Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

St Barrys Half Marathon Tarmonbarry

• 27-09-2009 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Has anybody run this race before?
    Can you give any details on race. Course profile. Approx numbers who run etc.
    Cannot find any info online.

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 3 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 Stars (good)
    66%
    W.B. YeatsIrishman99 2 votes
    3 stars (average)
    33%
    finto87 1 vote
    2 stars (poor)
    0%
    1 Star (terrible)
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Ath36

Thanks in advance for any info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bazman

Google works :)

http://www.athenryac.com/st-barrys-gaa-club-26th-annual-st-barrys-half-marathon

I'd say it's a small local event - best to phone the number of the website I reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Ath36 wrote: »
    Has anybody run this race before?
    Can you give any details on race. Course profile. Approx numbers who run etc.
    Cannot find any info online.

Bloody hell, the time and location are perfect for me. I'm in!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭brutes

Where is St Barrys GAA club??..Anyone know what the course is like...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

I ran it two years ago. There was only about 50 peple entered. St Barrys club house is in Termonbarry (not a big village, easy to find) on the N5 as you leave heading west.

The course goes out the old N5 which is now a quiet country road, crosses the current N5 around mile 6 and turns around to head back for Termonbarry via more back roads. This return leg is a bit hilly, nothing too serious though. Similar to the hills in the Phoenix Park on Sunday.

Not a bad race though. I think there was food provided in the club house after.

• Advertisement

I rang about this, to get some more details, but because its a small event, there wont be too much extra to find out, or info to be found on the web.

The entry fee will be €20 and registration is on the day. No need to prebook.

There is also a kids fun run once the main group has headed off and will be about 3/4 of a mile.

The roads between Tarmonbarry and Strokestown are fairly flat and would be a good opportunity to get a medium distance run in a couple of weeks before the Dublin one, if there are any runners from around the area with nothing better to do on the Sunday morning. Doubt if there will be a medal or teeshirt, cos its a fundraiser for the GAA club, but I'm sure a good spread will be laid out for the finishers.

If I hear any more, I'll post it here. :D

I ran this race yesterday, and just thought I'd post about it, incase anyone is searching the archives next year for info on it.

Registration was on the day, and only cost €20 for the run. There were souvenir tee-shirts handed out at the race.

The start consisted of 53 people, thereabouts and was outside the St. Barry’s grounds. The route headed out the N5 Castlebar road towards Strokestown. After 2 miles we veered left off the N5 and onto the old N5 road, which got us away from the main traffic. Just after the 4M mark and the first water station, there was a climb for over a mile from 150ft to 280ft. At the top, we came back out onto the new N5 and ran a good downhill stretch until we had to turn right towards Scramogue. There was a steep climb to tackle for half a mile with another water station in the middle of it.

That was the tough part of the route. The rest of the way was a small series of hills and dips, but the roads were very straight all the way to the Whitehall School and then back into Tarmonbarry via the Roosky road, past the Esso garage and to the finish at the club house.

The preparation for the race was very well organised, with stewards at every junction and a decent amount of water stations, although some of these were not manned, but I don’t think it caused any problems.

At the finish line, there was plenty of tea, sambos, cakes and biscuits to keep people hanging around and chatting and there was a good crowd for the award ceremony.

I'm not sure where the results or photos will be published, as St. Barry's don’t seem to have a web site,

After reading about the Galway Half Marathon, I was a bit weary about the organisation of this race, but it was carried out very smoothly, without problems and would look forward to doing it again next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Tawfee

Any idea what the winning time was Aimman?

Tawfee wrote: »
    Any idea what the winning time was Aimman?
    Yeah, it was 1:18. Timekeeper said it was 10mins slower than last years time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Aimman wrote: »
    Yeah, it was 1:18. Timekeeper said it was 10mins slower than last years time.
    They have a 1:08 half-marathoner last year, in a field of around 53 people?! Only one person managed it in the Adidas half marathon (and he won the race!).

I would definitely hope to do this next year. is there much over-lap with the Longford marathon route?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

I would definitely hope to do this next year. is there much over-lap with the Longford marathon route?

Only about a kilometer or so, coming in the Roosky road towards Tarmonbarry (as opposed to out the Roosky road from Tarmonbarry as the Longford marathon does) at the end of the course.

