Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bramall Lane & The Riverside

• 27-09-2009 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Hey guys,

I moved to York in England 5 weeks ago (Im doing a PhD at the university) but went to Sheffield last weekend and got a free tour around Bramall Lane (Sheff. Utd.), and I went to Middlesbrough today and got a free tour around The Riverside Stadium too! There were no official tours for Bramall Lane but I just walked in and asked the security guy if I could see the pitch. He seemed very bored just sitting there and decided to bring me around. He locked the main entrance and brought me up to the executive boxes only though.

At the Riverside Stadium today, I arrived but had missed the only tour that they have on Sundays. The guide still brought me around though (for free) and I saw the dressing rooms and walked out onto the pitch! The away team's dressing room was noticealy smaller and made of 'dodgier' equipment than the home team's. The guide said that all teams do this as a psychological tactic. I'd never have guessed that this goes on behind the scenes...

Kevin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

"Sportsmanship" like this has always gone on from poorer facilitates and no hot water for showers to the ridicules like sending prostitutes to the opposing teams hotel to try cause trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

L shaped rooms were another common one. As well as placing the dressing room near the home fans or piping in noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Hmm, I notived that L-shape alright in the away room. The home team one had tactics boards on the walls too and was just one big open area. There was a drinks machine too that the 'Boro players [apparently] recently had installed! The treatment benches too were noticeable: In the 'Boro room, they were reclinging and were sturdy; but in the away room, they were just flat and weren't very sturdy (as the guide demonstrated).

Still, all of this didn't do 'Boro any good last year, did it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Kevster wrote: »
    Hmm, I notived that L-shape alright in the away room. The home team one had tactics boards on the walls too and was just one big open area. There was a drinks machine too that the 'Boro players [apparently] recently had installed! The treatment benches too were noticeable: In the 'Boro room, they were reclinging and were sturdy; but in the away room, they were just flat and weren't very sturdy (as the guide demonstrated).

Still, all of this didn't do 'Boro any good last year, did it.

I cant see what reclining treatment benches have to do with fielding a motivated team either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

In my opinion, as a manager if you believe in your team, you don't need all this bull**** to upset/annoy the opposition.

• Advertisement

It's the psychological aspect of having inferior equipment than the home team. Then again, I can easily see how all of this bull**** could go against the home team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Do modern stadiums use these methods anyone been to OT or the emeriates?
    Clubs like these might not feel the need to mess with people's heads because they are able to play better football then smaller clubs like middlesbrough and sheffield wed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The top grounds can't do this anymore as far as I know - the likes of The Emirates and OT put themselves forward for hosting UEFA finals and World Cup games etc, and as part of this must have identical home and away dressing rooms (though I suppose the staff could kit out the away dressing room badly for home club games, and switch off the hot water :)).

Done the Santiago Bernabeu tour and they only allowed you into the Away dressing room but they said that its identical in size, design and equipment to the home one.

The top grounds can't do this anymore as far as I know - the likes of The Emirates and OT put themselves forward for hosting UEFA finals and World Cup games etc, and as part of this must have identical home and away dressing rooms (though I suppose the staff could kit out the away dressing room badly for home club games, and switch off the hot water :)).

Done the Santiago Bernabeu tour and they only allowed you into the Away dressing room but they said that its identical in size, design and equipment to the home one.
    I did the Bernabeu tour too but never came across the dressing rooms. When did you do it? I was there back in 2003 just after they won their 7th Euro Cup (I was on a stopover to Buenos Aires!).

Clubs like these might not feel the need to mess with people's heads because they are able to play better football then smaller clubs like middlesbrough and sheffield wed.

Munsters new stadium has pillars put all over the away dressing room so that the coach cannot talk to the whole team,or at least they cannot see each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

"Sportsmanship" like this has always gone on from poorer facilitates and no hot water for showers to the ridicules like sending prostitutes to the opposing teams hotel to try cause trouble
    Remember that nonsense about Man United having heated seats and not providing it for the opposition.

Absolute nonsense to be going on about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Kevster wrote: »
    I did the Bernabeu tour too but never came across the dressing rooms. When did you do it? I was there back in 2003 just after they won their 7th Euro Cup (I was on a stopover to Buenos Aires!).

December 30th last year. It was a year to the day since I'd done the Nou Camp tour so it was a bit weird.

(Real's stadium is better in every tangible way, but the Camp Nou has more soul.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Munsters new stadium has pillars put all over the away dressing room so that the coach cannot talk to the whole team,or at least they cannot see each other.

Sounds like an excuse for appalling architecture rather than sportsmanship in that case! :eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Now that you mention it, United DO win a lot of their home games...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

the one place they don't show you in Old Trafford is the referees room!

now i wonder why that might be.......

1190837_Room-full-of-cash_620.jpg

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

You bitter little man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

it was a joke Des :rolleyes:

Advertisement