Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

carpenter has dream of being a teacher... How??

• 27-09-2009 10:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭

hey all, im just wondering if someone could give me some advice on the following matter. (its on behalf of a friend)

i know someone who has been fully qualified in carpentry for the last couple of years. he has always had the idea of becoming a woodwork teacher and Tech Drawing teacher and now really wants to do it.. (he is 24)
    problem is though that he didnt do the leaving certificate..

so he is wondering how can he get into woodwork teaching from being a carpenter and not having done the leaving cert..

will he have to go back and sit the leaving cert

thanks in advance all
    :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

He could apply as a mature student to UL or GMIT(Letterfrack) to do Woodwork/Tech Drawing teaching. Once he is over 23 he is eligible to apply as a mature student and does not have to have a leaving cert. Mature student application normally would have to be in early enough, by February 2010 I'd imagine

UL:

http://www2.ul.ie/web/WWW/Services/Marketing/Undergraduate_Course_Guide/Education_&_Health_Sciences/LM094_Bachelor_of_Technology_(Education)_in_Materials_%26_Construction_Technology

GMIT:

http://www.gmit.ie/letterfrack/programmes/bsc-design-hons.html

i don't know anything about the GMIT course, it's relatively new, the UL one is long established for the last 30ish years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭maggie_cork

cool, thanks so much for your help..

do you think he would have to do the whole 4 years in UL or would be able to do the graduate Dip in technology? if you dont know its ok!! i have emailed UL but no reply yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

He'd have to do the four years I'd say. He wouldn't qualify for the grad dip because he doesn't have a degree in woodwork. There were a number of mature students doing the woodwork teaching degree every year when I was there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Seems like a long course alright! Are they tailored for students with no background knowledge and would it be shorter for those who have been qualified/educated elsewhere in the field I wonder?

ya exactly.. i can see that he would probably have to do the 4 year course, but thats very long- hope it doesnt turn him off.. it would be ideal if there was another way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I was interested in it too before and it definitely turned me off that it's 4 years! I reckon I'd be a good teacher too :P

cool.. lenght is defo a balls!!! must keep tryin to get more info though.
    im doing a degree at the moment myself and hopefully the Hdip next year so guess we all have teaching in the brain!!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭dg647

I done that course in UL. He definitely would have to do the 4 year course. A friend of mine on the course was the exact same as your friend, qualified carpenter, over 24. Had to do the full 4 years. Just to let you know jobs are scarce also at the moment. Roughly 60/70 graduating every year with no where near that amount of jobs.

ok cool, thanks. oh ya he is aware of the graduation numbers alright..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭niall3r

oh how the times are a changing. I have a neighbour who is lecturing (something with electronics) in the IT back home who didnt finish secondary school. . . he got an apprenticeship and into the RTC as it was at the time, and when it became an IT was kept on.

Thats probably an irrelevant observation though. . .sorry.

• Advertisement

if only it was like that now :(

Advertisement