Krusty, According to my Garmin, this is the route for the race. As Clum said, there is only a brief overlap on the Longford route along the last mile (going the other way)

http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/ireland/tarmonbarry,-roscommon/163125535280780657

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭kevinkilbane

i did this myself ainman, what a race, i really enjoyed it. the hills were tough but i was prepared for them. i finished 19th and all, couldnt believe it, delighted. i cannot think of one bad thing about this race. and i love the way the "non dubliners" people organise things, and the food afterwards.(the meath races throughout this year were simliar).
    also the tee shirts, even tough i got a xL and im a small haha, didnt mind. for €20, excellent, everyone was so friendly. this is why i chose this HM over the adidas one in dublin. i want to be back next year, hopefully.
    perfect training before the dublin marathon.
    i would recommend this to anyone, and its not even 2hour drive on a sunday morning from dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Krusty, According to my Garmin, this is the route for the race. As Clum said, there is only a brief overlap on the Longford route along the last mile (going the other way)

http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/ireland/tarmonbarry,-roscommon/163125535280780657
    Thanks. It was the Tarmonbarry via Roosky Road bit that threw me. Definitely hope to do this next year, as I'm not fond of the Phoenix Park 1/2 (thought the route seemed a lot better this year).

• Registered Users Posts: 15 watch the hop

Hi folks,

Please note that the St. Barrys Half Marathon, Tarmonbarry, Co. Roscommon will take place on Sunday 10 October next at 11 a.m.

Tarmonbarry village is situated on the N5 Dublin/Westport road, between Longford and Strokestown.

Registration is in St. Barrys GAA clubhouse from 10 a.m. beforehand. Clubhouse is on the N5, Strokestown side of the village. The half is a loop starting and finishing in Tarmonbarry village.

AAI certified course. Prizes in senior and veteran categories for male and female.

€20 entry fee. No pre booking necessary – just turn up on the day. Cotton t-shirt for all race entrants (while stocks last) and plenty of post race refreshments. Walkers welcome.

There will also be a 6km fun run starting at 11.15 a.m.

For location map see also http://www.runireland.com/events/st-barrys-24th-annual-half-marathon-6k-fun-run

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Irishman99

4 Stars (good)
    Anybody planning on taking part in this?
    From previous posters it seems a well orgainised, small event!

Yeah, I'm going for it again this year. Its a bit of an out and back course, with a couple of hills around the 5 and 7 mile mark, but other then that, the roads are long and straight all the way.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/16016392

It is a small event, but its a good way of doing a last medium sized run just at the taper. There's no pressure to race it if you just want a slow pace and there will be walkers on the day too.

There was a decent bit of grub afterwards in the clubhouse. Good bargin for €20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

4 Stars (good)
    Looks I'm going to be doing this as well
    Looking forward to testing the legs again- I'm assuming they'll be able for it after the Dublin Half;)

4 Stars (good)
    So just going to start getting the car packed and heading off to the inlaws for the night in the midlands. The little one has a lovely snotty nose which she seems to have transferred to me as well as a bit of a sore throat. Here's hoping there will be an improvement by tomorrow.
    Did a nice 5k run this morning, hoping that the legs will have enough for tomorrow's half without too much pain, if that's not a paradox!

Good race today. Better turnout then last year.

The dull weather helps to enjoy the run, but a couple of the water stations were not manned and empty (I seen the guy in front of me nab the last cup of water at the 7mile marker and no one there to restock the table.)

The start line was a bit further back this year, but the finish was in the same place and the route was exactly the same, so perhaps they got it remeasured this year.

Lots of grub and refreshments afterwards too. Handy Half marathon for €20. Got a tee shirt also.

Met up with W.B. Yeats before and after the race.

• Advertisement

4 Stars (good)
    Good race today. Better turnout then last year.

The dull weather helps to enjoy the run, but a couple of the water stations were not manned and empty (I seen the guy in front of me nab the last cup of water at the 7mile marker and no one there to restock the table.)

The start line was a bit further back this year, but the finish was in the same place and the route was exactly the same, so perhaps they got it remeasured this year.

Lots of grub and refreshments afterwards too. Handy Half marathon for €20. Got a tee shirt also.

Met up with W.B. Yeats before and after the race.

Nice race, massive contrast between it and the Dublin Half numbers wise.....
    Ran by myself for most of it. Very happy with my time 1.50.09 (spent the last 2 miles busting myself to make it under 1.50 but left the charge just too late). PB by 5 min 43 sec, not too shabby considering that I was only in this to keep the miles in my legs. Thought the course was tough enough, lots and lots of hills- a killer around 6.5miles in. It was cold enough at the start and I made a big mistake wearing a compression top under my tech t-shirt. I was sweating buckets by 3 miles in and had to ditch the top- gave it to a guy directing traffic that left it back in the clubhouse for me- nice man!.
    All in all delighted with the time and enjoyed the race. Great to meet with Aimman before and after- he "forced" me to start right at the front so we'd get our faces in the starting picture and be famous in Longford and Roscommon:D Good spread in the clubhouse after.
    Fair play to the organisers

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Irishman99

4 Stars (good)
    I thoroughly enjoyed this race yesterday!
    I thought it was very organised, great hospitality and wonderful community spirit. One or two of the hills were a bit tough especially around 7m. I found the water stations were very good and plentiful, i counted 5/6 i think. This was my first Half-Marathon and thought everything went smoothly. Price wise, €20 including a T-shirt was very good and enjoyed the refreshments afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭The Hammer

Any results, have only found photos so far.

The Hammer wrote: »
    Any results, have only found photos so far.

Where did you find the photos?

I enquired yesterday about the results for last year and was told they were not on line but they are only be going on line from this year and the results will be on the web. I tried looking for a web site for St. Barry's but couldn't find one, so I dont know where they will be posed. I'll give one of the organisers, Eddie a ring later to get more details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭The Hammer

Ah brilliant, I'm in a good few at the start of them. Not sure about the poses though, lol.

Dont think these are the official ones though, I know there was a club member taking lots of photos during warm ups and I think the majority of people were pictured coming over the finish line.

Bllody hell W.B. Yeats, I thought I has a cheesy grin for the camera, but you take the chedder in some of them haha. Nice souviner for you;-)

4 Stars (good)
    Ah brilliant, I'm in a good few at the start of them. Not sure about the poses though, lol.

Dont think these are the official ones though, I know there was a club member taking lots of photos during warm ups and I think the majority of people were pictured coming over the finish line.

Bllody hell W.B. Yeats, I thought I has a cheesy grin for the camera, but you take the chedder in some of them haha. Nice souviner for you;-)

Excellent photos- you do know that I only stood at the front because you were there don't you :D
    I'm never in race photos so amazing to see me in so many pics at the start- deffo standing up the front in future!
    I must download some of them and keep them as photo evidence of my major "athletic achievements"
    I'd say there would be a big difference between the before and after photos though- at the finish I was pretty peeved at seeing 1.50 up on the clock as I came in. (amazing how the mind can revise history, I was only running yesterday as a training run and by the end of it I was peeved at not breaking 1.50 even though I had knocked over 5 min off pb)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 finto87

3 stars (average)
    theres more pic on racpix.com i ran this on sunday made a 1 hour trip from sligo it was my second time to complete half marathon got a pb of 1.39.34 i ran cautious going at 8 min mile for first 6 miles and started to push on once i hit the hills in second half really enjoyed this race got great satisfaction from my strong run into the end a bit of a downward slope in last few miles but very slight the hill s ealier made up for that. 90 poeple lined up for race.teeshirt and food afterward good atmosphere about . il be back next year for another go at this race.

4 Stars (good)
    finto87 wrote: »
    theres more pic on racpix.com i ran this on sunday made a 1 hour trip from sligo it was my second time to complete half marathon got a pb of 1.39.34 i ran cautious going at 8 min mile for first 6 miles and started to push on once i hit the hills in second half really enjoyed this race got great satisfaction from my strong run into the end a bit of a downward slope in last few miles but very slight the hill s ealier made up for that. 90 poeple lined up for race.teeshirt and food afterward good atmosphere about . il be back next year for another go at this race.

Think they are the same as on Flickr- anyway great to see so many photos from a small race

• Advertisement

I'll have to check the Roscommon and Longford local papers this week too, for any photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 watch the hop

Somewhat belatedly, thanks to all boardsies who supported this event. The Club was very happy with the turnout at both races and thinks both went off very well. Congratulations to all the prize winners across the categories.

Feedback was received in relation to things like water stations during the half marathon and at the finish line, etc. and will be taken into account next year. Hopefully the event will have its own website by then too.

Go raibh maith agaibh arís.

Feedback was received in relation to things like water stations during the half marathon and at the finish line, etc. and will be taken into account next year. Hopefully the event will have its own website by then too.

Go raibh maith agaibh arís.

Just wondering if the results will be published anywhere?

Advertisement