Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fun things to do in Cork???

Options
  • 27-09-2009 8:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hey everyone.....can anybody suggest something fun to do with my girlfriend that doesn't involve drink for a change???lol

Apart from the obvious cinema and pub there isn't much else to do.....or am i wrong???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I like fota the odd time , the mardyke is good for bowling pool and a few games . Eat out a bit lots of early bird specials and stuff at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

You're right, there isn't much to do. Do you have a car? If so, perhaps visit the county of Cork, because the city has nothing to offer, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

I like fota the odd time , the mardyke is good for bowling pool and a few games . Eat out a bit lots of early bird specials and stuff at the moment.

yea but it's full of posh people and kind of overpriced. and the bouncers are pricks

You're right, there isn't much to do. Do you have a car? If so, perhaps visit the county of Cork, because the city has nothing to offer, really.

but don't go to killavullen, or buttevant, or shanballymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 padraiglc

Yes I have a car but again thats very predictable and not that much fun!!:-(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

unless your into a bit of dogging

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭kart

well, surelty the answer to that also depends on what are your interests like. What kind of entertainment your looking for and all..
    But yea for a stroll Fota is a great place really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Saltour Sossiez

soundsham wrote: »
    unless your into a bit of dogging

I'm interested. Where? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

padraiglc wrote: »
    Yes I have a car but again thats very predictable and not that much fun!!:-(

Then you are simply not making the effort or willing to use your imagination.

Here. Enjoy the rest of your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Take a drive down the West Cork coast (Kinsale - Clonakilty - Schull), there is some lovely scenery in West Cork.

Like what other people said here...use your imagination...I can't see how anyone can complain about being bored...but maybe that's just me :)

Depends on your budget too really, there is whale watching trips available down in Union Hall / Glandore, also some nice boat trips available.

I don't think there will be much sightseeing type things for you to do around the city, Fota was already suggested which in my opinion is lovely.

There are also some nice walks around the city, I love Fitzgeralds park, nice for a stroll with a coffee from the Riverside cafe. Another nice walk is along the marina near Blackrock.

My wife recently gave birth and so for the previous 9 months or so we were both off the drink. Not once were we bored so there is plenty to do. It's what you make of it yourself, if you get on well then walking and getting outside is a great way to spend time together.

Otherwise, take up an extra hobby or interest which you can share together...for example take more of an interest in cooking and experiment a little more!

Other option would be to go a little further and take up something like salsa dancing classes together, fencing classes, join a gym, volunteer some time, etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 gratusa

Yeah agree loads of early birds in the restaurants at the moment

but you could also...
    • Visit a museum
    • Take salsa classes
    • Take any other recreational class....such as Painting, Cooking, Learn a language
    • Take a cookery course together
    • Go hiking/hill-walking
    • Visit a farmers market at the weekend - always a great day! honestly!
    • The theatre....it's live cinema!
    • Bowling
    • Karaoke - kpods at the mardyke

Become a tourist for the day...visit the butter museum, go to the Midleton Distillery, visit the womens gaol...

Loads to do...once you're open to new things.....:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 good4it.ire

ring the shandon bells, view the city skyline.. really enjoyable.
    you can do a cruise around kinsale harbour (view charlesfort & james fort). highly recommend it.. it might be out of season, but give it a try anyhow

Also, isn't there a 'sea safari' trip thingy operating on the Lee from outside the Clarion hotel now? Heard some people in work saying that it was quite good.

Also, if the weather is nice Millstreet Country park is a lovely spot for a picnic, in my opinion it doesn't get enough publicity, it's a lovely hidden gem. Has a website if anyone is interested, google will find it I'm sure.

Also, try water skiiing out on Farran lake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭kart

Go to Crosshaven -enjoy the breeze and if your budget allows, rent a boat - try some rowing on river or near the harbour.
    There is a railway village in Clonakilty (doesn't matter you are not child or teenager, it's a great place to be at) as well as Owenahincha beach and Rosscarbery bay: two of them are only separated by the short walk over the hill, theres a nice road for walkers, so you don't need to worry even if you happened to go there with your best Prada shoes:)
    View from the top of it is splendid!!!
    Inetrested in astronomy? Wanna see the stars? Amazing experience from Blackrock castle. Tho i have to say it is perfect to spark an interest to astronomy and universe, but don't quite cut it if you are already heavily into it and looking for more...

P.S. Igot some cool ideas from everyone who have posted here. Keep them coming!

kart wrote: »
    Go to Crosshaven -enjoy the breeze and if your budget allows, rent a boat - try some rowing on river or near the harbour.
    There is a railway village in Clonakilty (doesn't matter you are not child or teenager, it's a great place to be at) as well as Owenahincha beach and Rosscarbery bay: two of them are only separated by the short walk over the hill, theres a nice road for walkers, so you don't need to worry even if you happened to go there with your best Prada shoes:)
    View from the top of it is splendid!!!
    Inetrested in astronomy? Wanna see the stars? Amazing experience from Blackrock castle. Tho i have to say it is perfect to spark an interest to astronomy and universe, but don't quite cut it if you are already heavily into it and looking for more...

P.S. Igot some cool ideas from everyone who have posted here. Keep them coming!

...will pick up from where kart left off....

After your walk along the Warren beach in Rosscarbery pop in to the quaint village for a nice lunch, then continue on the short drive to Glandore and Union Hall, the bay is stunning there at any time of the year. Enjoy the views with a coffee outside one of the few bars there.

Also, between Rosscarbery and Glandore there is an ancient stone circle right on the coast, very interesting and lovely views.

Also, what's a really different thing to do is to take a kayak trip in to some of the caves around Union Hall and see some glow warms light them up in the dark.

Union Hall also has some lovely seafood restaurants, being a fishing port you can rest assured that it's fresh :)

We really do live in a lovely county, sometimes it's fun to do the touristy things, my wife is from Cork and we moved here 4 years ago and love it, can't see myself living anywhere else!

kart wrote: »
    There is a railway village in Clonakilty (doesn't matter you are not child or teenager, it's a great place to be at)

Don't want to start a big debate on this but I don't see what the attraction with the Railway village is at all. It's advertised hugely but in my opinion it's not great at all.

We had some friends visit us with their 3 year old last year and we took him to see it, he spent most of the time inside playing on the kids slide!

A lot of work probably went in to creating it but I just don't get the attraction in it, it probably took us about 5 mins to walk around it.

The tourist train is good for kids though. The new (ish) tourist train in Kinsale is very good though, the driver/guide is very good at his job. It takes you up to Charlesfort which is great except you have to pay in to it, from what I can remember it's quite expensive for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Dankoozy wrote: »
    yea but it's full of posh people and kind of overpriced. and the bouncers are pricks

Iv never seen "posh people " in there except around christmas with parties in there , drinks seem standard enough prices for town and pitchers of beer and beer and bowling deals are good , i nor any of my firends have ever had hassle from bouncers in there .

Advertisement