Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castlemartyr Hotel - 1L of water €13

Options
  • 27-09-2009 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭

Some friends just came back from a weekend away in Castlemartyr Hotel.
    A litre of water served with their dinner was €13 :eek:
    Absolutely no excuse in the world for this outrageous price.
    So beware of the 'special offers' for that hotel, you'll pay for it in other ways!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Castlemartyr came up on this board a few weeks ago with an allegation of €16 house wine. Turned out to be quite false. The hotel confirmed it was €7.50

So, in fairness to the hotel, are you sure?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055632819

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

That's what they told me!
    In fairness, they said the food, service and rooms were fantastic, but they also said 1L bottle of water with dinner was €13!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Given that you can wander into any major branch of supermarkets here or on the continent and pay EUR40-50 for a bling bottle of water- its a case of caveat emptor. If you want a jug of water- ask for a jug of iced tap water- if you want mineral water- ask to see the drinks menu......

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

gman2k wrote: »
    Some friends just came back from a weekend away in Castlemartyr Hotel.
    A litre of water served with their dinner was €13 :eek:
    1L bottle of water with dinner was €13!
    So what was it, "a litre of water" or a 1L bottle of water. Because they could be 2 different things like 4x250ml or 5x200ml bottles is a litre and I would expect it to be around €13.

If you don't look at menus you have only yourself to blame, businesses will take full advantage if you are foolish enough not to check.

rubadub wrote: »
    So what was it, "a litre of water" or a 1L bottle of water. Because they could be 2 different things like 4x250ml or 5x200ml bottles is a litre and I would expect it to be around €13.

If you don't look at menus you have only yourself to blame, businesses will take full advantage if you are foolish enough not to check.

ehh, they told me it was one litre of water in a bottle - clear enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

To be fair to the OP , I don't think most people look at the prices for things like water in a restaurant , although perhaps we should.

Even if it was 5* 200 ml , thats over 2 euro 50 a bottle , thats steep enough TBH.

Davidth88 wrote: »
    To be fair to the OP , I don't think most people look at the prices for things like water in a restaurant , although perhaps we should.

Even if it was 5* 200 ml , thats over 2 euro 50 a bottle , thats steep enough TBH.

You'll pay EUR2 for a 200-500ml bottle of water even in a fast food outlet (just checked- its 2.50 for a bottle of still water in Harry Ramsdens- and they don't have 'drinking water'). It may be steep- but its standard. It really is a case of caveat emptor.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

What brand of water was it? Was the price on the menu? Was tap water available?

smccarrick wrote: »
    It really is a case of caveat emptor.

This non-argument could be used against all threads in this 'Rip Off Ireland' subforum, but it's not.

I still say, that €13 is a rip off price for water. Be it bottled, jugged, canned whatever.

ehh, they told me it was one litre of water in a bottle - clear enough?
    It is now, from your first post I was unsure, and it is the sort of thing people might purposely leave out to exaggerate how much of a rip off it was. €13 seemed very high, it made far more sense to me that it might be several bottles. Your second post said 1L bottle but I wanted to be certain.
    This is why certain businesses are forced to fully display prices, like hairdressers, restaurants and pubs. The gov realise the tradition or not asking prices in places like these so made laws to aid the consumer.
    This non-argument could be used against all threads in this 'Rip Off Ireland' subforum, but it's not.
    The argument is VERY often used in the rip off forum. I would like to see a stickied post in that forum with a definintion of a rip-off, since many people disagree about what constitutes a rip off. Like there have been 2 posts in the rip off forum
    1. saying eddie rockets was expensive
    2. sayind eddie rockets do not give the 1/3lb burger they claim to.

IMO only the second instance is a ripoff.

• Advertisement

MarkR wrote: »
    What brand of water was it? Was the price on the menu? Was tap water available?

Brand = Buxton
    Price was on the menu
    Tap water not available

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Tap water not available ???

Is that legal ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

That's crazy - if someone ordered a Powers & water you can bet your bottom dollar that tap-water would have been available!

I suppose you could ask for a jug of ice with four glasses & wait for it to melt:pac:

Tap water not available ???

Is that legal ?
    Yes it is legal, a similar topic came up before about fast food places like subway refusing to give tap water. Most takeaway or fast food places will not give out tap water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

I would like to see a stickied post in that forum with a definintion of a rip-off, since many people disagree about what constitutes a rip off.

No need, the forum has a charter. The following was posted when the forum was created:
    Typedef wrote: »
    Following popular demand and the general evolution of discourse here, note the name change.

Now called Rip-Off Ireland.

For discussion about inflation, inflationary exploitation, lack of movement on addressing inflation and associated topics.

The forum was created with the intention of discussing far more than just breaches of the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

smccarrick wrote: »
    Brand = Buxton
    Price was on the menu
    Tap water not available

Price was on the menu?
    Then I don't see the problem, if someone is dumb enough to order an expensive item when they can see the price they deserve to part with their money

Advertisement