!;). I'd be coming into Claregalway between 5 and half 5 in the evening. Last time i was there it was a nightmare. It was just such a volume of traffic.

Thanks! I'll certainly have a look at that. Thanks again!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Hi,

Where in Mayo? Shrule, Balinrobe or Cong and you would be better off turning left at the lights in Carnmore and right after that brings you to the Headford road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Was in Galway last Thurs and Fri... Jeez couldn't believe the tailback in Claregalway both days. Hard to believe it was never bypassed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Moved from motors

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

From oranmore, straight through Carnmore lights, then next right to Cregmore cross, then left onto N 63, straight through crosssroads brings you back to N 17. Save you a lot of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭8kvscdpglqnyr4

I take this road quite a bit. Here are 3 links. The first is the direct route. The 2nd is an alternative. The 3rd is the one I take - I find it best.

Oranmore - Tuam via Claregalway

Oranmore - Tuam via Carnmore

Oranmore - Tuam ... short Claregalway bypass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭leex

I take this road quite a bit. Here are 3 links. The first is the direct route. The 2nd is an alternative. The 3rd is the one I take - I find it best.

Oranmore - Tuam via Claregalway

Oranmore - Tuam via Carnmore

Oranmore - Tuam ... short Claregalway bypass

I use option 3 quite often also. Same route as what Galwayrsuh suggests.

Important landmark to note is the school in front of you at the crossroads where you need to go left.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Shadow Dancer

Thanks to ye all for the replies! Very helpful:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement